Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello there all, just wondering if anyone would have a ballpark estimate of the value of this shotgun. Supposedly my dad told me it is an 8 gauge. I have a pic of an ithica 10 gauge next to the barrel of the double. thanks for the replies

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven - it comes down to many variables I am afraid , and although I am by no means an expert (plenty are on here though), I have spent some time around some big bores this side of the pond.

More information would be needed on the maker (English?), on the condition, proofing and measurements of the barrels especially, and although the muzzles do not appear in bad shape, it may not be so throughout the remainder of the gun. From the other photos, the wood seems a little worn, but sound and the metal/action fit not bad (although one of the screws seems to bear evidence of some hard work/pressure on it). If you could put up more pictures, you may get some more expert views than mine.

As regards value, it really is a massively wide range; see this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184013936

which is a recent example which appears in some worse condition than yours. A well conditioned double 8 with provenance and a strong wildfowling history/maker can often go for >$7-$8k+ or more.

Last edited by CBL1; 08/13/10 06:29 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yea i could definately get some more pictures up. Would you happen to know of any appraisers this side of the atlantic(maryland area)? I guess i should probably put another post up about that. I was thinking about going onto the antiques roadshow(i'd have to buy a ticket).

Last edited by stevenjames; 08/13/10 06:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks 8 ga. to me.

The maker is English, as I found out from Google. Here's a 10 ga. one in about the same condition offered for $700.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/F-WILLIAMS-10-BORE-SXS-HAMMER-SPORTING-GUN.cfm?gun_id=100037977

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: stevenjames

http://www.gunsinternational.com/F-WILLIAMS-10-BORE-SXS-HAMMER-SPORTING-GUN.cfm?gun_id=100037977
That 10's been sitting there for sale for several years.

8 ga.'s bring a premium over a 10 ga...price depends on condition. To me pitted bores hurt condition the worst. The photo above shows an ill fitting dolls head....either the gun has been 'shot loose' or it was originally a low quality gun. I suspect both.

Hope I didn't offend anyone frown

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

nono don't worry about it, i just want to know what i could about it, i didn't know if i had something special or not

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fredrick Williams was a good maker in Birmingham. I have one very similar in 12 ga. I think 400-500 on yours in a good guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, Birmingham. There (confusingly) were two separate F Williams I believe...although I might be wrong.

To be honest all of the Fred Williams I've seen have not been of a hight build standard and the engraving to me always looked second rate. Still, it looks interesting!

T

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

well i do really appreciate the replies from all you fellas, it seems as if the gun isnt worth quite as much as i thought so. I was about to drop $200 or so on a ticket to the roadshow but i might just forget about it now. thank you though for the replies

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi
I also have a Fred Williams which was my Fathers gun - a 12 bore - address London and Birmingham. Not too sure if it is the same Fred.
Anyone tell me how to add photos and I will post a couple - I have to say it is not the best made gun I have ever handled!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.