March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Adolf Machac, Brno - seller.
Trade mark N in shield - probably Newmann et Cie
Trade mark PS under 3-leaf plant - probably Prosper Schlemmer
and one more trade mark 'bow with arrow in circle' (don't remember).
Gun made in 1934. Siemens Martin Martele steel.
And guess who's maker?

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno:
Do you have a pic of the area ahead of the flats to the forend lug? The tubes look to be Röchling(Hermann), or someone is using a similar "hammer" mark as seen on the tubes, by Falla. The "N" in a "Shield" is the final/obligatory proofmark, 1931-1939, and the encircled "bow & arrow" is the Prague mark noting importation from Belgium. If Weipert, then a "*"(star) would accompany the "N" in a "shield". So I'd guess it was imported "in the white" from Dumoulin in Belgium or it sort of resembles a Faukner so it might have originated with Defourney, and then finished in Prague. The tube diameter was 16.7mm when it left Belgium and landed up at 16.8mm at Prague due to final polishing. It passed thru both Belgium and Prague in 1934.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgeron also supplied longarms to the Prague makers, specifically Frantisek Faukner, who expired in 1928 but his son Jan(also father's name - Jan Faukner of Pisek was the grandfather of Jan Faukner of Prague) continued in the business. Jan Faukner was born in 1895(September 10th) so I guess him to have been a master by the end of WWI. Frantisek Faukner moved from Kolin to Prague in 1909 and Jan continued the business till the nationalization in the late 1940s(1948?). Then Jan became a salesman in Jindriska at the Hubertus shop. He expired in 1972(August 7th). I typed all this to say that Frantisek Faukner's sister, Marie Fauknerova, married Antonin Machac in 1877. So I'm going to say that Jan Faukner imported a longarm "in the white" from either Defourney(more likely) or Forgeron(less likely) and finished the example in his shop in Prague. From the small sampling number of the serial number and respective proof dates I've noted, the serial number and date very, very closely match those of Frantisek Faukner.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey, your right, I complitely forgot about Prague 1931-1939 proof marks.
From the other hand nothing tells about Defourney or Dumoulin or Faukner made this gun in white or finished this gun, no sucha trade marks on gun.
I can't recognize trade mark PS under 3-leaf plant (or flowers), but it could be mark of Czech maker.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno,

I think you were correct in your 1st post. The PS is the mark of Prosper Schlemmer who was located at Walter Jamar, 189 a Ans, 1924-1927. He held at least one patent. He seems to have died or left the business. However Yvette Schlemmer was active 1927-1934. Yvette was either his son or brother. In any case, it would not be uncommon from him to take over the old trade mark and change it a bit.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could easily go along with "PS" being the Prosper Schlemmer firm and they filed the frame and possibly fitted the action. There should be additional marks from the flats toward the forend lug. But the locks from tool steel and pin configuration seem Defourney or Dumoulin but all may have been getting their components for the same source. Being just pure speculation, I think there was reciprocity between Belgium & Prague & Wiepert. I haven't had the time to confirm but when I have time will look here: (copy & paste) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Internationale_Permanente_pour_l'Epreuve_des_Armes_%C3%A0_Feu_Portatives ( http://www.cip-bp.org/ ). So assuming reciprocity, I can't see why there was final proof in Prague unless it was finished there. If it was peddled from Brno why did it have to pass thru the Prague proofhouse and not Weipert? I thought the new Czech state to be somewhat under the German's thumb(protectorate?) and there were other Belgian examples peddled in Prague or Weipert without import stamps. All bets are off of course if there wasn't an agreement or the Czech state wasn't a member.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whew, not much I can add to what you fellows say. It has been my experience that Belgian guns , imported in the white, are sometimes marked with the source in the ejector mechanism. You might remove the forend wood and see if there is a mark like Britte or similar. I don't know if you can see it , but this is a Nowotny of Prague mechanism with Britte marks.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 04/02/10 11:14 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno:
I'd suggest dropping a line to the Prague proofhouse, http://www.cuzzs.cz/index.php?lang=en , and see if they have info on the non-inland and might point to the finisher in Prague. I don't think they respond to inquiries in English. Any chance of additional pics of the area ahead of the flats?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or any chance of pics of the ejector mechanism ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still content that the Machac peddled example was finished in Prague and comparing OWD's Jaroslav Holecek's, of Hradeck Kralove, peddled Belgian self opener:

which only wears the import mark and year.

Another of Jaroslav Holecek's retailed examples has very similar screw and pin configuration. Holecek preferred very short tubes similar to Churchill, as well as multiple barrel sets.

Below a Joseph Cap example:

This Joseph Cap example, which lacks the side frame reinforcement, wears an encirced "F" which I think is the import mark for Austria.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaroslav Holecke 12/16 combo as mentioned above but I made an additional post to compare to the subject Machac double:

As per Geno and the pic the steel isn't Roechling but the similar "hammer" stamps belong to some craftsman.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.