May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, oskar, Licensed to kill, Jeremy Pearce, bushveld), 271 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,025
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

To Market Hunter;
I've read and re-read your remarks to me and to Keith several times over and If you believe you're NOT being a smart alec, your ignorance of the English language and how to talk to people is as obvious as your ignorance of ballistics and shotguns!

BTW, I'll be 74 years old, this coming Saturday and I've been a smart alec for most of those years. I do know how to recognize a smart alec. But, in spite of my tendencies that way, I try very hard to be a gentleman on this very gentlemanly board, you'd do well to try the same.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/03/10 11:53 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

more info on the shotgun, sidelock action. so i think it was made between 1906 and 1909. i fired it 5 times today with factory load and felt stock play, after looking at pictures i think the stock was a replacement. it didnt fit well inside so i bedded the tangs in epoxy paste. maybe it will work maybe it wont. the only marking i can find is on the flats on bottom of breech, has a 1 stamped in it. grade i asume.back to some of my questions, 1. what would the psi for shells be in that era gun? 2. was the load i listed appropriate for my batavia leader? 3. while i appreciate all the opinions and info can we end the pissin contest and get back to my questions? thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems as though you either are confused by all the advice, or are waiting to get the answer you want.
I get that most are saying the gun is not suitable for any long term (or at all) use of hi-pressure loads, which yours seem to be, with that much Bullseye - (Scary as H.. to me, actually). As far as fixing looseness, take it to a good gunsmith and find out if the problem is locking bolt wear, pin wear, stretch, or......
No insult intended. You asked for an answer, my opinion.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

yes getting very confused, i realize it is and was a cheap gun. not intended for mag loads, however i thought the bullseye load was a low pressure load. yes i would like to shoot the h&a. no i dont want it too blow up in my hands. 10-4 on the gunsmith for the looseness. i had it fixed once before i got the bullsye loads for the same issue. i dont think i am at all waiting for the anser i want to hear other than a safe psi load???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pissin' contests go on here from time to time. Folks do get wet, but I don't think anyone has actually drowned.

Back to your original questions... Well designed doubles of that era typically digest 8500-9000 psi loads with little problem. 8000 or even a bit less might be better for many such as your H&A. There are some handloads that produce reasonable velocities at even lower pressures, but there are reports of squib loads with some very low pressure loads, especially at very cold temperatures. Breech pressure is only one component of the forces that contribute to wear and failure. A 7/8 oz. load at 1100 fps will recoil far less than a 1 1/4 oz. load at the same velocity. It's recoil (plus abuse, poor inletting, oil soaking, etc.) that damages wood... not breech pressure. I'm not sure if your Bullseye load is/was appropriate for your old Damascus Baker. But once it is loose, every shot give the parts a running start at each other, and the damage is accelerated. Even mild loads will do more damage at that point. It's probably a gunsmith fix to do properly, but the cost might exceed the value of your gun. There are temporary fixes such as shimming the hook that are less costly, or free if you do it yourself, and may buy you some time for further use. Depends how bad it is now.

A hell of a lot of these old doubles digested heavy factory loads over the years. I used them myself before I knew better. Tight, well designed makes withstood occasional use with little or no damage. Some makes were crap right out of the box and would still be crap if they spent the last century in a closet. But hundreds of thousands of fine old doubles were ruined because their owners abused and neglected them and shot them with inappropriate ammo. Some people are OK with that and until I become dictator of the world, I can't change that. But I can try to help guys like you who care enough to ask.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #181431 03/05/10 04:37 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks for the help. i dug out some supplies and loaded s few in the 8000psi range to try out this morning, shoots quite nice,low recoil. haven't hit the patterning board yet. to see how they perform. i found a box of 1000 rem fig 8 wads in the barn so made 11/8 loads. i think i might order some TT buckshot for a varmint load.might have to re-stock an old 16ga N R Davis i aquired while searching my stuff i found a few hundred unfired 16ga hulls and a bunch of wads.worst thing about being an accumulator is i never remember what i have lol. thanks again gentlemen and happy shooting!!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Legg,

As you noted above that you are a 74 year old smart alec today, I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday and many more years of shooting two barreled guns.

I see Dave Weber added a little birthday cake by your name. Nice touch.

Keith

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #181586 03/07/10 02:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Keith. My birthday present was a Lefever H grade, from Mark Larson, came yesterday. Of course, I had to buy it for myself. My wife, Ann, just paid for dinner, tonight.
Thanks again,

> Jim Legg <

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.