May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ken Nelson, David Williamson, eeb, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 310 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,928
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OB
Muriatic acid (HCL) is much safer and easier to get at any hardware store. Mix it 50/50 with water and immerse the degreased parts until clean. After cleaning, rinse the parts well with baking soda/ water solution to neutralize acid. Apply WD-40 or some other water displacer immediately as the metal is chemically clean and will rust in a heartbeat.

OB

I'm with OB, Muratic Acid (swimming pool acid) will clean the parts like new....any crustation or oxide will be removed A.S.A.P.....use heavy nylon fishing line to submerge each part, then dip immediately into a fresh water pail/bucket....inspect and re-dip as needed.........then as OB said, oil immediately.....

I use it at 75 acid- 25 water- (sometimes at 100% acid) and have had great results with all kinds of metal parts, guns, airplanes, engines and so forth.....you must stand over the process as the time submerged must be watched........don't run off to answer the phone..........

Do this process outside and do not breath the fumes.........common sense rules here.......and have a water hose running slowly along side this process.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have an oil stained concrete driveway, use the muriatic acid to clean your driveway while you're at it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. Once again here in the UK I can't seem to get hold of it higher than 36% will that do the job albiet slower?? thanks chuck for the tip! smile

TT

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

this is the strongest ive found so far fellas;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hydrochloric-Acid-36%25---Brick-%26-Patio-Cleaner-5-litres_W0QQitemZ130371604843QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=c354b2321230a0aad3b48f74fefec0d3

Sidelock
Sidelock

Surely they sell "swimming pool acid" in the UK...which is "Muratic acid"..............in the U.S. it can be purchased at most grocery stores in the warmer climate areas...........I know they sell it in Italy and Spain because I have bought it there.......?........U.K., not sure...........

And Chuck, I didn't think your cars and trucks leaked oil.....?............You could also use it to clean your BBQ grates.........!.......(probably against the law in California...?)

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

will keep trying Doug might find it somewhere...that 36% brick cleaner not good enough?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony:

I think the Hydrochloric Acid Brick cleaner @ 36% would be very weak for etching and cleaning metal parts..........JMO.........I would call a 'swimming pool' supply house in one of your larger cities, I am sure they would have Muratic Acid full strength...?.......Any good hardware store should also have it....?........Maybe your laws do not allow full strength acid to be sold...?...........?......

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yep OK will try but the UK is extremely strict over this sort of crap...crazy...will try pool supplier tomorrow

Cheers

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

The link above will tell you about hydrochloric acid.

I was thinking common "pool supply" muriatic acid was quite a bit less than 100%, thinking around 40%. Turns out that about 40% is about all that can be produced.

The strength needed seems to be about 18% for steel pickling. 36% would surely be effective at stripping the oxide scale.

From wikipedia

Pickling of steel
One of the most important applications of hydrochloric acid is in the pickling of steel, to remove rust or iron oxide scale from iron or steel before subsequent processing, such as extrusion, rolling, galvanizing, and other techniques.[6][8] Technical quality HCl at typically 18% concentration is the most commonly used pickling agent for the pickling of carbon steel grades.

Last edited by Chuck H; 07/06/10 07:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Muratic Acid full strength

MuraMic Acid.

Geno.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.