April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, you missed a few. You do not know who the owner is, what he paid for the lovely and rare pair, or whether he plans to sell them or shoot them upon completion of the work. Once again, thanks for your deep insight.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took it they were for sale....You got them listed at $13000.00.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

More deep thoughts....You do remind me of Stuart Smalley

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You remind me of a car salesman waiting on a blind man laugh

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The quality of the product speaks for itself. You are entitled to your opinion, I have mine. I am proud the be the Teague agent here in the US and feel the work is some of the finest done in the world today.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure the Teague work is high quality....but how good will the glued in paper thin steel barrel lining hold up out side of a fine gun room ?

If the Powells were mine I'd split them up, sell the case and sleeve them both...one already has had it's original barrels replaced. Sleeved or Teague linned neither gun will ever be worth over 5 or 6 grand.

And what sense does Teague lining a non-original barrel make ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Originally Posted By: keith
We've seen examples of barrels with two different serial numbers or two different Damascus patterns that were apparently at one time returned to the maker to have a damaged tube replaced. It seems to me that if it is possible to mate an original tube with a new replacement tube, it would be just as possible to mate two used tubes.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think of this... feasability,

I am faced with a similar problem right now and have spoken with Doug Turnbull and other expert gunsmiths who have all said that they do not have anything capable of producing the kind of heat necessary to seperate the brazed joints of the barrel breechs and lug area and then reassembling them. Kirk Merrington said that he doubts that he can do it but would like me to send him the gun so he can "look it over".

I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere, can do this. Every double gunmaker in this country did it. And the ones that were doing it a hundred years ago certainly weren't using any sophisticated furnaces with inert gas atmospheres.

Still, I am hesitant to fire up a bed of coals in a forge or use a rosebud to get the final heat necessary to un-braze a set. I'm sure a forge fire alone would provide more than enough heat as that was sufficient for welding Damascus. I'm wondering what un-brazing and re-brazing will do to the metallurgy of the barrels. How were they cooled to prevent brittleness? Will this leave them too soft (annealed) and prone to bulging? What, exactly, did they use for the braze joint? What type of flux was used? How about scale formation, both internal and external? Presumably, this was not a problem with new barrels that were struck, finish reamed, and chambered after jointing, but what happened when barrels were sent back to replace one blown or damaged tube?

You would think that everyone who had this knowledge was long dead. But they are still making two barrel guns today. Yet of all the aspects of gunmaking and gunsmithing, the art of sticking two barrels together seems to be the most vague and sketchy at best.

I've been searching for this knowledge for several years, but I am about to move on to something easier like figuring out how the Egyptians built the pyramids.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the sound of it Parker might not have built his barrels to ever be taken apart.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Believe CSM (Ct Shiotgun Manufacturer) in New britian CT has/had some 20 and 16Ga Parker Repro barrels in the white -- poss they can be contacted about fitting a pair to your VH 0 frame 20Ga...

here is the link -- says have bbls at $1,895....

bonasis

Boxlock
Boxlock

Oops... sorry I forgot the link to the CSM Parker replacement bbls:

http://www.csmcspecials.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=ParkerBarrels

bonasis

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.