Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

David:

OK OK OK.....

When is it? Anticipation is right. I want to hear how this story ends.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg...Thought your Humor was(IS) great...Let me say just how UN/funny Guns'Standing in the Rack,Guns in Stripped down boxes, Guns in the vice being re-stocked, Guns waiting to have new'Limbs Fitted,Soft bit on the 'back-end of the stock waiting to be Wrapped in'Luxurious Leather' The JP&s i2b O/U in the Setting Bench......Phweeee! that was close, Flashpoint of the Special Oil imported from'Distant Lands"was a split second from'Bursting into Flames"(We always have a bottle of Heineken on stand by, for such emergencys)Iv'e never heard a gun,or rifle Laugh' Mabe its just that I need a few more years at the bench, 1953 was'nt all that long ago..!!!cc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally I wouldn't care if the gun was made for a Russian Czar or for Elvis Presley. It's just a machine made by men. This crap of heaping tons of money on provenance that indicates some illuminary once owned a gun is foolishness. Evaluate the gun for what it is, not for who might have owned it in the past!

JMHO,

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

CptCurl,
No sympathetic magic in your world? The guns can't carry a little foo-foo dust along with 'em? C'mon....

I thought the provenance of interest wasn't so much the Czar, but the discussion of this mysterious gun in Peter Johnson's book. It was the Parker bible of the 60's, the book that today's serious collectors were memorizing when they were VH owners.

Last edited by Yeti; 01/12/07 09:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Evaluate the gun," is for the modest collector/shooter.
Provenance, is for the more advanced among us.
Intangible gun things are just as important as percent of case.
Perhaps the paper chase is the most exciting, to those who can!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this where the side show is lOw'e ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CptCurl
Personally I wouldn't care if the gun was made for a Russian Czar or for Elvis Presley.
Curl

Just out of curiosity - would you care if your double rifle was previously owned by, say, Jim Corbett?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You'd know it wasn't a closet queen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I suppose my statement was a bit provocative, and maybe even hypocritical to a degree. Frankly, I intended it that way!

I'll even confess to having a couple of rifles with interesting provenance. Fortunately not Parkers.
James Woodward "The Automatic"
Charles Lancaster .280 Flanged Nitro Express

Just think: if I were a famous person I could buy garden variety mass produced guns and then re-sell them at handsome profit just so the buyer could crow about the gun having been owned by Roscoe Stephenson! That would be a fine way to make a living, in my mind.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
"Evaluate the gun," is for the modest collector/shooter.
Provenance, is for the more advanced among us.
Intangible gun things are just as important as percent of case.
Perhaps the paper chase is the most exciting, to those who can!

I think you have it backward's Lowell. It is no trick to buy a $75K gun for $75K. Being able to properly and fairly evaluate a gun to determine the quality of the build takes a great deal of knowledge and expertise - Simply purchasing the first gun you find that says "Boss" on it, not so much.

Your fascination and fawning over the secretive "inner-sanctum" of the doublegun world is getting old. I've met many advanced collectors and handled many, many fine firearms. There is no secret handshake or cryptic passwords required to be able to do so.

Then again, there may be a subtle element needed for admission to this club you may not have picked up - you need to actualy go out and meet some of the people who post on this board. You might have to use your real name though. It is not that scary, really.

Ken Georgi

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 01/13/07 10:06 AM.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.