April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, NCTarheel, SKB, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 416 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#200932 08/27/10 08:04 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I was referred to this forum from the good folks at Gunbroker's Expert Forum.

I have in my possession a Teschner marked side by side number 1893 in Cal 1. pics can be seen here in this GB post if interested:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=468613

Basically I fell in love with the slick under lever design and impressive engravings, horn carvings, etc; so I bought it, now I'm trying to learn more about it and the fellow who made it.

I'm also trying to gauge its approximate age, based on info I found on the web I am thinking this was made before Collath became a partner (1870ish? as far as I can tell) Only Teschner's name appears on this shot gun. I have not stumbled upon any other examples that only have Teschner's name (on the internet)seems most has either both names or just Colath's or Tesco. I am assuming that guns with both names predate ones with just Collath's name, which predates Tesco marked guns. Am I correct in thinking Teschner only marked firearms would predate all the others?

The stock is in pretty poor condition but the receiver and barrels are in very good condition, they were grimy (as seen in the GB pics) but cleaned right up without using any abrasive.

Not sure I want to shoot it but is there a source for Cal 1 ammunition?

Any tips on removing the for end from the receiver? I have removed the nose cap and expected the wood to slide forward but it seems fastened (maybe just grimed in?) I am currently speculating that maybe the metal part on the wood is more than decoration and needs to be removed to get the for end off, am I wrong? I'm being overly cautious and if it fights me I'll just leave it on, removal would allow me to get the grime 100% out is all.

Also any thoughts on approximate value would be appreciated, I am fairly certain this is a keeper regardless of value. I gave $400.00 for and it is worth at least that much to me even if I over paid, however knowing its true ballpark may cause me to adjust either my firearm insurance or plans to display it over the fireplace.

Lastly, my feeling won't get hurt if I over paid for this or if any of my assumptions are out of line, I bought this only because I thought it was neat and paid less then I would have so even if it is only worth $50.00 I'm still comfortable with my buy. so be honest in replying.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Last edited by Jeepflexin; 08/30/10 10:54 AM.

~Pete~

Sergent Of Arms: Delaware Antique Arms Collectors Association
Sidelock
Sidelock

You paid about $360.00 too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome, Pete. IMO you did not pay too much. It's a nice honest antique. Hope you continue to enjoy it.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look close...read the threads. He paid too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to be off the face significantly. I wouldn't shoot it if you do find ammo for it.

It's a nice antique wallhanger. I'd clean up the wood and put some Tru Oil on it, and clean the metal pretty well, it will look great above your mantlepiece. If you're satisified with it, you didn't pay too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think you over paid. It is a very cool looking gun. there appears to be some beautiful engraving on it. It should be put back on face if you are to shoot it. The stock can be fixed better without having to get it restocked if you decided to restore it. It has a very interesting action design.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thought you might be interested. Here is a similar gun to yours. showing the forearm removed.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187098976

Sidelock
Sidelock

If he spent 2 grande on his it might be as nice as that one that's over priced by about a grand.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: wburns
Thought you might be interested. Here is a similar gun to yours. showing the forearm removed.

That one has the barrel removed, not the forend (wood) in this pic I have notated what I have disassembled.

Just can't figure out how the wood slides off.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

~Pete~

Sergent Of Arms: Delaware Antique Arms Collectors Association
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wburns

that is quality gun worth decent money but at $1700 and this presentation he isn't going to "hook" anyone. nice 'old english' pad and new sling or no old pos sling plus some oil and wood wax "polish" would do wonders for that guns' presentation. what this seller has done is listed "house" with old peeling paint with top of the market tag. crazy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.