April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 440 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Phi,

Even if Einstein supported the "water hose" theory I could not buy it, let alone Greener.

Please think about it: how can a swarm of pellets leaving the barrel milliseconds after you
pull the trigger at +/- 1,200ft/sec be "modified" by you moving the barrel?

Come on! smile

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JayCee
Hi Phi,

how can a swarm of pellets leaving the barrel milliseconds after you
pull the trigger at +/- 1,200ft/sec be "modified" by you moving the barrel?

JC

JayCee, that's exactly what I'm asking. You're not explaining to me how it can't be modified. You're taking it for granted that I agree with you and I simply don't know one way or the other anymore. What I'm asking for is an explination of why barrel swing can't effect shot string. To me it seems like it would.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
See Bob Brister The Art and Science of Shotgunning. He did it all with pix decades ago.

shot column heights are what they are. Who GAF? Shot strings are choke effect dependent. and once again Who GAF? Worry about something you can affect.

And if you are at that hose analogy for shot charges/strings you are in some serious trouble and in massive conflict with the physical universe. JIC you might have wondered.

Dr.WtS

Wonko I'm sorry but that's ignorant... that's like saying bullet head spacings "are what they are". We're talking about ballistics here. EVERYTHING has an effect.

Last edited by phideaux2003; 07/23/10 11:39 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
You can always tell a Texan,,,,,,,,,,,but not much. The shotstring does not even exist until after the shot has left the muzzle, so how could moving the muzzle (after it's gone) affect it?
The impression you've been under is simply wrong. As shotgunners, we are plagued with myths, false impressions and old wives' tales. This is just one more of them.

Jim, please understand that I'm not arguing with you. My understanding of the subject has been found to be incomplete and down right wrong and I just want to know why. You keep telling me I'm wrong, but that doesn't help me. I want to understand this subject. That's why I posted the OP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
You can always tell a Texan,,,,,,,,,,,but not much. The shotstring does not even exist until after the shot has left the muzzle, so how could moving the muzzle (after it's gone) affect it?
The impression you've been under is simply wrong. As shotgunners, we are plagued with myths, false impressions and old wives' tales. This is just one more of them.

Why do we keep the muzzle moving ?

To sling the string.....think with yer dip stick Jammy crazy

The shot string is not as long in a 1 & 1/4 oz balanced load as in say an over stuffed 2 &1/4oz 12 ga. load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've done my best to avoid commenting in this thread, but now it's just impossible to ignore.

The hose nozzle analogy always fishes me in.

The effect of the choke is near exactly analogous to a nozzle. The shot is spread logitundially by the choke, and stop action photographs prove that.

The shotstring starts in the shotcup. Some pellets are ahead of others. Only if the bore was big enough to accomodate a single layer of pellets would there be no shotstring.

The length of the shotstring at the target is effected by, as mentioned, the degree of choke, the roundness of the pellets, and the TIME OF FLIGHT.

The possible effect of muzzle motion on spreading the pattern radially is not illogical to consider. In fact, if the shot charge took a long time to exit the muzzle the effect would be measureable simply because trailing pellets would be given a different vector at exit. The key is relative motion and time. Since the charge which is very short, passes the muzzle very quickly at exit, the pellets are given essentially the same vector. It's impossible for the gunner to move the gun fast enough to create any measureable spread. It's not a dumb question, it's just not something that can be measured because the effect is tiny at our muzzle speeds.

The 'follow through' is neurological. It takes time, quite a bit of it actually, from the time your brain says 'fire' to the exit time of the shot charge. The 'follow through' so necessary to hit the target assures the launch point is as intended and not 10 feet behind like it is if you fail to 'follow through'. This is experimentally proven every time I miss a bird.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: phideaux2003
Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
See Bob Brister The Art and Science of Shotgunning. He did it all with pix decades ago.

shot column heights are what they are. Who GAF? Shot strings are choke effect dependent. and once again Who GAF? Worry about something you can affect.

And if you are at that hose analogy for shot charges/strings you are in some serious trouble and in massive conflict with the physical universe. JIC you might have wondered.

Dr.WtS

Wonko I'm sorry but that's ignorant... that's like saying bullet head spacings "are what they are". We're talking about ballistics here. EVERYTHING has an effect.

I was tempted to repost my above comments in BOLD so that you might be able to absorb that info in a more efficacious manner. But I decided that clearly you lack the ability to read and comprehend so I passed on that. I will reluctantly refrain from commenting on your ancestry as well.

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
I've done my best to avoid commenting in this thread, but now it's just impossible to ignore.

The hose nozzle analogy always fishes me in.

The effect of the choke is near exactly analogous to a nozzle. The shot is spread logitundially by the choke, and stop action photographs prove that.

The shotstring starts in the shotcup. Some pellets are ahead of others. Only if the bore was big enough to accomodate a single layer of pellets would there be no shotstring.

The length of the shotstring at the target is effected by, as mentioned, the degree of choke, the roundness of the pellets, and the TIME OF FLIGHT.

The possible effect of muzzle motion on spreading the pattern radially is not illogical to consider. In fact, if the shot charge took a long time to exit the muzzle the effect would be measureable simply because trailing pellets would be given a different vector at exit. The key is relative motion and time. Since the charge which is very short, passes the muzzle very quickly at exit, the pellets are given essentially the same vector. It's impossible for the gunner to move the gun fast enough to create any measureable spread. It's not a dumb question, it's just not something that can be measured because the effect is tiny at our muzzle speeds.

The 'follow through' is neurological. It takes time, quite a bit of it actually, from the time your brain says 'fire' to the exit time of the shot charge. The 'follow through' so necessary to hit the target assures the launch point is as intended and not 10 feet behind like it is if you fail to 'follow through'. This is experimentally proven every time I miss a bird.

Excellent! Thank you shotgunjones. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Wonko, you however have still merely given a statement with, until now, no explination. Thusly your statement was taken as opinion, one I happened to not understand. Rather than explain it you chose to chastise me as ignorant and an idiot. I hope to heaven you're not a teacher. You'd be a miserable failure if you were.

Thank you again shotgunjones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Series of individual 1/1,000,000 second exposures showing shotgun firing shot & wad separation.

Individual photos of the time series.
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/exhibit-shotgun-blast.html

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Since the charge which is very short, passes the muzzle very quickly at exit, the pellets are given essentially the same vector. It's impossible for the gunner to move the gun fast enough to create any measureable spread.

That's the heart of it. The shot is traveling down the bore essentially as compact as a slug. The muzzle would have to be moving fast enough to send the leading pellet in one direction and the last pellet (1" behind?) to clear the muzzle in a diferent direction. The entire shot load (if it averaged 1200 fps) spent only 0.002 seconds in the 30" bore from ignition to exit...moving on average just 1 inch in .00006 second.

So, the last pellet leaves the muzzle .00006 second behind the first....how much has the swinging muzzle moved in that time? Help me out here.

Targets can fly 50 mph and a swing-thru shooter can start behind one and accelerate thru it, so we can swing a muzzle at least 50 mph (right?). If so, the muzzle moves 880 inches/sec.....that's about 0.05" in the .00006 second delay from the first to last pellet.
So, if we shot a pattern at 40yds from a static muzzle, then moved the muzzle 0.05" and shot again, we'd be simulating a 50mph swing on a 40 yd crosser. The pattern center displacement would be 2" (?) Can we locate a pattern center shift to within+/- 1" at 40 yds? I think not.

OK, Rocketman.....you owe me a math/logic check. wink

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.