April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, oskar, ClapperZapper, 12boreman, 2 invisible), 1,009 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,118
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

QTRHRS, which items in the GR auction do you wish you had bid higher? By the way, the guns on GR that sell for a low price are those the owner should be happy to see "gone".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I'm skeptical that Mr. Dog is really selling every one of those guns. Maybe he is, maybe he ain't.

There's a seller on Ebay of machine tools - Reliable in LA, who has similarly astounding auction results. Even when guys who know machine tools are amazed at the high dollars he gets for crap.

In fact, he's attracted enough attention that people have gone out of their way to analyze several of his auctions - and proven beyond any doubt he is shill bidding his own stuff. Often, he sells items to himself, it would seem. People have complained to Ebay with solid proof but of course Ebay is not about to pursue action against a top seller.

I know I'm a lot older than most of you guys but I'll tell you something you learn in life....if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Could be true, BUT if an item sells no matter who buys it, the seller pays the auction fee. If the guy is buying or shill buying he could run up some serious fees pretty quick. Ebay likes high volume cuz they get a piece of every sale. I would suppose that gunbroker does too - only a fool auction site would not.

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO: The biggest problems with gunbroker are as follows:

*No re-listing fees which leads to endless listings of the same crap ala Sly.
*Reserve auctions and high starting prices**. Eliminate them and you've eliminated one of the most seriously abused areas.

As I stated earlier unless I'm looking for something specific anymore which is rare I avoid gunbroker since I believe it's a waste of time.
I will check out the gunrunner auction site as suggested and see how the run things.
**When I have sold items in the past I've started my auctions at 99 cents.
Gun auctions to me are a lot like Texas Holdem. If you not a big enough boy to play with the others stay the hell out of the game.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I too have gotten about fed up with wasting my time scrolling through the same crap with outlandish reserve prices. I wonder if you could get ejected from these sites if you clicked on "Ask seller a question" in these auctions, and asked things like, "Dear Sir, I noticed that the reserve price on this gun is far above it's current market value... did you perhaps allow a hydrocephalic monkey to set the reserve?"

This would be lots of fun, especially on AuctionArms, where your questions are posted to the auction.

I'd say 75% of the time when I ask a question on GB on these "Reserve" Auctions, I get zero reply. And I mean simple questions, like what are the chokes???

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'd say 75% of the time when I ask a question on GB on these "Reserve" Auctions, I get zero reply. And I mean simple questions, like what are the chokes???

Same here. Especially surprising when the seller seems to be a legitimate dealer rather than a hobbyist.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Setting a hidden reserve sets in motion a "reverse auction" at a glacial pace as week after week and reposting after reposting prospective buyers patiently hunt for reduced but still hidden reserves. The same can be done to a local consignment gun by the simple act of walking away and coming back later to check the tag. I see nothing wrong with a high starting bid as candor concerning one's ridiculous expectations causes no one additional effort above and beyond looking at the ad and a scoffing ejaculation. The problem with penny starts is Christmas week and SuperBowl Sunday. Despite the presupposed mass audience, you might just get your one cent in a thin auction crowd. Won't catch me bragging on Texas Holdem as an eleemosynary activity!

jack

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
Setting a hidden reserve sets in motion a "reverse auction" at a glacial pace as week after week and reposting after reposting prospective buyers patiently hunt for reduced but still hidden reserves. The same can be done to a local consignment gun by the simple act of walking away and coming back later to check the tag. I see nothing wrong with a high starting bid as candor concerning one's ridiculous expectations causes no one additional effort above and beyond looking at the ad and a scoffing ejaculation. The problem with penny starts is Christmas week and SuperBowl Sunday. Despite the presupposed mass audience, you might just get your one cent in a thin auction crowd. Won't catch me bragging on Texas Holdem as an eleemosynary activity!

jack

That can happen. I just listed a used Benelli Camo buttstock for a SBE starting at 5 cents two weeks ago. Figured it would sell for at least 75 bucks (price a new one). It sold for the 5 cents. That wasn't a gun of course, but bottom line is it take 2 at least to bid something up when auctions start at 1 cent. PS. I don't think that would happen with any Parker, Fox, Ithaca, etc. Parts fall into a totally different category for sure.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

On GunBroker, the 'auto-bid' feature pegs your initial bid, if high enough, at the reserve price. I usually bid what I'd like to buy it for and if it fails to satisfy the reserve, I walk away and let someone else find the reserve...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The one penny bids are for sellers that have found their audience. Jack the Dog and gunrunner have found their audience by fair dealing and will not be victimized by a one cent sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That can happen. I just listed a used Benelli Camo buttstock for a SBE starting at 5 cents two weeks ago. Figured it would sell for at least 75 bucks (price a new one). It sold for the 5 cents. That wasn't a gun of course, but bottom line is it take 2 at least to bid something up when auctions start at 1 cent. PS. I don't think that would happen with any Parker, Fox, Ithaca, etc. Parts fall into a totally different category for sure.

$.o1 auctions are for sellers who get the guns and gun parts they have listed from consignors and have no cost invested.
When you pay for something, like your SBE stock, a reserve of $75 would have been the way to go. You must remember that anyone really wanting to buy a SBE stock may take weeks to even find your listing, so a reserve keeps it active until enough buyers can locate your item so you can at least get a fair shot of recovering at least a fraction of your cost in the item.
As it is, it could be very likely your SBE stock will show up again for sale by your buyer at starting bid of $75 and that will make you feel a little cheated.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.