April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Richard Fischer, Junior circa 1907 - supposed to be one of the top pistol shots of his time. Lovely stance although I suspect it was staged.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Max G. Fischer was known for his pistols.

A Fischer is named in this photo(4th from the left) but I can't say for sure which one but I would guess of the Max line but who knows.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is of any interest, I had a Max G. Fischer, Berlin, marked Mauser 98 in 9x57 rimless Mauser.
Proofed 118/35. German Nitro proof marks, (2 crowns + N). Prooved for 2/8 g GBP St. m. G.
The scope was a Landlicht 4 x 81, (made by Dr. Walter Gerard / Landlicht AG, Germany). The mounts were Akah and the 22 1/2” barrel, hex to round. Half stock with reinforcing plates, set trigger and a full length machine-finished rib. Bore was cerrosafe'd as 0.3585 dia.

This particular rifle would group four 250 grain Hornady Interlocks into 1,1/4” at 100 yards. One thing that gave it a little bit of class was a piece of horn inset behind the trigger guard, on the grip. The stock looked terrible but I got it but refinished and it came up a treat with a good deal of original fiddle-back finish. To remove the rear Akah mount, the scope had to be dissembled as the rings did not come apart.
Undoing the screw simply allowed them to spring apart a little to slide along the tube.

Traded for a 6,5x68.

Last edited by Kiwi; 06/21/12 05:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually it is the gun that was at Ben Loving, I know as I brought from him, I traded away after awhile as I could not get the ejection problem fixed and found a still better 16 that I could not resist. I found if I was careful when loading the shells not to press them but let them sit loosely the gun could be closed without issue. My son hunted with it without issue but once.

Max Fischer was a Berlin gunshop that did not survive the war at one time I had the address, it had the misfortune of being near the war ministry and was bombed out. I had some references for it but cannot now find them now.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, old colonel, you are saying the Max Fischer clamshell Facile Princeps actioned gun in the first several photos above was indeed the gun that Ben Loving had for some time? You bought it from Loving, then traded it away and Clay ended up with it? That makes good sense, there surely are not many of those action designs marked Fischer in the country. I looked at it with an eye toward adding it to the other Max Fischer gun I already had, but could not get together with Loving on it. I find it very interesting that at least three of us here on this bbs became seriously interested in the same gun. That was some time back, perhaps six or seven years when I initially saw the gun. Fischer apparently either was quite a craftsman himself, or had someone working with him who was. The few examples of his work I have seen have all had good finish detail, including nice stocking and engraving. Not many of his guns turn up. I notice that gun is marked "M.G. Fischer, Berlin" while mine is marked "Max Fischer, Berlin." Wonder why he used two different "signatures?"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure it is the same as I have pictures of it and the serial numbers on the water table, engraving, markings on screws, problem with the ejectors all match.

It is a lovely gun but it has a limp and I could not see myself putting more money into redoing the stock if I could not cure it. The challenge of the facile princep is that so few can make them right. That said today I do have a actual Greener 16 FH50 facile princep but with a different ejector system. It is not as intersting as the Fischer, but a good gun and it has been bent to fit me. It is my light gun weighing 5 1/2, which I use for walks.

Last edited by old colonel; 06/24/12 05:37 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think there was a Max Fisher Sr. and a Max Fischer Jr., but they both may not have been Max G. Fischer.

On an early hammergun - note the initials M.F. 207

It may be that the serialization continued with both. From the 1890s to a guess of 1908 they were at Prinz-Albrecht-Straße(Niederkirchnerstraße today). The street was constructed in the early 1890s and some type of construction of the palace forced Max G. Fischer to move to Kockstraße 2 prior to WWI.

Whenever the move at the end of some construction effort, a banner that said we've moved hung at intersection of Prinz-Albrecht-Straße & Wilhelmstraße. Based on the 1908 Franz Jäger adverts noting Max G. Fischer as an agent at Prinz Albrecht Straße 1, I assume that
to be the final days at the address.

Fritz Fischer of Kirchstraße 8 of Friedenau near Berlin had a couple of pistol type D.G.R.M. or utility patents, 326134 & 327106, during 1908. For now I don't know what the Max G. Fischer relationship might have been, if any.

If I read it correctly, a Berlin Pistol shooter Fischer is the 4th from the left. Always, pistol expert Richard Fischer, Jr. is noted as Fischer - Gera, so this just may be our Max G. Fischer.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Last edited by vlad; 10/22/12 02:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice. Glad you found us with your first post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.