May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (JohnfromUK), 164 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,993
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cut your FEDERAL PLASTIC HULL down to 2 and 7/8 of an inch overall length. RESIZE and REPRIME with a Federal 209A primer. Use 18.0 grains of Hodgdon's CLAYS. Use the Remington 10 gauge wad known as SP-10 with old 16 gauge card wads inside the shotcup to take up the unused space. Use 1 and 1/4 ounce of number 8 or number 7 and 1/2 LEAD SHOT. I like to put two thin 16 gauge card wads in the bottom of the shotcup and one thin 16 gauge card wad on top of the lead shot and then STAR CRIMP the hull. The card on top of the shot keeps any of the shot from leaking out. I use a highly modified PW Mag-No-Matic reloading tool to do all of this. A final TAPER CRIMP DIE is available from PW to make this reload really look good. The TAPER CRIMP DIE is the same die for 12 gauge and 10 gauge if I remember correctly. The old ALCAN primer works even better that the Fed 209A primer. NO other 209 primer will work, they just do not fit the Federal brown plastic hull. Good Shooting To You, Jent....jentpmitchell@msn.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

A PDF copy of the Sherman Bell 2 7/8" loads is located here:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1092

Sidelock
Sidelock

nhcrowshooter. The files listed on parkerguns was compiled by me. Whoever posted the files didn't post the notes on the hulls to go with it so those receipes are incomplete and could possibly get someone in trouble. I will send Mike a new copy from my files.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Could you send me a copy of your new files also. I printed a copy of the Parker posting and thought there was something amiss.

Thanks,

Jack K

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

TwiceBarrel,

Both your emails came through at the same time. Hotmail isn't always the best but I've had the addy for a long time.

Thanks!

Jerry, I got your email also! Thanks!

Now I need to put together the tool to shorten the hulls.

Best regards all,

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

The cutting tool I use costs about 50 cents. Take a piece of dowel about 3 inches longer than the shell. Choose a dowel close to the interior diameter of the hull. Drill a 1/4" hole at 90 degrees to the long axcess of the dowel. Drill it so it is a little above where the finished length of the hull will be. Insert an exacto blade through the hole horizontally. You want the blade's cutting edge tilted downward toward the hull. This tilt is about 15-20 degrees. Insert the dowel in the hull and turn it as you press into the hull. If the dowel stops the cut before you get the correct shell length, rasp off the lower end of the dowel until you get the length required. I can cut about 100 hulls to length in about 10 minutes this way. Takes about as long to describe the tool as to make it.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 04/28/10 02:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use about the same system that Jerry described but instead of drilling a hole into the dowel I make a saw cut with a very fine blade about half way through the dowel and insert a safety (single edge) razor blade into the cut. I found that the razor blade makes a much cleaner cut especially if you use it on paper as well as plastic hulls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my Lefever "E" 10 as my go to Pheasant gun, when the weather is nice and they are jumping waaay out there. Mr Joe Wood left me a bunch of his loads which are very effective. If he is around, maybe he would share that recipe...They work!

Sidelock
Sidelock

O.K., all you lovers of the old 10 bores. Here's my world famous all purpose load that Last Dollar keeps raving about. Y'all gotta promise not to let this secret recipe become public though. This is one whomper/stomper load fer big feathered creatures! wink

1 1/4 oz lead
Federal plastic hull cut to 2 7/8"
Winchester 209 primer
35 grains IMR 4756
Remington SP 10 plastic wad (1 16 ga .125 wad inside shot cup)
Six fold crimp

Reported as 5,800 psi and 1194 fps.

Note: 1 1/4 oz bismuth fills SP10 nicely without the wad filler.
Hulls and wads from Ballistic Products

If that ain't enough firepower fer you then stuff this down the bore:

1 1/2 oz shot
Federal plastic hull
Winchester 209 primer
34 grains IMR 4756
Ballistic Product X10X plastic over powder wad and 3/8" fiber filler wad
Mylar shot collar
6 point crimp*

Reported to be 7,000 psi and 1,167 fps.

*Note: An overshot card made a prettier crimp. If using bismuth I just use the same volume shot as with lead. It will weigh less but has the same number of shot. The duck won't know the difference. I quit using buffer in the bismuth cause it's too much trouble--to heck with it.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the pressures and velocities listed for either of these loads are correct. They're what I've read somewhere and personally use. I have shot a lot of both and my damascus barreled guns haven't blown up (yet). smile

Here's some birdies that took the 1 1/4 oz of Bismuth. Gun is a Parker DH #3 frame 10 bore

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry,

Your tool is what I had in mind. A stop a Lowes today for a piece of dowel.

Thanks all!

Mike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.