April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (obsessed-with-doubles, SKB, Hammergun, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 979 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178638 02/13/10 04:14 PM
gunder Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello, I am new to this board, and I was hoping to get some information on a GL Rasch made? double barrel hammer gun. It has damascus barrels in 12ga. Left side lock says Braunschweig in gold, Right side lock GL. Rasch. I cant locate the serial number under the forearm or under barrels etc. One small proof mark on the underside of barrels. It has a very fine circle engraving on locks and receiver and also on sides of hammers. Very tight and seems like a very well made gun. Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Gunder

gunder Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Here are some pictures

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gunder,
I have a GL Rasch from Braunschweig, that is a Collath action. I have been told that GL Rasch was a retailer and not an actual maker. My 16ga Rasch is very well made and my first side by side given to me by my dad, he recieved it from a Mr Wurtz who brought it from Germany when he emigrated to the US in the 1920's.
Sorry I don't have more information for you maybe some of the more knowledgable will ad some.

Jeff G.

gunder Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks for the reply Jeff.does your gun have a serial # mine does not. do you know of any websites where i might get some information? thanks, Gunder

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a fair amount of Rasch guns. There is no doubt that he aquired actions from other makers, but I've seen enough similarity between guns to think that he or someone working for him finished them. Braunschweig is the town in Germany where he operated from the late 1800's till early 1900's. I'm missing my files, don't remember the last observed date. He was also considered a 'Hofbuchsenmacher' which roughly translates to 'gunmaker to the king' I believe. Most of the guns I have seen are pretty nice, or were at some time. Truth is, there is little known about many of the smaller makers.

gunder Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for your reply R.R.Any idea about its value?I carried it around a local gun show and none of the vendors seemed to know about it but one guy offered me 500 for it.Any thoughts on that? thanks again ,Gunder

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gunder,
Mine has a 3 digit serial number. Yours is older, mine has steel barrels and is hammerless.
I would think (depending on condition) that it would be worth a bit more maybe $800-$900.
Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sources give that Georg Ludwig Rasch was born in Braunschweig in 1792 and drew his last breath in this world as a gunmaker sometime in 1867. Using the age of 24 years as the approximate age for completing the gunmaker’s walkabout and paying for his(her?) master gunsmith sheepskin, Georg Ludwig Rasch would have been a master gunsmith in 1816 and I guess him to have been a supplier to a duke’s court about the time percussion firearms entered on the scene. Which duke’s court, I can’t say for now. I’ve seen info that indicated Georg Ludwig Rasch was also an engraver. But the majority of the appointments as suppliers to the royal courts also began about percussion era and for now I think very few hofbuchmachers lived into the 20th century. Heinrich Leue could be one of the very last. But I’ve seen Rasch pinfire examples on the Lefaucheux action and I expect he made percussion doubles sourcing tubes and guns “in the white” from Birmingham and a few examples are noted as having Westley Richard tubes? Probably just after his death G.L. Rasch sourced doubles from the craftsmen in Belgium and Suhl as I’ve seen Sauer marks on G.L. Rasch retailed hammer doubles. In the late 1800s there is an Otto Rasch listed as a gunmaker having a repair facility. I can’t say if this is how G.L. Rasch sourced his components or longarms or even if G.L. Rasch and Otto Rasch were related.

Gunder:
Could you post a few pics of the flats or post any marks or initials on the tubes ahead of the flats?

Jeff G.:

Yes, your's is a Teschner-Collath type and I would be it passed thru the Frankfurt/Oder proofhouse, if any. Any marks on the flats or ahead of the flats?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Raimey,
I will check it and let you know.

Jeff

gunder Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Raimey, Hi, Here are some pictures. The only mark I could find is on the barrels. Nothing on the flats or on barrels ahead of the flats. Do you know what kind of material the black rib is made of? This gun has firing pins for center fire shells. Was it converted? Also same black material on butt. Thanks for all the information.
Gunder

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.