April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, Roundsworth, gasgunner, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,788
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was given a box of misc shells last night. There is a loaded brass Winchester 12 with a red card over wad marked Tear Gas, 1935.
It is a first for me.
Can any shell collectors shed some light?

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never heard of a 12ga gas shell, but I have a break action tear gas gun in what must be about 4ga. An uncle of mine was manager of a textile mill in middle GA back when they were having union disputes, and the mill owners bought several of the guns in case of riot.

My gun looks about like the single shot grenade launchers I used in the Army back in the 60's and 70's...remember the one painted in tiger stripes the guy used in "Apocalypse Now". I also have a single shot pistol that my grandfather called a 'very-gun' he brought back from France in WW-1; it looks to be about 8ga. I'm not sure whether the very-gun was used for gas delivery or just for signal.

Your 12ga gas shell was probably for military or police use...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a 12 Bore REVOLVER marked "Manville Gas" and a slew of those 12 bore brass gas shells. Gun looked as if were made of Bakelite. I made the mistake at about 12 years of age of shooting it into a chickenhouse (no chickens).When I got done crying from the gas, I got to start all over again, when my Mom whipped my butt. Something to do with her cats being in the chicken house.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a single shot break action 4ga handgun made of aluminum with German markings (WWII). It is my understanding this was a flare (signaling) gun. It is I think similar to the Very pistol.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some "Very" signal pistols were built by Webley on their 455 revolver frames, standard issue by Brit army in both wars, I seem to recollect. Using 8 bore paper hulls loaded with magnesium flares of different colours. Widely used by all 3 Service branches
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always wondered about the very-pistol I have, but have almost no information about it. Looking at it tonight, I see what looks like English proof marks, including crown over 'A', crown over 'B' and crown over 'U'. I'd always assumed it was US issue untill tonight when I noticed the proof marks. Beside the serial number is a cursive 'M' inside an oval. There is also a number '4' in a circle. The opening lever is a push forward type under the trigger guard. The lock-up is a double bite into a lump under the back of the barrel. It came down through the family with a paper 8ga Remington 'arrow' #5 shell. The paper shell is swollen, so I can't really tell whether it fits the chamber. Any one know anything about these things???...Geo

Yes I know this is totally off topic and I apologize for usurping the thread.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 02/18/10 11:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found it here; its the 8th gun down in the pictures:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/signal-pistols.htm

Looks like Grand-daddy picked this one up off the enemy!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

From that site mine is closest, but not exact, to the one marked as a 1940 Walther. I do not recall it having a makers name on it, but rather a code. I also have an aluminum 4 ga flare shell (fired) but the rim is a little thick to allow this gun to close on it. As I recall it has US markings.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

We used to use a 12 guage CS round here in the U.K. Police called a Barricade Penetrating Cartridge or 'Ferret' for short. They were made in the U.S. by AAI Corporation, Baltimore, Maryland. The cases were made by Peters and had a charge of black powder. There was a bomb shaped projectile made of plastic which containes 3cc. of liquid CS. It was for use for firing through glass windows or thin skinned doors where it would burst open and flood the room. Very effective! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got several old large flare shells. Any of you guys interested in shooting your flare guns, give me an email at brdslayr@clearwire.net and we'll come up with a price.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.