April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Perry M. Kissam, graybeardtmm3, CJF, 1 invisible), 1,068 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,123
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, I have a nice WP Jones BLE, but for the life of me I can't find any info on the gun. I'd like to find out what grade it is (if any) and when it may have been made. Here are some "stock" photos of it:

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/archivepicture.php?id=12439

The SN is: 16439. The address on the rib is 25 Whittall St. when Jones was at this location from 1891 to 1935.

I know the history of the maker, just not this gun. Doug Tate states that he is unaware of any model designations.

Can any of you shed some light on this gun?

Thanks so much!!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

WP Jones was a successful gunmaker, principally to the Trade, although there are plenty of guns around with his name on them.
I am afraid that the concept of 'Grade' doesn't really work in the UK trade, only the real big manufacturers like Greener really had specific grades of finish or specification.
Your only hope would be to locate a WP Jones catalogue from the appropriate era, I have never seen one but I dare say they exist. That might give you an idea of where your gun lies in their range of the time.
Jones guns are usually of better than average finish for the Birmingham trade and I would place this on in the middle of the range. I restored one some years back which was quite extraordinarily highly finished and I suspect was a publicity piece for touting round the trade.
Here is a link:
http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Jones%20BLE/Jones%20BLE%20Details.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a late [ca.1910-20] Kirkwood sidelock, sold in the U.S. from their Boston shop. Stamped on the gun near the proofs is "W.P.J." I always assumed it was William Palmer Jones making guns for the Kirkwood shop for retailing under their name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, it might be worth looking for that particular gun in a Webley & Scott catalogue. It has that look about it. Lagopus.....

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all and thanks for the info!! I think "Grade" was a poor choice of words. What I ment to say is ranking such as "Best", 2nd Quality, Colonial etc.

I will follow up on some of the suggestons. I appreciate all the help!!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Proof marks may help determine an approx. date of manufacture.
Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Southgate ejectors, I have a William Evans BLE, how can I tell if it has Southgate ejectors? I thought these were found only on SLE guns. Whatever I have works well. Including the single trigger, Wm Evans Patent
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, here's the Southgate style ejector, characterized by the spring that powers it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I have a William Evans BLE, how can I tell if it has Southgate ejectors? I thought these were found only on SLE guns.

Mike,
Southgate ejectors can be found on any shotgun from the modest to the superb.
It is dangerous to generalise on anything in English guns but as a rule of thumb:
Southgate ejectors pivot on a pin that runs through the forend iron knuckle (Spanish ones use a pivot further forward). On an Evans this is often indicated by 2 tiny slotted pin heads on each side of the forend knuckle which cover the end of the hole in which the pivot slides. On other guns you may just see the plain heads of the pivot pin.
The most common alternative ejector system is the Deeley box which is pinned to the underside of the forend iron a little further forward. You will usually see the plain end of the securing pin about 2 - 2 1/2" back from the knuckle and the ejector kickers will be about 1" from the knuckle.
English Southgate ejector kickers will be more like 1/2" from the knuckle.
There are a few other systems like the Ross, Perkes, Holland et al which confuse the issue a little but 9 times out of 10 you will be looking at a Deeley or a Southgate.
On a point of interest, even though the 'over centre' ejector system is commonly called a 'Southgate', Thomas Southgate was only one of several gunmakers who patented the mechanism and not the first either! The original idea is usually credited to Thomas Perkes in his patent of 1874, 15 years before Southgate patented his!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, what is the forend iron knuckle ? Is it the part that shows when the wood is in place ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.