Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: PA24
pattern the gun at 15 yards while turning it on its side and shooting it as a side by side.........use a high power load and a low power load.....patterning both barrels of course on paper.....

Use the center rib as the sighting plane....a small ball of masking tape can be affixed as a bead if desired.....

Answer your own questions.........

I shot nice gobbler this spring with my SBE 'gangster style' at 35 yards....

I shot a tree trunk trying that same thing last Spring. Sight picture looked good, but turning the sxs over just moved the barrels in closer to the tree...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: vangulil
After some years working on aerospace dynamics analyses and more years as a professor of mechanical engineering teaching dynamics, I can see no way that patterns with the described horizontal spread of 14 inches at 16 yards could be even close to converged at 30 yards.

If, as Greg/gjw posted in the original thread, the left barrel is shooting 6" to the left of the POA and the right barrel is shooitng 6" to the right of POA then the barrels are diverging and the farther out the target the greater the lateral divergence.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
And JOe, I normaly just ignore you but if you fired your SBE 90 degrees out of plane you wouldn't hit crap at 35 yards unless you pointed right and high because guns shoot left and low when fired 'movie' style. I call BS on your turkey.

Do me a favor and just "ignore" me from now on....

Call it what you want....two unknown gobblers came in behind me...one spotted me and started putting and walking off...I started calling hard on a diaphram another bird gobbled right behind the tree...I started calling and slid down the tree when I got the gun around it was at 90 degrees and he was about 35 yards...I was still calling as I looked "over the side of the barrel" and pulled the trigger. There might have been some luck involved but that's how it went down Jones.

No "BS"

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe's storey sounds about right for a turkey hunt to to me. Strange stuff happens when they sneak up on you. All I can tell you is that gangsta style shooting will not curve a shot string around a tree trunk...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pull alot of things off in the turkey woods.

About 5 or 6 of the gobblers I killed this past spring I called up and killed standing up next to a small tree in open hardwoods. I guess he'll call me a liar on that too.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, I e-mailed Grulla abot barrel Regulation. Here is the response I received from them:

Dear Mr Westberg

Replying your email I suppose you have a new model 209H. We have regulated the barrels of all our
shotguns from the last 8 years produced a diatance of 20 yards approx. Because our shooting room
is limited in distance. However according our experience the pattern of the shots are giving us the good
idea that must be shooting to more yards in the same way.

best regards

Jose Luis Usobiaga
Grulla Armas
Eibar - Spain
Tel: +34 943 208

My gun was made in 2004, so it falls after the year they started to regulate bbls.

As I said, it must have ben me!!

Thanks again and all the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg:

Good Job Greg......thanks for posting......."a person who never made a mistake, never did anything".........

Enjoy your new gun.....and years of great shooting....

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put a bore sighter down each barrel and see. A lot of chat no action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not much to do here except chat as Greg is happy with his revised opinion and none of the "train drivers" can shoot it without going over to his house. Just because the breeches are thick and the muzzles thin doesn't mean to me that there's angular convergence in the bores. If the plan view axes of the two bores were actually straight lines tending to convergence at the bitter end, this gun would shoot crosseyed (balance of pattern from right barrel left of POA, pattern from left to right of POA) at any range and so would any other so constructed. Most don't so most must have their bore axes brought into a condition of parallelism by bending prior to shimming, wiring and soldering. The analogy would be rifle barrels (same caliber, load, set up with bore axes parallel and muzzle exits in as close proximity as possible laterally. Yes, there are variables and machining imponderables but you ought to punch two little holes in paper separated by a distance equal to the separation of bore centerlines. Shot from a smoothbore with parallel bores should have the same separation of centers but with spread of pattern creating overlap and producing two practically concentric circles. The devout desire that all else "be equal" (for instance the lateral displacement or "autolead" created by cast) is always disappointed. JL's last post certainly makes the distinction between "where it shoots" and "where we shoot it."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

rabbit for me cast off gets my eye over the centerline of the rib. I need it more on high combed guns than I do the standard the modern American standard of 1-1/2 x 2-1/2. If a gun doesn't have enough cast off I can roll my head to the right so the left eye is higher.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/16/10 05:53 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.