May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (R Reynolds, Karl Graebner, Mike Harrell, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,502
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19051 01/08/07 11:14 AM
JayCee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have experience reloading this type of bullets?
As 16ga slugs are not locally available I am having these sent
from Europe. They weigh 27grams (0.95oz)
Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
JayCee #19072 01/08/07 12:18 PM

They look like some slugs from Latvia, I don't remeber the brand. They could also be a version Of the French Balle Blondeau. The French slug is supposed to be Steel, with lead alloy driving bands.

I have not loaded any 16 gauge slugs yet, but have loaded thousands of 12 gauge. What kind of velocities, and pressures are you looking for? What brands of powders do you have available? In the 15 gauge you will need to use slow powders to achieve velocities over 1300-1350FPS with that weight. In a modern gun, you could use IMR 4756, IMR 4759, Alliant Blue Dot, and Steel. Perhaps Hodgon;'s longshot would also work.

I would start with a plastic case, unless brass is available, then add the powder charge. Top it with a platic gas seal, and a hard filler wad, then a cork wad, and another hard filler under the slug.
Greg

JayCee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greg, thank you for your info. They are actually Blondeau and are being sent from France.

Knowing the name I did some searching and found that there is a newer version with a plastic sabot that can be shot even through full choke barrels. It should be safer.

As to locally available powders, I have to gather more information. All I have for now is what is in a catalogue of the local Fiocchi agents that have only one type (described as being of the "simple base" type) and say that a charge between 1,5g and 1,6g should be used in a 12ga. shotshell with 32g of shot.

You will gather that I am totally new to the reloading science and also very aware that a lot of care should be excercised (I have no redundant body parts).

Do you think one could replace the shot charge of a factory loaded shell with this type of slug? If so, how would one go about it?

Thanks in advance.

JC(AL)

JayCee #19159 01/08/07 09:06 PM

I would not replace the shot with a slug. The wad columns are different for pressure, and accuracy problems. What kind of gun is this going to be shot in? Is the bore rifled, or smooth, is there any choke. If the gun is rifled, You can get a mold, and cast your own. That might be easiest, as some sort of lead alloy should be available as scrap. If you give us a better idea on powders I thinke we can help.
G

JayCee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They are going to be shot out of smooth bore doubles with chokes.

We may get, as an alternative, the Gualandi Borra Proiettile:
http://www.gualandi.it/index2.htm

I am sure they are more suited to our meager reloading means.

Thank you for your help. Will get back as soon as I have more info on available powders.

JC(AL)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.