May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (earlyriser, Guy Ave, tut, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 452 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could spend weeks poring through IMFDB.org.

No argument with Open Range, yeah, a Stevens 1878.

There's another Stevens in Unforgiven, though Clint uses the 10 ga WR.

But how about Tombstone: Stevens, Meteor, and Parker doubles. And great dialog, too.

Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

Kate: You don't even know him.

Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll bet none of you know the French movie "Clean Slate" set in West Africa with Philip Noiret as a murderous policeman who offs the husband of his lover with a Darne. Now that's a classy way to straighten someone out.
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well as far as I and the rest of the civilized world is concerned the greatest western and the greatest movie of all time was………"SHANE".

Nothing else comes close!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kind of interesting to learn that only people who agree with treblig1958 are part of the "civilized world". I've seen every Western, of any significance, several times and while Shane had a great fight scene in the store and has been described as the first "adult" western, it would not make it into the top ten in my book. You may have missed the disclaimer in my post that stated these were JMO. However, I can state as absolute fact that I am a member of "the civilized world".
As some other members of the civilized world have commented, Red River, The Searchers, Open Range, Broken Trail, High Noon(I don't think anyone even mentioned High Noon), Lonesome Dove, 3:10 to Yuma(the newer one), and many others were as good as Shane, or better, IMO(that means In My Opinion). I liked Appaloosa but had a very difficult time understanding the dialogue, due to my diminished hearing ability and the way Ed and Viggo spoke their lines. We get so few westerns anymore, at all, that I look forward with excitement to the few we do get. Thank God for Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot and Robert Duvall. Nearly all the older greats are gone. As to Shane, Alan Ladd was a very handsome man with only modest acting ability, much like Clark Gable. The acting in more recent movies is so much better than that in most of the older "classics" it's often hard to compare. Another lesser known favorite of mine is "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. Clint Eastwood never became a "great", IMO.
Best to you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim that’s just plain blasphemy!!!
Degrading Shane to a mere movie!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not say nothing else is close, but Shane is in my any-genre-movie pantheon. Mostly, this is b/c Stevens' directing was superb - way ahead of his time. If you get the DVD watch it with commentary from Steven's son and Moffatt.

But JL's got a point concerning Alan Ladd. He's no Duvall.

Jack Palance, OTOH.........

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Duvall, the best actor in the business,in my opinion."Shane" is one of my favorites because it is one of the first movies I ever saw and Brandon DeWilde looks just like my late son at the same age.

RHD45 #190883 06/01/10 03:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure liked Ben Johnson's work in Shane. "There you go sodbuster. Smell like a man." WHAP!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, You hit the nail right on the head. I hope you know I was just teasing you. I did like Shane, though. You are right about Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott and Robert Duvall. How about, "Quigley down under? Most people don't recognize him, but that was Sam Elliott in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid who got his holster shot off by Robert Redford in the beginning of the movie for accusing the Sundance Kid of cheating at cards. It doesn't look like him, but it is supposed to be. And don't forget those famous words of Rooster Cogburn, "Fill your hands, you son of a b---h!!" smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

One-eyed Jacks is another favorite of mine, as is Will Penny. Charlton Heston has said Will Penny was his favorite, as well.

> Jim Legg <

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.