March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anton Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently picked up a nice boxlock by H. Trulock Harriss of 4 Pickering Place, St. James's Street, London SW. While I enjoy the gun I know nothing about the maker. Does anyone have any info regarding this gentleman, such as in which years he practiced his trade or where he came from? Any info at all would be helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Anton

Last edited by Anton; 04/04/10 04:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All I have on him is Henry Trulock Harriss, 22 Bury Street, St. James, London 1909 to 1911. He was at 4, Pickering Place, St. James Street, from 1912 to 1916 trading as H. Trulock Harriss Ltd. reverting to just H. Trulock Harriss at the same address from 1917 to 1918. Depending on the title on the rib that should date your gun very closely. Lagopus.....

Anton Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lagopus, thank you very much. The inscription on the rib lacks the "Ltd.", so 1917 - 1918 it is.

I am unsure whether this man was a maker or simply a broker / retailer (I suspect the latter). The gun came in its original case with label. The label mentions private shooting grounds "for fitting, instruction and practice". It also devotes a lot of space to an animated wood pigeon decoy, called the "Tru-Iss" decoy, and quotes favourable reviews from "The Field" and "Shooting Times". All this would indicate a reasonably large working operation.

Another tidbit comes from Google, which finds an entry in a Christie's auction catalogue for an H. Trulock Harriss sidelock, serial number 21992. The serial number on this boxlock is a 3 digit affair in the low 500's. Perhaps a different serial number system was used for boxlocks and sidelocks?

The only other info that the search engines give is a reference in a collection of the papers of John Redmond (Irish politician). This indicates that in 1914 Redmond had paid Harriss the sum of £350 on an account for 3,600 rifles and bayonets and 50,000 rounds of ammunition. With such a trade one would think that the name would be less obscure.

London address or not, the gun in question wears Birmingham proof marks - Harriss bought this gun from the trade. It is a fairly standard A&D boxlock with 30 inch barrels, straight grip and splinter. As well as the usual Purdey bolt the action employs a Greener crossbolt. The fore end uses a Deeley latch rather than an Anson pushrod. The safety is automatic. There is a generous amount of engraving for a boxlock non-ejector, about 65% coverage. The barrels are well struck and still have a deep black finish. There is at least half of the case colour present. The gun weighs 7.07 lbs. and balances just a tiny fraction of an inch in front of the hinge pin. Best of all, the gun has had a stock extension added (with chequered butt) to bring the LOP out to 14 7/8 inches. Combined with drop of 1.55" / 2.38" and about 3/8th of an inch of cast, these are virtually the measurements I would have ordered!

While certainly no Purdey the gun displays excellent handling qualities and will be ideal for the various grouse, pheasant and Hungarian partridge I pursue in the fall. Until then it will have to be content with sporting clays.

When I purchased the gun, I had never heard of Henry Trulock Harriss. Obviously there is still much more to know, but at least now I have his full name, an approximate date and a little bit of the history. Thank you again for your input.

Anton

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anton:
Just to add a dimension, I own a VERY fine Trulock & Harriss 12-bore sidelock. As fine as any Purdey I've seen inside our out. No slight against Audley House. I also understand that Trulock & Harriss owned Rigby for a time. It's all fun.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anton,Lagopus, Kensal Rise

The Truelocke. smile

London:
William Truelocke apprenticed to Thomas Hollis, 1640, Free of Blacksmiths Co., 1655, Made free of Gunmakers Co., 1661, Elected Assistant, 1664, Master, 1673, Gunmaker, St. Martin's Lane, Charing Cross, 1660-75,

Appointed Gunsmith without Fee-in-Ordinary to Charles II, 1668, Contractor to Ordnance, 1661-80, Gun viewer to Hudson Bay Co., 1681-3.

Quoted from the diary of Samuel Pepys, March 29, 1667: “"One Truelocke the famous gunsmith, that is a mighty ingenious man and he did take my gun in pieces and made me understand the secrets thereof."”

Truelock, William son of William Truelocke 1653-1690
Apprenticed to Robert Silke., Turned over to father, 1667, Free of Gunmakers Co., 1674, Proof piece, 1674, Gunmaker to Ordnance, 1683.

George 1 Trulock, free of the Gunmakers' Company in 1688, and Assistant in 1700, was Gunmaker to Ordnance between 1695 and 1708.

Dublin :
Thomas Truelock 1720 -1798, October 25
Gunmaker and Sherriff to Lord Mayor of Dublin, Henry Hart (1774/5)
Alderman of Dublin (Elected August 6, 1792)

Thomas Truelock 1741 1830, Gunmaker
College Green, Dublin (1762-71), Old Church Street, Dublin (1787), Barrack Street, Dublin (1789-1821), 22 Suffolk Street, Dublin (1796), Dame Street, Dublin

Willliam Trulock's gunmaking business was called 'William Truelock & Son', Upon his death, it was taken over by his wife Elizabeth. After several years the name was changed and the business became known as 'E. Truelock and Son' (1843),
William left the sum of £1,384 to his wife, Elizabeth. George Trulock took over the business in 1853.

Joseph Harriss married Elizabeth Trulock in 1846 and went into partnership with his brother-in-law George Trulock. The business, formerly known as 'E. Trulock and Son', became henceforth known as 'Trulock and Harriss'.
Then, in 1898, Richardson, a gunmaker from Cork, joined and the company became known as 'Trulock, Harriss and Richardson'.

Trulock, Brothers, 13 Parliament street, Dublin.

Trulock Brothers. 11 Essex Bridge, Dublin.

The Trulock & Harriss company was based at 9 Dawson St, Dublin, Ireland. . In 1892 John Rigby was moving his Dublin operation to London and Trulock & Harris purchased the Dublin works of the Rigby company at 24- 64 Suffolk Street.

There was also a London branch at one point ?? which may or may not be Henry Trulock Harriss, 22 Bury Street, St. James, London 1909 to 1911-1916 of which Lagopus refers.

The company ceased trading at its Dublin address in 1914, to the best of my knowledge.

Oh BTW they produced some very nice guns.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Anton Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Birdog, thanks for that.

I remain skeptical about a direct connection between Trulock & Harriss and Henry Trulock Harriss, however close the sound of their names may be. It does seem rather coincidental, but I can find no real evidence of a connection.

Perhaps Henry T. Harriss is a relative of Joseph Harriss and maybe someone has a family tree which shows that relationship. It is not impossible that a relative moved to London and set up trade.

It is equally possible that they are unconnected. Given the amount of information available about Trulock & Harris and the dearth of it regarding H. Trulock Harris I consider that a likely possibility. I hope some day to know the truth. Isn't this half the fun with double guns?

Anton

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, Harris is rarely spelled with two ss in the UK
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anton, having a gun and then trying to figure out all about it is half the fun of owning it. Sometimes though you can end up with more questions than you started with. I wonder if he was on war work also which allowed him to flourish well and then go under in 1918 at the end of the conflict. Supplying bayonets in 1914 might be a clue to that being a possibility. Lagopus.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.