Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lets see if I understand this correctly. You want a secure sling to carry your shotgun but you reject the one solution that works, sling swivels? Isn't that somewhere close to the definition of insanity or is it vanity?

Buy a continental side by side which come with them and get one of their quick buckle on slings to fit. Or, get a French gun (like the Ideal) with the sling built into a reel in the buttstock and an attaching point on the barrels.

The T shaped connector was a standard feature on a Browning Rifle I used to have. Not to be trusted either as in carrying it, the torque on the sling can work the T out of the slot unexpectedly. Sold the rifle. Putting one of those in the forend of a double gun would be a particularly poor choice as the forends on doubles are not built to take the strain of a sling and you will probably be looking for repair in short order as the sling pulls the upper end of the forend away from the locking mechanism which is going to be below it on the forend. That is why Continental doubles have the slings attached to the barrels.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 08/31/10 12:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Slings are for poor guys that spend more time toting their gun than actually shooting it.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the loop sling when walking in to the blind here, one hand has a walking staff and the other my flashlight. When turkey hunting same thing goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, why not use the loop sling when walking to your blind then take it off when shooting, put it back on when leaving. that seems pretty simple. jeff

N Central PA
NRA Endowment
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a couple of European shotguns with sling swivels on them. I don't like the looks, but can't deny the utility. Also have two rifles, same story.

HOWEVER...the swivels are narrow and won't fit a standard American sling. In fact, I haven't found a source for them, width wise. (Haven't looked all that hard.)

I made my own slings from harness leather. Got it at a tack store. And the buckles off an old backpack or camera case, something like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang
I've got a couple of European shotguns with sling swivels on them. I don't like the looks, but can't deny the utility. Also have two rifles, same story.

HOWEVER...the swivels are narrow and won't fit a standard American sling. In fact, I haven't found a source for them, width wise. (Haven't looked all that hard.)

I made my own slings from harness leather. Got it at a tack store. And the buckles off an old backpack or camera case, something like that.

Give Ken a call. He has euro slings that will fit.

http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/store.php?crn=228&rn=490&action=show_detail

Phone (301) 460-9563

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't like the looks or the reliability of a sling on your shotgun and you won't be using your gun until you get to your blind you can always use a gunslip with an attached sling. Galazan and Boyt both sell gun slips with slings here in the states but my favorite is made by Brady in England.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all, for the advice and tips. Jerry is about right, however. It IS crazy to fret so over trying to find something that works better than the old screw in studs and QD swivels. I just hate the things so much on a shotgun.

jeff, that's what I've been doing all these years, just was hoping there might be something better out there. Guess there's not. I'll keep on using the looped end slings, or I'll just go on and screw in the studs and be done with it.

And jOe, they're also for guys like me that have to tote a limit of ducks AND a couple of geese out of a hell-hole of a string of beaver ponds without having to make two trips.

TwiceBarrel, that works fine for getting to and from a blind. But when I wade into some of these swamps around heah' where there ain't nothing resembling a blind, and you just stand for hours in crotch deep water, like the Bayou Meto where there ain't no dry place to lay down a gun for hundreds of yards, and then have to tote it all out, the sling comes in handy. I ain't complainin, I love it all, just trying to improve the workin's of it a little.

Thanks, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.