April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, AGS, bushveld, 3 invisible), 568 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,079
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#190638 05/30/10 12:00 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This might be an off question for this forum, but I just finished watching Man On Fire with Densel Washington.
Try as I may, I just could not make out what SXS he used in the movie. Also, what other double guns have been used in recent movies say from the 80s up?, Like Val Kilmers " street howitzer" in tombstone and the SXS from the Godfather movie while Michael was hiding in Italy?
Think of this subject as a Brain teaser if you like,
Roland

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, in the 'Streets of Laredo' the last in the four 'Lonesome Dove' series of films. Capt. Woodrow F. Call (James Garner)is accompanied by a 'Railroad Accountant' who was sold what looks like a Four Bore Double Rifle, allegedly for protection. The ammo belt that came with it has lead bullets in all the cartridge cases, yet in the film it is refered to as a shotgun.

A nice looking English hammer double, whatever make it was.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 05/30/10 04:01 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to imfdb.org. There aer most guns used in mot movies on this site. It can pull you in though and you can spend hours there.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

should have checked my spelling

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordon, we knew it was your fingers, not your head! Regards, King

Sidelock
Sidelock

i like the double stuff they used in white hunter black heart and the ghost and the darkness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The movie 'Open Range' Robert Duvall uses his Parker to blow that one unlucky fellow across the alley way. What a great shot. Everytime we watch it my friends and I still let out a big "OHHHH, MAN" when he goes flying across the alley!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
The movie 'Open Range' Robert Duvall uses his Parker to blow that one unlucky fellow across the alley way. What a great shot. Everytime we watch it my friends and I still let out a big "OHHHH, MAN" when he goes flying across the alley!!!

Open Range is probably my favorite western movie of all time. However, blowing the guy across the alley gets a definite minus, in realism. Typical Hollywood nonsense. As silly as waiting all day for an expected gunfight and then jacking the lever, racking the slide or checking the sixteen shooter for being loaded, at the very last second before the shooting starts. You, of course, can not blow a man across the alley, or off a horse, unless the man on the other end of the gun gets blown backwards the same amount. In spite of that, Open Range is, IMO, overall the best western ever made. Robert Duvall is also the best western actor, of all time. Also, JMO.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 05/30/10 04:56 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"However, blowing the guy across the alley gets a definite minus, in realism. Typical Hollywood nonsense. As silly as waiting all day for an expected gunfight and then jacking the lever, racking the slide"

Just saw the same scenario in a Clint Eastwood movie called Unforgiven the other night. I guess they use this blown away with a shotgun because it looks so dramatic even though it's not realistic. It guess it's better than showing the damage a shotgun will really inflict at close range even when loaded with birdshot. Now that would be an ugly sight.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also liked Burt Lancaster in "Valdez is Coming", and Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen in "Appaloosa", where Mortensen (Everett Hitch) carries what is supposed to be an 8 gauge double. You can read up on the gun and learn how the set armorer/gunsmith took a 12 gauge and sleeved the barrels (on the outside) to give them the appearance of an 8 gauge. Obviously a big gun in his hands, it also said that in the original script there was only supposed to be a few shots of him carrying it, but as the filming progressed he took a liking to the big double and carried it in most every scene.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anthony Hopkins seems to have a nice Hammer Gun in that new WolfMan (?) movie,though I've only seen the ad's & its a split second view
franc

