May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (buckstix, Nitrah, eeb, ithaca1, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,668
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Print Thread
#194333 07/02/10 03:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentleman:

A retired hunter offers me to sell his shotgun. If some of you know about the maker, pleasse comment. He does not know how much ask for it and I have no idea of the value.

Bayard
Herstal, Belgique.
Demiblock
Acier especial

It is a 12 ga SxS boxlock action, double trigers, ejectors, nice engraving but in really bad condition (used and abused: cracked wood, heavy handling marks, the blueing in the barrels at the forend is almost gone).
Even the bad conditions, I think the shotgun is shotable because it closed fine (on face?).

Any idea for a fair price to offer for this shotgun?

It is a Belgian clunker?

I hope someone could help.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun was made by Henri Pieper, a major Belgian maker:
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20p/a%20pieper%20henri%20gb.htm

Bayard is a registered trademark of Pieper. They did not really start using it until his son, Nicholas took over the business. The Bayard trademark was around for 50+ years. During that time, many guns were produced. Some low end, some very nice guns.

This is a case of judging the gun, not the name. From the sound of it, this one sounds like a wall hanger. There are many Pieper guns around. Find a better example and you will be happy you did.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

henri pieper was to shotgun what henry ford was to the automobile. i read in sporting gun that his factory was one of the first to use assembly line and interchangeable parts plus monobloc method of construction for double gun barrels.

i would pass on the one you describe as it's clearly well past its best if used by date.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the information provided.

The shotgun has the same action as the photo with the red background.

As I saw, the shotgun could be used for hunting because there is no safety issues (aparently), only cosmetic.
It was a nice shotgun but his owner do not take care of it.

Please tell me how much can I offer for the shotgun. The owner insist in sell it to me.

Regards,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jose

I am the owner of the Pieper in the photo with the red background. It is the same gun as the picture with the black background. I have several others. I also wanted to bid on the sidelock shown in Pete's collection of photos but couldn't at the time.

I suspect, given your brief description of the gun, that I have a gun very similar, although it sounds like mine is in much better shape. While I am always interested in better quality Piepers (Who knows why when it comes to collecting!) I would be unlikely to pay much more than $400 for the gun you are describing. Again this is conjecture because I have seen any pictures but that's probably a reasonable ballpark figure. Besides, once you're down to a price that low, the price swing can only be so much.

I sure like shooting mine.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

James:

Your comments and guessing value are just great for me.
I am "south of the border" and here almost nobody knows about fine and old shotguns.
Your shotgun is really in excelent condition; the one I talk about, for sure, once was as beautifull as yours, but previous owners do not take care of her.

I will offer the $400 USD you advise me and see what happens. I can do some reworking to the wood and obtain a serviceable shotgun.

If the shotgun "change hands" I promess I will show some photos on the forum.

Thank you for the helping.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose, I would place Bayard/Pieper as Brand Value four (BV4) as they are a known Continental brand, but a brand not generally highly reguarded by the market. The gun in the photo looks to be between a best work BLE (OQ5) and a second grade BLE (OQ6). That would make it Original Quality grade OQ5 or OQ6. The condition sounds like "Shootable but needs repairs or restoration" to "Marginally shootable, significent repairs required soon". That would make the Current Conditiion level at CC7 or CC8. So, BV4-OQ5-CC7 = $466, BV4-OQ5-CC8 = $292, BV4-OQ6-CC7 = $344, and BV4-OQ6-CC8 = $215. James is certainly in the envelope in his estimate. If it is sound to shoot, that moves the value up toward the top of the range, as James states.

Hope that helps some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose,

Pieper's of this quality are not seen very often outside of Europe. It is certainly worth the $400 if you can bring it back to shootable condition. I am glad collectors like James choose to share photo's of their guns. Otherwise, most of us would never see them at all. We would only the very low end guns that Pieper produced...

A very low end gun that was mass marketed here.

Pieper had his hand in many things. This is his 1883 electronic trigger.

His hybrid auto from the 1890's

He produced this for a contract with the Mexican government.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.