May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sandlapper, battle, MattH, Der Ami, azgreg), 742 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,595
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Stan summed it up succinctly.

"inner circle of a nationally known collectors group . Guy spent almost an hour going over the gun. ....... This was a graded gun, small bore, very nice condition."
One would hope for a semblance of ethics from such a group.
Not so much from the low end of the dealer class. There are many ethical dealers in my experience.

I do not believe a transaction was completed, the lady took her gun and went home. Good for her.

"Good thing she did know her guns. Like she said, "I may be blond, but not that blond"!!!"

As others have stated do your due diligence before the fact and you will not be caught with your pants down.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Birdog #186384 04/19/10 04:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I completely understood Brian's post. I would have loved to seen the look on the "buyer's" face when he thought Christmas had come early and then the lady pulled the rug out from under him. laugh

Last edited by ohiosam; 04/19/10 04:40 PM.
ohiosam #186388 04/19/10 05:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a gut feeling she's paraded that 28 Parker through this site before. I think she gets a kick out of guys trying to scam it from her.
I've seen her throw the bait on a couple shotgun sites.
Women are so rare in this avocation, it can't be a coincidence.

If that 28 was a Zara Spook, she'd be walkin' the dog!

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a wake of broken men in her dating life as well. I used to think she was a man that was just trolling to embarass the pompous. Now I think she's real, and has a bitter streak.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If she had NOT done her homework why would she have given him a price in the "teen" thousands? I think she pretty well knew what it might bring, and left behind her a disappointed unethical buyer. Good for her.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I have a gut feeling she's paraded that 28 Parker through this site before. I think she gets a kick out of guys trying to scam it from her.
I've seen her throw the bait on a couple shotgun sites.
Women are so rare in this avocation, it can't be a coincidence.
Wouldn't surprise me if there was a wake of broken men in her dating life as well. I used to think she was a man that was just trolling to embarass the pompous. Now I think she's real, and has a bitter streak.

I'm quite sure you're talking about two different women and circumstances. The person I know is a lady, acts accordingly, and doesn't attend gun shows.

Interesting to me how bold many people become when hiding behind "handles", and spouting off about things they know nothing of.

That's all I have to say about that!

Last edited by Fred Lowe; 04/19/10 05:59 PM. Reason: keeping my response civil
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taking a check at a gun show? Not me. Show me the Benjamins

tudurgs #186427 04/19/10 10:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred-You can be as mad as you like about whatever slight you must be feeling.
The fact is carrying a collectible anything around the pool the sharks live in is a form of fishing. Some people don't like being played, and a great many women despise men that seek to play them. Doesn't even have to be in the realm of collectibles.
But the story, as always relayed by another, is typical of the story that shows up on these gun sites every year or 18mos. "I have this thing left to me by... Deceased husband, Grandparent, old aunt, whatever, that just happens to be a verrry desireable something-or-other.
People trip over themselves to acquire it at the lowest possible cost as quickly as possible. Always sub-rosa. A regular frothing of the internet.
The pattern, and story line always looks like bait to me. Why here? Why not at the corner gun shop your deceased spent all the money at? Why not at his gun club? 3 hours of internet searching and account set up to ask what this thing-a-ma-bob is worth? It's putting the bait where the fish are.
It reads like any contemporary legend. The grain of truth. The cautionary tale. The rarity or uniqueness, the third party telling (FOAF), etc.
I have always figured (for several reasons) that it was always one of the lads trying to see how deep he could set the hook, and how high he could get people to jump.
This story has evolved to the innocent female victim (via third party telling) being nose to nose with the sharks.
I'm a firm believer in if it's too good to be true, it is.

To summarize, I believe playing people for fun is bad. Scheming to buy guns far below market value from the uninformed is worse.

Out there doing it best I can.
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Never said she accepted it.
DAM16SXS; Not hearsay if I heard it from the actual person involved.

Not a widow. she has owned the gun and hunted it for more than 30 years. she isnt a wall flower.
she knew market vaklue. she had it priced at the higher end of its value prepared for some dickering. But not getting D*cked.

she told him in no uncerttain terms what he could do with the check.
Okay, without divulging the actual gun, I will use a Fox (not the actual gun) to illustrate for all you guys who didnt get it the first time:

woman at a table, set up, displaying an A.H. Fox 20 Ga DE. a person at the AHFCA table approaches her and asks her how much, she replies 19. He asks to see the gun. she shows him and he pours over it for a while, 30-45 minutes. makes a few calls. asks her her if she will take 18. she says yes. He writes a check for 1800 dollars. she tells him no way.

he ( based on his knowledge and his mannerisms as a serious collector, etc. knew damn well that the gun was worth 18 thousand, not 1800.
She knew what her gun was worth. she wasnt a tyro.

Last edited by Brian; 04/19/10 10:38 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Brian #186433 04/19/10 11:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm certainly not coming to anyone's defense and I don't think I know who the check writer was but I sure would like to hear his rendition of the story (every story has two sides).

I think any seller at a gunshow or gunshop who does not attach price tags to his/her wares is guilty of fishing for suckers and deserves a shark every once-in-a-while. JMHO

DAM16SXS #186437 04/19/10 11:34 PM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

was not a parker 28.
Like I said, I heard her side. But I have dealt with her before. Not trolling.
About the check. well, i get that all the time at shows. Mnay "customers' come up and want to buy a gun but have no money???!!! how many of you go to a show lookign to buy and dont bring funds??

Bottom line on this is that she had a fair price, he figured he had a bimbo with her dead hubbys gun and knew nothing about it.
She didnt get taken.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.