April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fudd, Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein, skeettx, Birdog, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose, IMO there are two big problems with this gun, first, extra full chokes, second, huge kick. I've been forced by two these facts to sell the gun. If your friend opens chokes, kick will remain the same. This gun is not for quail hunting and thats for sure.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, full chokes aren't that bad, have a practical application and actually can be beneficial. Just lighten the load and you can shoot in short sleeves like Dig.

Here's an interesting G.L. Rasch that Marc forwarded to me:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,
On the outside, that Rasch looks alot like a T. Woodward spiral spring action. Alot like it actually, all the way down to the shape of the top tang, the "rolling" safety, cocking indicators and the shape of the underlever. Internally however.....all kinds of different!!! Neat gun.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin:

On the surface I had thought so too but the internal mechanism/mousetrap is as you note "different". I'll bet the tubes were sourced from Britian. I just posted it here but intend to put it on a Georg Ludwig Rasch thread.

An interesting Collath(TESCO), who was a maker to the trade: (No. 124) http://www.altejagdwaffen.de/Details.155.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=1&tx_fwwcat_pi1[showUid]=88

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been lucky to have found a few Collath drillings and SxS in the last few years.

In two examples, both C1 or 12 Gauge, the chokes were extra full. C1 (Collath #1) has been problematic for me as the typical 12 gauge shell does not fit (atleast in these examples). As I am against rechambering the gun, I am having a good gunsmith build custom "chamber mates" for 20 gauge which I belive will work well. I will report when these are completed.

For the last few years, I have been hunting upland with Collath C3 (16 gauge) drilling which in my examples have been a little snug but work well (I use polywad 16 2.5"). One in particular is chambered in 16x16x 8x57 (.318). It allowed me to take a coyote while in the field for birds....quite accurate I may add.

In my opinion, Collaths are great guns and have proven to be my favorite.

Per the action, I am attaching a few pictures I took when one Collath drilling I received from Cabelas a few years back was missing the firing pin and needed a new spring... luckily, my gunsmith had the capability to handmake replacements.

Last edited by kcordell; 07/15/10 10:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Kcordell for the effort. The pics give insight as to mousetrap. I assume it was the rifle striker/spring that was missing? Any interesting stamps on the back side of the frame? I see a few but can't make heads or tails of them. Where does the safety engage; at the top of the 3 hammers?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Thanks for the reply. The spring for the left shot barrel was worn and was replaced. You can see in the picture that it didnt engagew with the hammer. Correct, the firing pin for the rifle was not present whe I got the gun.

I cannot get better pictures of the proofs now as it has been professionally repaired... I would rather not disasemble now and have the chance of buggering a screw.

Here are a few photos of other Collath proofs.. I hope they help.

For kicks... Interesting Collath Hammergun

Last edited by kcordell; 07/16/10 11:15 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Axel E. of GGCA as I now understand why most of the Teschner-Collaths had Witten's Excelsior steel: the Berger lock design, actually Teschner-Collath adopted Berger's design but on a blitz action, is by the Witten steel Bergers, Constans Louis Berger and Carl Ludwig Berger. The Berger name didn't connect, but I knew that they had a very nice glass display at the factory entrance with Walloon steel articles, if I remember correctly, as well as the composition of Excelsior steel and data on tubes that were tested. All along with steel articles of interest. I think Heinrich Erhardt worked at the factory before founding his business in Zella Sankt Blasii. Also Axel notes that in the mid to late 1800 Colt was a big importer of 44mm stock steel from Berger and that the Peacemakers were made of that stock steel. I wonder if any of the early Colt doubles were of the same steel??

Kcordell:
I was browsing thru your marks and I now notice the 8X72 Brenneke. That's a pretty rare bird whether it's a 8X72 Brenneke, 8.2X72 Sauer or 8X72 Collath. Did you procur some ammo for it or just cobble it up to fit the chamber?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Yep, 8x82 B. Found brass for it but haven't futzed with it just yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Research of Axel E. of GGCA appears to indicate that not only did Witten supply the tubes for Teschner-Collath examples but also was sourced for raw forgings for those who made longarms based on the Berger(Berger-Witten) lock design. So the steel of the longarm is composed of Witten steel.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.