April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (David Williamson, obsessed-with-doubles, Hammergun, earlyriser, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 982 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,119
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mick39 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I own a Manton & co shotgun which I have had for some years now and would very much like to have some idea of it’s value as I know there are Belgian copies around too and am not sure if mine is one of those or the real thing.

It’s a 12 bore hammerless side by side shotgun, serial number 7551.

I will try to attached some photos to help determine more info and value etc.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mick.

Mick39 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

More photos

Sidelock
Sidelock

English Nitro Proof marks which put it between 1896 and 1904 as that is when they used the word Maximum after the weight of shot. Looks like it was made by W.C.Scott judging by the action. Possibly their Model 169. As to value a lot will depend on whether it is an ejector or non-ejector and if it is still in proof. I live in England and the value here will be a lot different to the value in America. If non-ejector say £200 to £300 and if ejector say £600 to £800 if still tight and in proof with no pitting. Best to take it to a nearby and reputable gunshop. Sale value will of course be different to insurance value. Lagopus.....

Mick39 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It also has MANTON & CO. GUN MAKERS TO HRH THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH K.G. LONDON & CALCUTTA - on top of the barrels. Is it possible that it could have been reproved at a later date as I was originally told from the serial number that it was made in 1821?
I live in UK - would value be more in UK or America?
Best regards
Mick

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Manton name was sufficiently recognized and valued by the market to constitute a valuable trademark. The trademark was continued into the 1900's even though the Manton's died in the early to mid 1800's. The Manton's, themselves, made no cartridge guns, only flint and percussion types.

This gun is an Anson & Deeley type boxlock with Webley & Scott Screw-Grip bolting (the word "Patent" on the lever is a dead give-away). W&S made Screw-Grips in boxlock and sidelock and in a wide range of original quality grades. Many Army & Navy and William Evans guns are on the Screw-Grip. Note that no model of the Screw-Grip was made to best work gun standards. I'd guess that this gun is from the late 1890's if the #7551 is the Manton serial as opposed to W&S serial (could be either way - look for the W&S S/N stamped on the barrel loop (forearm attach point)). For sure this gun was not built by the Manton's in 1821.

As to value in USA, the Brand Value of "Manton" marked cartridge guns is level three (BV3). This will be 1/2 the value of BV1 (Boss, H&H, Purdey, Woodward), and 2/3 the value of BV2 (17 well known gunmakers) for guns of similar original quality and similar current condition. The Original Quality grade appears to be about OQ6.5, between a second and third grade boxlock ejector ( I'm guessing this gun has ejectors based on model and what appears to be a split extractor stem in the first photo). Current condition would appear to be about level four, CC4; does "heavy use, but no abuse" describe the condition (although, the damaged screw slot in photo #1 casts some doubt).

BV3-OQ6.5-CC4 = $1500 for a 1890ish - 1960ish 12 bore SXS Brit/Continental gun of more or less usual models at USA retail. The gun is probably worth more in USA than the UK, but shipping may offset price difference on a relatively inexpensive gun (it cost no more to ship an expensive gun than an inexpensive gun, other than insurance).

I hope the foregoing is of some use, is understood to be based on assumptions from your description and photos, and might change significantly if the gun was actually in hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman: I have a very nice "MANTON & CO LONDON & CALCUTTA" 20 bore boxlock SN 77305. Do you have an idea when this gun was made & by whom?

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, we do know that Manton's used W&S at least once (above). Depending on memory of other Manton marked cartridge guns, the one above is fairly typical. Does yours appear to be a higher original quality grade? Is it in better current conditiion? We do know it has BV3 for the Manton brand name. 20 bore guns seem to go for about 1.5X - 2X the price of similar 12 bores. If your 20 bore was similar to the one above, I'd say $2250 - $3000. Post photos and I'll try to give you a more accurate estimate.

Look for a S/N on the barrel loop. I'd really like to know if Manton's were using W&S serials or their own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, we do know that Manton's used W&S at least once (above). Depending on memory of other Manton marked cartridge guns, the one above is fairly typical. Does yours appear to be a higher original quality grade? Is it in better current conditiion? We do know it has BV3 for the Manton brand name. 20 bore guns seem to go for about 1.5X - 2X the price of similar 12 bores. If your 20 bore was similar to the one above, I'd say $2250 - $3000. Post photos and I'll try to give you a more accurate estimate.

Look for a S/N on the barrel loop. I'd really like to know if Manton's were using W&S serials or their own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I checked both Joe and John Manton serial numbers out of curiosity and it bears no connection. I guess that Mick39 working with just the serial number would come up with a date like that; but it isn't. The marks are not re-proof so I would still put it as being most likely made in that 8 year gap. Doesn't seem to conform to Scott's serial numbering either although they are the probable makers. Nice gun all the same but it would fetch a higher price in America than here in England. Difficult to value without being hands on and able to measure. Somewhere about what I said above would be around the right price. Best to take it in to a reputable gun dealer for his opinion. Lagopus.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.