May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Sarg, 1 invisible), 714 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#189861 05/23/10 12:22 PM
ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

All elements kept equal but chamber length, is there any reason a shotgun would have more recoil when firing a 2 &3/4" shell in a shorter chamber? Thanks for the replies!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ben, I don't know the scientific answer but can tell you after shooting tens of thousands 2 3/4" shells in both 2 1/2" and 2 5/8" chambers I can't tell any difference in recoil.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard anecdotal reports of increased recoil, even with British shells especially designed for guns with 2 1/2" chambers (but in slightly longer cases), on a few very old guns with short and sharply-angled forcing cones. Seems to be more a function of the cone than it does chamber length. Like Joe, I've shot a lot of 2 3/4" shells, reloaded to appropriately low pressures, in guns with short chambers, without any significant increase in recoil. Sherman Bell, in his "Finding Out for Myself" series in DGJ, did report a slight increase in pressure with some 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2" chambers. But a pressure increase does not necessarily equate to a recoil increase.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dad's Fox AE 20 2.5 chamber shot many cases of 2.75 shells and is still sound but it did go through 3 stocks. In my experience it a stock splitter.
bill

ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Thanks to all for your replies. You confirm my thinking that the situation would not effect recoil. Thanks again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actual recoil is only a function of gun weight, weight of shot and velocity of that shot.
Felt recoil is a subjective quantity and you find 'theories' and I use the term 'theory' loosely, all over the place but mostly concerns what is technically called 'impulse' or how the force applied acts over time. Shooting a 2&3/4" shell in a 2&1/2" chamber may cause other problems but not recoil related.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 05/24/10 10:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the shooter is sensing buttstock acceleration as felt recoil, as opposed to total recoil, then there could be the following issue. The payload is constant in weight, so the rearward acceleration of the gun will be basically (neglecting the powder gas portion of the acceleration) proportional to the forward acceleration of the payload. Acceleration will be basically proportional to pressure except that there may be a slight additional acceleration in the forcing cone if it is sized and shaped such as to have some venturi effect on the shot charge. Also, per Bell, there might be enough pressure rise to increas acceleration enough for a shooter very sensitive to acceleration to sense it as increased recoil.

I would not totally discount the possibility, but would add that my experience, which seems to match general experience, is that it is not a factor for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of these years at a large event perhaps a blind firing test of felt recoil could be set up and put an end to the endless discussions of felt recoil, perceived recoil and actual recoil as relates to velocity, short chambers, short and long forcing cones pressures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Dad's Fox AE 20 2.5 chamber shot many cases of 2.75 shells and is still sound but it did go through 3 stocks. In my experience it a stock splitter.
bill

Bill, I'd be more inclined to blame it on the game loads you were probably shooting than them being 2-3/4". The same thing would happen with 2-1/2" high velocity, high pressure loads.
Now a Parker would handle it a little better. "wink"

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 3" chamber Uggy is a kicker. Someone in the past saw to a recoil pad (no wonder about why, at least) and a tiny crack is developing up next to the tang.
All I've ever fired are 2 3/4 1 1/8th oz trap loads, it still bites me.
A few others have reported the Uggies hit them hard. Mine has tight bores and chokes, maybe forcing cones as well. I'll have some sense put into it via Mike Orlan when I have some spare coin, hope it helps.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.