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 8 bore double rifles used in the opening scenes in the 1950 version of King Solomons Mines with Stewart Granger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Road Warrior with Mel Gibson, that auto & burglar double he carried played a major role throughout the entire movie!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Oh Jim!! For goodness sakes!! Open Range your favorite western movie? You must have forgotten about, "The Big Country". Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Jean Simmons, Carol Baker, Chuck Conners, Charles Bickford. You forgot about that one didn't you? (Just teasing) wink But, that one is not only my favorite western, it is my favorite movie of all time. I always was a Gregory Peck fan. Open Range was a great movie. Annette Benning made that movie for me. She is one of my favorites. But the one bad thing about that movie is when Kevin Costner fans his six shooter about ten times. When I saw that I thought, "Oh Kevin! Details, dude!" And Jim, what about "GIANT"? Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean, Chilly Wills and a very young Dennis Hopper? Hmmmm?? Did you forget that one, too? Oh well, I guess all you guys can tell what an old fart I am. Best wishes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think Jim forgot anything ... Open Range is my favorite also.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Open Range is a great western in my book also.
The one movie I forgot to add to my list, was
The Ghost and The Darkness with Michael Douglas, Val Kilmer.
In my youth I spent some time at the Field Museum in Chicago,and saw the Lions that were depicted in this epic movie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In no particular order.

Joel McCrea, Randolph Scott in 'Ride the High Country'

Jimmy Stewart, 'Naked Spur', Chuck Heston in 'Will Penny', Gary Cooper, 'High Noon', John Wayne, 'Red River', Gregory Peck, 'Yellow Sky' & 'Bravados', Stewart, 'Far Country' & 'Man from Laramie'

Walter Brennan & Cooper, 'The Westerners', Eastwood, 'Unforgiven', Burt Lancaster, 'Valdez is Coming', ...... 'Dances with Wolves', 'Open Range', 'Big Country', 'Appaloosa'.

"The Oxbow Incident".

Last edited by Birdog; 05/31/10 03:08 PM.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Shooting Party"Set in an English Country house in 1913 centres on the house party/shooting etiquette promoted by King Edward VII.Here we see James Mason,John Gielgud @ Edward Fox , as members of the privileged elite, engaged in driven shooting and the sometimes adulterous,after shooting party events. We see James Mason shooting driven pheasants using a pair of, Thumb hole, Purdey, Hammer guns.Unfortunately some of the other paricipants in the shooting seqences used guns from a later period. The scenes showing driven shooting illustrates the competive spirit that,in this era, existed between participants[ie;to kill the most birds!].A movie well worth watching.V.H.S. Copies were issued under licence by JEF Films International, S.A. in 1997.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Rio Bravo". Duke has a Colt hammergun. Bartender also has one. Walter Brennan has a sawed-off upon which he is in the process of performing a "buttectomy". I hadn't thought about "Ride the High Country in a long time. Don't recall doublegun; doublecross maybe. Best Western: "Ballad of Cable Hogue". Stella Stevens! Who needs guns?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just watched a classic 40's WWII movie where the main character was blinded at Guadalcanal, and upon returning home, he was given a new shotgun as a Christmas gift. It looked to be a beautiful shiny new Lefever nitro with great case colors. Not a fancy gun by any means, but it was spiffy. I told my wife, "ooh look, a nice Lefever nitro!" and she said "you know that?"

You know you're getting to be a gun nerd when you're more excited about a gun than you are about the movie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could spend weeks poring through IMFDB.org.

No argument with Open Range, yeah, a Stevens 1878.

There's another Stevens in Unforgiven, though Clint uses the 10 ga WR.

But how about Tombstone: Stevens, Meteor, and Parker doubles. And great dialog, too.

Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

Kate: You don't even know him.

Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll bet none of you know the French movie "Clean Slate" set in West Africa with Philip Noiret as a murderous policeman who offs the husband of his lover with a Darne. Now that's a classy way to straighten someone out.
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well as far as I and the rest of the civilized world is concerned the greatest western and the greatest movie of all time was………"SHANE".

