April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, Fudd, Ted Schefelbein, skeettx, 2 invisible), 478 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,156
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#196078 07/17/10 03:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys, thought I'd share my learning with everyone. I've not setup my color case hardening facility...still practicing and will put some pictures up of my first test attempt soon!

http://www.vintageshotgun.com/

Regards,
TT

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi folks, after a couple of tests I decided to case colour harden the first part of my Greener. I'm quite happy with it and it's not too harsh. Pictures below and more on my blog.

It's one of those things you just have to try and experiment with. I plan to do the hammers and sidelock plates next.

If you are interested and want to see more the blog has more and the pictures are bigger there.

Regards,
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice Tony,

Good colors and does not look 'gaudy' as so many do......I personally like the grays and blues....a little straw is good sometimes....

2 to 1 B-C..?.......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Doug, I think it was about 50/50 but I'll double check and come back to you. I actually think it's quite nice and kind of closer to what it might have looked like...I've asked Michael Greener for his view.

Regards,
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony:

I have been quenching in very pure rain water and found it the best for colours....the quench tank I built has a PVC pipe aerator in the bottom with multiple holes that supplies lots of O2.......which is critical as you know.....

I have a holding tank that collects rain water for just that purpose.....

Yes, Tony, your colours do look more original than most, again, very nice indeed.....

As you know, each effort is like a "snowflake", no two are alike......and they look very different in different light....

Here's an old Marlin & LC Smith I did, Marlin made in 1895.....38-55......five or so years ago on these two......

12 Ga LC Smith 1926 .......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug they loook superb!! Rainwater, interesting, we have a water butt on the end of the house, will refill with this water. Did you chill the water too? When you airate how fine are the bubbles? I just shove the end of the hose of a hobby compressor at the bottom of the quench barrel..

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony:

No, I do not chill the water, outside air temperature is fine....

I drilled the PVC pipe with lots of small holes and placed it lengthwise in the tank so all the bottom area is covered with lot's of very fine bubbles, it has a vertical stand pipe with an elbow and the compressor fitting on that elbow.......has worked quite well for years....

Played with different combinations of B-C and other additions, times, temps, etc., just to experiment with different colours........lot's of fun as you have found out.......

I don't spray clear lacquer on them, as I think it looks tacky...JMO.......and it also yellows later and really looks nasty.........

Here's a couple more different ones Tony.......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are good, real good, both of you.
With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Birmingham many years back there was a place that did the best colour case hardening, outside of the workshop was a large water trough that was also used by the workers to pee in some say this helped the colour!! worth a try I have the old Johnsons formula for colour hardening I will see if I can dig it out

Sidelock
Sidelock

**Thank You Jani............

**Barrel Browner, I would like to see the old Johnson's formula if you dig it out sometime, thank you.......may try the pee thing, then again, maybe not....?......Send a PM if you would like, thank you........

Best Regards,

Doug

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.