April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (graybeardtmm3, Argo44, azgreg, LGF), 141 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,758
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
gjw #186738 04/23/10 09:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only afford to buy cheap well used guns. Modifying them can only help their value

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in the same camp with Greg and Jeff. I've never owned an old gun in high, collector condition. I buy them in usable condition and use them. I'm not a museum curator for some unknown collector, down life's road.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

We want all pristine, virgin guns. WE want to be the ONES to modify them, not anybody else.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

This is an issue that gets to me. I admit I would like to open the choke on my H grade Lever 16, certainly not a high grade gun,and with pitted side plates, but in more or less original condition, and with some collector value considering its rarity. I haven't done it though, simply because of that. I use the gun a lot, but since it is choked m/xf, the xf barrel is not of much use to me in the uplands (or the skeet range), even with spreaders. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, as I can see both sides of the argument. I bought another open choked gun, but that doesn't help me when I'm using the Lefever.

Last edited by Mark Larson; 04/23/10 09:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I have I use, some not very much as have more than enough to shoot. Some I have (rifles) have historical value, but I still shoot them and leave them as I got them. Do have some older hardware store SxSs that I shoot, but no modifications so far, oops did open chokes on one. And please don't do anything to a 32 Model B Ford 3 window coupe. It should have a V8 60 hp flathead, neat auto.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always been of the opinion that "Bubba" didn't post on this forum. Perhaps I've been wrong!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once dated a girl who was almost a virgin.....

If any of you boys are into old cars, then you should understand ALL Parkers or Foxes etc. are collectible. The reason is they don't make them anymore.

If you don't believe me, pick up an old car magazine and you'll big dollars being paid for cars that are heavily rusted, smashed etc. Cars that 30 years ago would have been crushed without a second thought.

Anyone who considers the average $2000 Parker VH 'not collectible' doesn't understand collecting....or even worse doesn't understand that even if a gun is not collectible it doesn't mean it's OK to chop it up. The gun is far more important than it's owner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the answer to the question is fairly obvious--altering a collectible gun ruins its collectibility, and it really is a lost piece of history at that point.

However, what I think would be a more valuable question to ask is why people get jumped on when they propose making changes to a gun that has ALREADY been altered?? It's no longer original, so nothing is lost--what's the big deal with making whatever alterations will give the user pleasure at that point?

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all and thanks. I should have stated in my original post that I'm not talking about "High" grade collectable guns or those of historical interest (the Czars Parker for example).

I agree that some guns should remain untouched for one reason or another.

As I've stated, I'm a user of fine guns, not a collector. I also stand by what I said, if I can't use it, then why have it.

My guns will be passed down to my sons, who have already grown to appreciate the quality and workmanship of generations past. I also think that these same craftsman who made these guns would want them to be used Abuse in one thing, but use is another.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear from the start.

I really do enjoy this forum and the majority of people on it. I've learned a lot and will continue to. There is a lot of great knowledge out there that is shared and passed on. That's the reason why we have this forum.

What I don't like are the few, who have to give a smart aleck or disparaging remark whenever someone posts a sincere question or comment. If you have nothing good or constructive to say, then don't!

A good debate is great, if the arguments are founded and thought out, even personal opinions are fine, but let the other fellow have his say with the same respect you'd want even of you don't agree.

Enough said. Again, sorry for any misunderstanding when I first posted this thread.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #186773 04/23/10 04:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "problem" of trusteeship is who qualifies as a knowledgable trustee. Years ago, The Early American Industries Association had what I considered a very balanced view of our artifactual inheritance. Most contributing members wanted objects preserved, catalogued, and numbered. They also were interested in process and wanted them in use and understood in the context of use--the "living history" concept. Men make mistakes and experience (recognizing a mistake when you make it again) eventually teaches the distinction between bjects that probably should be locked away and those that can be used, learnt on, and just possibly used up (A chisel kept sharp never gets longer!). Men who have in common the need to plant a foot in the past shouldn't be arguing about this. Well maybe the CAS barrel bobbers go a bit far, but they are still part of a small and select fraternity of enthusiasts. Way to many sinners with pockets full of stones.

jack

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.