Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

silver soldered barrels. it's 12ga 28" cyl/mod gun with ca. 1928 wood and action plus Chicopee Falls made replacement barrels numbered to the gun. if the price is right i will bring this charming "chimera" home. can i use light upland steel loads through those tubes w/o causing damage?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those barrels may not be replacements. It seemed to be the policy of Savage that Fox guns returned for repair were often returned with barrels roll-stamped with Savage's Chicopee Falls address and a 2 3/4" chamber stamp. I once owned a 1913 vintage Sterlingworth 12-bore that was sent back to Savage at some point for repair/barrel blue (?); for a long time I too thought Savage had replaced the original barrels, then one day I noticed what appeared to be traces lettering. Close inspection revealed that the words "Sterlingworth Fluid Compressed Steel" had been carded off and over-stamped, but three or four letters of the original stamp still remained. The Savage Arms address had also been roll-stamped on the left barrel, along with the 2 3/4" chamber stamp. This fact actually worked to my favor a bit, as the seller thought the barrels had been replaced and priced the gun accordingly.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I've seen a few of the redone my Chicopee Falls barrels. I think in some case they were indeed replacement barrels. I've also seen where gun's were sent back and the barrels were extended by Savage to 2 3/4" and so marked on the left barrel (rather crudely in some case). Regarding steel, I'm sure purists would shudder, but with that choke constriction and it not being a high grade gun to start with why not. You said light loads after all. PS. Some of the Parker guys have done the same thing with Trojans after all.

foxes rule
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the barrels which were put on the action some 20 years after its been made are marked proof tested 12 gauge savage arms corporation chicopee falls mass usa. the gun is very tight and 1960s vintage pachmayr pad which replaced broken heel plate will come in handy. i'm sure occasional use of upland steel or skeet steel loads will do no harm. i would like to add more notches to stock as it already has two of them. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cringe at using steel shot in anything other than a Remington 870 Express. For the few times that you will actually need non-tox shot why don't you just spring for a couple of boxes of Bismuth or Nice Shot and leave the poor old Fox alone. After all she deserves to be treated like a lady.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This will ad little to the discussion; but in the early 1990's I experimented with steel shot in an early vintage (sn #7511, as I reacall) A Grade Fox extractor gun with less than perfect barrel bores. This gun had a heavy frame; so I lengthened its chambers to 3" and opened the chokes of it's 28" tubes to IC/Lt. Mod. I then proceeded to shoot Winchester 3" steel shot #4 mags thru those tubes; the old Fox handled those steel loads with ease and there was no futher damage of any kind noted to the tubes. Obviously I would not have attempted this experiment with a vintage gun having pristine bores; but the thing I remember most was how light was the recoil from those steel loads relative to 3" lead loads. Who can say what results you may receive from your Fox, but I do know steel load quality has progessed light years since the late 80's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, I also shot much steel in a Sterlingworth with .040 chokes and could detect no damage, interior or exterior. My friend not only shot steel shot in good quantities in his $250 early A, but drilled it out to 3" chambers and shot those shells without damage. Oh, he's still doing it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

steel can come in handy when shooting clays at clubs that require non-tox shot.
loaded in right barrel it would do nicely for closer shots at flying game. there is big difference between >$20 per pack of 10 and <$10 per box of 25. i'm convinced that using fresh right quality load will result in no damage to this gun.
old loads with oxidized pellets flying in clumps would be different matter entirely.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah and I have a lovely gun in right now, a pre-war Merkel O/U with both chokes bulged from steel shot. My recommendation would be no more than .020" of constriction with steel shot.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah and I have a lovely gun in right now, a pre-war Merkel O/U with both chokes bulged from steel shot. My recommendation would be no more than .020" of constriction with steel shot.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.