April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Jimmy W, buckstix, canvasback), 1,013 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,844
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dreamt up the Reader's & Writer's Wingshoot while at my workbench in Oregon wondering how I could get to meet and hunt with Michael McIntosh and Robert F. (Bob) Jones. We had a wonderful time along with some 30 readers shooting pheasants in South Dakota in the Fall of 1995.
We all became friends.
Bob passed a few years back and I will miss Michael in the same way.
They were both good shots, great men and extraordinary writers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

He wrote with style and passion for his subject. I never met him and always assumed our paths would naturally cross at some point. Another reason to do things now rather than put them off or keep them for the future. I'm sure we would have got along and I'm sorry we never got the chance to have a chat over a drink. His work will stand up over time and provide a fitting legacy of his time here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I first met Michael almost 40 years ago in Missouri. I was still a student at Mizzou, and he was barely older. We fished for trout. Many years later we hunted and shot together.

McIntosh's writing was influenced by that of John Madson, who may be the finest writer of outdoor tales we've ever had. Simple, declarative sentences. Michael excelled at spare verbiage. Just a few words. Always the right ones.

Michael was an incomparable companion on a trout stream, hunting lodge, or the line on a driven shoot. He was a master teacher. Only a few words for the student -- the right words.

After learning of his death, I opened "Shotguns and Shooting," and spent some time with Michael.

Fortunately, we can all do that. Just pull one of his books from the shelf, and there he is. What a wonderful gift.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TomGresham

Fortunately, we can all do that. Just pull one of his books from the shelf, and there heis. What a wonderful gift.
Very nice Tom,well said...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Much too young to leave us at only 66. He knew his subject matter as few others did, and he had a graceful way with words in keeping with the graceful guns we all love.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ave, Mr. Mac.

May the birds always rise for you, and the guns swing sweetly.

Relax; we're all experts here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Man o Man! I guess I just assumed he'd always be around. He definitely was a driving force behind my initial s x s obsession, but more than that he was an extraordinary teacher. The old adage "There's no such thing as a stupid question" ? Michael was the perfect man to covertly answer any and all questions, making the reader excited to learn them. A really great writer, Braveheart indeed. R I P

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 08/18/10 03:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had always hoped to meet him. I have four of his books. I will now read the others. I always felt that we had a lot in common...I guess that was part of his style. Someone mentioned short declarative sentances. This is true and reminiscant of Hemingway. But MM was a far more interesting writer.

He did cost me a lot of money. Due to his prose, I have had three "bespoke" guns made!

Sidelock
Sidelock

An observation undoubtedly shared by many: How his death raised him into the pantheon of greats while he was denigrated here for his comments on choke 12 pages ago. Michael McIntosh was a good man whatever his opinions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I have no idea why the recent flap over MM's essay on the obsolescence of choke? It appeared in Shooting Sportsman yrs. ago and in a volume of collected columns from same also published several yrs. ago. Exaggeration and over-simplification "sets the hook". On the one hand but then on the other frequently doesn't.

I did get to meet him (actually I suppose I accosted him like a groupie) at Sandanona at the VC. He was wearing his kiltie, sporran, knee sox and flashes. I gushed about the enjoyment he gave me. He said "Thanks." Always in my pantheon of wordsmiths.

jack

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.