May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, Jeremy Pearce, Jimmy W, canvasback), 847 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,532
Posts545,949
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187856 05/05/10 09:04 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello All...I'm looking to purchase a Perazzi for sporting clays and came along this MX8. The buttstock looks very strange to me. It almost look as if the pistol grip was never finished...or something! Am I seeing things or is this a standard configuration? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to the picture:

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv178/Gun_Hawk/Perazzi.jpg

TIA

JJ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to see anything special in the dark image on my laptop but Doesn’t look too odd to me for the not-so-unusual fat full-grip style Perazzi stocks out there. Remember that while there are dozens of somewhat standard styles of stocks for these guns they can and are custom built and easily swapped between guns.
Same thing with barrel/rib profiles and weights. Then they can get customized on top of that.

That is one of the mixed blessings of those guns. lots of choices which can drive you crazy and either give you a "pig on a shovel" or something that feels like a Ferrari between your hands.

The big/thick grip, like that one is more for the gun-up style of shooting similar to American Trap/etc. many of the Euro/UK sporters were ordered with lighter weight barrels (or similar weight longer ones) and slimmer profile stocks/fore-ends with more open grips better suited to a gun-down dynamic mount approach. Some (like mine which happens to be for sale) had slim open round knob semi-pistol grip. I would give you a link to my gun but it seems to have aged off since the BBS upgrade.

Last edited by LeeS; 05/05/10 10:42 PM.

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is about as everyday a Perazzi stock as you will find shape wise. Right off the shelf as it were. The wood is actually somewhat better quality than one would expect to find on a standard Perazzi, i.e. orange crate wood.

Perazzis are primarily sold as competition guns - with an origin in flyer shooting. Pussy field shaped stocks are not a common request for a shooter interested in performance and evolution continues. This is what seems to be the current high point and is in use in several forms by a number of first line international shooters. Obviously the current trend in way high rib guns is a heavy factor in this. tho it is comforting to see the large number of top international shooters still with flat ribs since I do so not want to be out of style.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=167810794

the slide show here shows the funny stock in use too

http://www.perazzi.com/Pages/en_perazzi_home_page_inglese.aspx

Pretty zoot IMO, but my funding is limited so I guess I'll have to do without.

WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 05/06/10 01:24 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recently saw a similar stock being used by one of Britain's women's team. It was pictured in the "Shooting Gazette", I believe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pratzees ARE competition guns and very well made. Their stocks reflect current competition styles. They are poor upland game guns as they are heavy (to reduce felt recoil in long strings of shots) and are not really meant to be raised to the shoulder to be fired (premounted). Now I have seen some that were supposed to be game guns, but the design and weight clearly said otherwise. They remind me of the 21 in handling characteristics, namely like a sow Superglued to a snow shovel. I don't know if their design would allow them to make a true upland game gun which would be unfortunate since they are high quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Pete
Pratzees ARE competition guns and very well made. Their stocks reflect current competition styles. They are poor upland game guns as they are heavy (to reduce felt recoil in long strings of shots) and are not really meant to be raised to the shoulder to be fired (premounted). Now I have seen some that were supposed to be game guns, but the design and weight clearly said otherwise. They remind me of the 21 in handling characteristics, namely like a sow Superglued to a snow shovel. I don't know if their design would allow them to make a true upland game gun which would be unfortunate since they are high quality.

I do not want to walk far with my 8 1/4lb MX12, but for high volume shooting where you are limited to a break open gun it is hard to beat. Ran 3 flats of shells through mine before lunch pass shooting doves/pigeons on a recent hunt. Any lighter and I would have been bleeding through my shirt.

Last edited by ken/kebco; 05/08/10 10:00 AM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well, I bought the one pictured. I pick it up Friday and will report back if anyone cares. I paid less than I expected for an MX8 so have some left over cash in the event I need any stock work.

Thanks for all of the replies smile

Joe

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.