April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Roundsworth, LGF, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 844 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#198774 08/10/10 08:59 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Someone on this planet or the next one must have wrote something about getting an Arrieta 2" game gun built. I normally get about 1 or 2 inquires a year on this and now have had 2 in the last 10 days. Forget about it!

There is no savings of weight, which I think some folks expect. Go for the 2 1/2" instead. You have more choices of ammo and you can still use the 2" if thats whats burning a hole in your panties.

Many years ago I built a 12 ga for a friend. He wanted it to come in at 6 lbs. it did. So look toward the 2 1/2" if you just want a short chambered gun. (Or get a 2 3/4" and shim it!)

Best to all

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

Thanks for the info, and you are right - there is an article in the current Shooting Sportsman that talks about 2" guns: "Manufacturas Arrieta" on page 57. It mentions a gun that weighs 5 lbs 15 oz.

Not requesting an order, but just out of curiosity - could you get a 2 3/4" 12 or 16 ga gun at that weight? 2 3/4" just makes so much more sense, with ammo availability being what it is, and, as you say, you could still shoot the 2" or 2 1/2" if that's what floats your boat.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I mentioned, we did a 6 lbs. 12 ga 2 3/4" Thats close enought to 5 lb. 15 oz in my book

Best

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well John, I hate to disagree with you but I still think a good case can be made for the Arrieta 2" gun and here's why. First off let me say that my Wingshooter's Light Game Gun with 27" barrels weighed exactly 5 lbs. 13 ozs. on a dead accurate scale. It's action was smaller than a standard 12, I think it was built on a 16 frame. It was proofed for standard CIP pressures so obviously it could have been made with 2 1/2" chambers but that wouldn't be a good idea because then you have a gun that some fool can stuff 2 3/4" shells into. That's one of the unknowns when you buy a used 2 1/2' chambered gun, has some fool fired a few hundred rounds of SAMI 2 3/4" shells thru it? Most of the time of course, no problem, but with a lightly made gun like the Arrieta two incher it would be a problem. I sold mine several years ago in a moment of silliness but would love to get another and with 25" barrels, Churchill rib and a 14" stock believe that the weight could be held to five and three quarter lbs.
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

You won't find a Spanish 2" approaching the weight of some of the Brit 2" guns--some of which are also proofed to the 2 1/2" CIP standard. Of course that can be a curse as easily as a blessing. A lot of people have discovered that they do not shoot a 5 1/4# gun all that well--whether it's a Brit 2" or a very light 28ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

i see little use for light game gun but my 8&3/4lb magnum will see plenty of action this november.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PJ, have you ever hunted ruffed grouse in dense tangles of briars? Have you ever hunted bobwhite quail? I'd love to watch you lug your magnum around all day in hilly, rock strewn brambles.
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

John is spot on!
I'm a 2" 12 fan and would have liked a 2" Arrieta but everyone I actually weighed or asked to have weighed was over 6#'s. With the era of digital scales, there is no more "I think it weighs".
The Brit boxlock 2" is a thing of the past as no one makes one and in my research, even Weisman's who own the Skimin & Wood name and whatever else was left over from the 'Blitz' cannot make you one. Now maybe Purdey or Holland will make you a sidelock but the cost, well you the know the old adage.
My J&W Tolley branded Abercrombie and Fitch weighs 5# 7oz, was proofed in 1939 and sold by Abercrombies in 1943(Letter and copy of sales record from G&H).
The action was probably made by Skimin & Wood and other parts by various Birmingham makes and assembled by Tolley as that's how those guns were made. G&H sales records show a number of small batches of these guns were made for A&F over the years and sold, so there are more out there. So if you want a true 2" 12 bore and are not willing to spend a small fortune, start looking or for a very nice 2&1/2" 12 bore(Arrieta makes fine guns, I don't know why I don't own one?), purchase an Arrieta from John!. -Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 08/11/10 09:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two 2 inch guns in the current Holt's listing for the sale of 23Sep2010. One a lovely Alex Henry in fine condition weighing all of 5 lbs. 5 oz. Wonderful rough shooting gun.

The only known existing rifle previously owned by C. Selous up for sale as well.

Best Regards;

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nialmac
PJ, have you ever hunted ruffed grouse in dense tangles of briars? Have you ever hunted bobwhite quail? I'd love to watch you lug your magnum around all day in hilly, rock strewn brambles.
Nial

A two inch chambered twelve gauge is not the only, the easiest or the most sensible option for a gun to use, in lieu of a heavy duck gun, for bobwhite quail. It makes little sense to me either, unless someone just wants to have something different from most everyone else. A 20 or 28 is a much more economical and reasonable way to have a lightweight game gun, which will be used with 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads, than a two inch chambered twelve.

I've seen a lot of different guns and loads used for quail in my lifetime of chasing them, but never saw a two inch twelve. The overwhelming majority of quail hunters would think it is an answer to a problem that never existed. Me included.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.