Nothing else comes close!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kind of interesting to learn that only people who agree with treblig1958 are part of the "civilized world". I've seen every Western, of any significance, several times and while Shane had a great fight scene in the store and has been described as the first "adult" western, it would not make it into the top ten in my book. You may have missed the disclaimer in my post that stated these were JMO. However, I can state as absolute fact that I am a member of "the civilized world".
As some other members of the civilized world have commented, Red River, The Searchers, Open Range, Broken Trail, High Noon(I don't think anyone even mentioned High Noon), Lonesome Dove, 3:10 to Yuma(the newer one), and many others were as good as Shane, or better, IMO(that means In My Opinion). I liked Appaloosa but had a very difficult time understanding the dialogue, due to my diminished hearing ability and the way Ed and Viggo spoke their lines. We get so few westerns anymore, at all, that I look forward with excitement to the few we do get. Thank God for Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot and Robert Duvall. Nearly all the older greats are gone. As to Shane, Alan Ladd was a very handsome man with only modest acting ability, much like Clark Gable. The acting in more recent movies is so much better than that in most of the older "classics" it's often hard to compare. Another lesser known favorite of mine is "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. Clint Eastwood never became a "great", IMO.
Best to you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim that’s just plain blasphemy!!!
Degrading Shane to a mere movie!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would not say nothing else is close, but Shane is in my any-genre-movie pantheon. Mostly, this is b/c Stevens' directing was superb - way ahead of his time. If you get the DVD watch it with commentary from Steven's son and Moffatt.

But JL's got a point concerning Alan Ladd. He's no Duvall.

Jack Palance, OTOH.........

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Duvall, the best actor in the business,in my opinion."Shane" is one of my favorites because it is one of the first movies I ever saw and Brandon DeWilde looks just like my late son at the same age.

RHD45 #190883 06/01/10 03:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure liked Ben Johnson's work in Shane. "There you go sodbuster. Smell like a man." WHAP!!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Jim, You hit the nail right on the head. I hope you know I was just teasing you. I did like Shane, though. You are right about Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott and Robert Duvall. How about, "Quigley down under? Most people don't recognize him, but that was Sam Elliott in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid who got his holster shot off by Robert Redford in the beginning of the movie for accusing the Sundance Kid of cheating at cards. It doesn't look like him, but it is supposed to be. And don't forget those famous words of Rooster Cogburn, "Fill your hands, you son of a b---h!!" smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

One-eyed Jacks is another favorite of mine, as is Will Penny. Charlton Heston has said Will Penny was his favorite, as well.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday......"I'm yore huckleberry".....although Outlaw Josie Wales was pretty good as well....

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Movie Utu has a wicked good double double. deals with the Mori down in NZ

So did John wayne with his Greeners in the movie where he is out hunting and trouble is a comin. the name escapes me.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Brian #191072 06/02/10 10:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
So did John wayne with his Greeners in the movie where he is out hunting and trouble is a comin. the name escapes me.

Brian, I think that was "Big Jake"... "Martha, did you remember to bring my Greeners?"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

And what about Mr Quartermane in League of Extraordinary gentlemen. "Bring me Matilda". Great rifle.
Shepard

Indecision may or maynot be my problem. Jimmy Buffet
shep #191126 06/03/10 11:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As George wrote Big Jake, it had a few Greeners /(Crescents) laugh for sure Brian.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/6/67/Bj24.jpg

Double Barrel "Coach" Shotgun

"In Big Jake various short double barreled shotguns are almost the co-stars. Multiple characters use them. Jake MCCandles (John Wayne) uses 2 twin double-barrel shotguns in the movie. He refers to them as "my Greeners". Greener was and still is a British maker of fine shotguns. He gives one to Sam (Bruce Cabot), who, along with his knife, uses it as his main weapon. A double barreled shotgun us used by the kidnappers as well. Most notably by John Fain (Richard Boone) during the climactic gunfight between him and Jake McCandles who is using one of his Greener shotguns. According to Hollywood Guns and Props. Stembridge Gun Rental invoices to Batjac Productions for Big Jake indicates the rental of 5 American Gun Company (Crescent F.A.) short barrel shotguns to the production, not actually "Greeners." http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Big_Jake

Hombre & Tom Horn sported double barrels also.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to disagree about Open Range. I find Kevin Costner very hard to believe as a tough guy when you have Robert Duvall in the cast.Robert Duvall will always be Gus to me, and Gus will always rule the roost!

As for the shotgun...if it will knock a man across an alley, it would also knock the shooter backward just as far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.