April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, Jimmy W), 1,068 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#195478 07/12/10 05:01 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello Folks,
Looking at a Merkel O/U 20 ga. 26 inch barrel serial number 178606.
The shop does not have any information on this model.

What would be the best source (unless I am already here) to find out the model of this Merkel.

It is in very good condition and I am thinking of trading in a few item and some cash. I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing more about the model,year made and a fair market value.

Regards,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

based on the info provided and assuming very good original condition it's worth between $2000 and $20,000.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
based on the info provided and assuming very good original condition it's worth between $2000 and $20,000.

PJ, Thanks for your reply.

I hope to learn more about this O/U to help me make a educated decision to purchase this Merkel. I guess I could offer them $2,000, but I am not that type of person. I would rather have the proper information to make a fair estimate of the value. This would be reasonable for both parties.

Regards,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Jagermeister is trying to tell you is that you haven't given us anything on which to base a value estimate. We need details, photos, close-ups of the proof marks, measured specifics, etc. A 20 gauge O/U could range from their entry level gun ($2,000) to their top of the line gun ($20,000.)

God Bless America.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Super Grade, I don't think anyone can identify the model you are interested in from just the serial number. Even if we could, we could not guesstimate a value without some idea of condition. Date of manufacture and identification would be possible if you could post pictures of the gun, including the stampings on the barrels and elsewhere on the gun. No one is ignoring your request, we just need more information; otherwise Jagermeister's estimate of worth is about all you're going to get...Geo

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Chief and Geo for your replies.

I thought with the serial number it would be cross referenced to the model of the Merkel O/U. I could then at least narrow it down to the value per condition of the model and year made.

I do not have the Merkel. I wanted to find out more before I decided to purchase it.

The orginal information I posted was all I had.

Am not a Shotgun O/U guy. Mostly custom 1911's, Modern Revolvers Colt and S&W and few longuns (lever action, bolt, AR and I do have a Rem 870.

I know with a serial number I can get a lot of informaion with the firearms I mentioned above.

Should the Merkel make it home I will then post some picks and I am sure you will then all chime in.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Steve,
If in your shoes I would contant Merkel Suhl (just google it) with the serial number and ask them about the model and when it was made. You should get their answer within a week or so (in my experience). Then tell us about their answer and you will get an accurate estimate.
If you want the answers faster give us some good photos.
With kind regards,
Jani

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: montenegrin
Hello Steve,
If in your shoes I would contant Merkel Suhl (just google it) with the serial number and ask them about the model and when it was made. You should get their answer within a week or so (in my experience). Then tell us about their answer and you will get an accurate estimate.
With kind regards,
Jani

Jani,
Thank you for your post.
I did contact Merkel here in the USA. There computers did not cover that serial number range. I then emailed Merkel-Waffin and have not heard back from them. Since I was unsuccessful with those two attempts I posted here.

I hope to hear back from M-W in time. I will try to get some pictures next time I stop by the gun shop.

Once I get the model number I can then use my Blue Book of Gun Values and opinions from the gentlemen on this board.

Regards,
Steve

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: montenegrin
Hello Steve,
With kind regards,
Jani

Hi Jani,
Heard back from Merkel-Waffen today. It took awhile they where on vacation.
Dear Mr. Jimenez,

Thank you for your inquiry. We could find out, that your O/U Shotgun with serial number 178606 is model 201E and was manufactured and shipped to the USA in 1988. The following technical information is available, too:

Barrel length = 66cm

Choke combination = ¼-3/4

Stock = dark wood

Engravings = English arabesques with hunting scenes

Best regards

Your Merkel-Team

I will try and do some reseach on GunBroker and the likes as well as Cabelas to see if I can find a fair value of the O/U before I make an offer. I would rate this Merkel O/U as about 95 % condition. It has the english stock. The forend and stock are in excellent condition and there are no marks or scratches on the metal or wood. Does not seem like it was shot much and the action is still very tight. Will hopefully find a fair value from some resource.

Thanks everyone for your help. If I end up getting this O/U I will post pictures.

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun was made in East Germany. The 201E was the next to the lowest grade OU (that was the 200E). Chokes are basically improved cylinder/improved mod--pretty good for hunting. Barrels just a hair over 26", which is a bit short according to the current trend, but not bad. In 20ga, I'd say somewhere in the $2500 range, give or take a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.