March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a FN SXS that is a twin to yours, with the exception that it doesn't have a cheek piece. It's a 16 gauge with 30" barrels, that weighs 5lbs. 14 oz.
It has had barrel work by a previous owner (chambers and chokes)
it is a terrific bird gun despite its long barrels.
I tried to post pictures of it following the instructions.
How do you post multiple images?
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete:
Just copy another image right below it. Is that an "ACL"/"ACM"/"ACN" encircled and what is the stamp just above that? Also there is another encircled set of initials on the right tube near the lower rib? By the scribbling("70" beside chamber info & "IC" & "Mod"), someone has lengthened your chambers as well as noted, or modified, the chokes(I now see that in your post).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 02/02/10 07:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr, that is, AC over
CI They are in a circle.
just above that is what appears to be the letter V .

the initial on the right tube near the rib looks like the letter K with a star over it. (it has no circle).
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete:
Thanks and there's that encircled "V" again. It may be the pic & my eyes but there looks to be an encircled "JL"? on the right tube just above the encircled "V". An encircled "AC/CL" may just note yet another "Acier Cockerill" craftsman user who was sourced by FN?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see another mark above the v.
I have to leave the house but when I get back I'll see if I canpost better pictures and some more info I have.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since IC and Mod are scratched on the barrels, the guy who did the modifications might just as well have scratched 2 3/4 instead of 70.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am having an awful job trying to post these pictures but if you are interested I'll continue.
Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete, I am interested in seeing more pictures. That picture looks like mine. Could you put a picture with more of the description and whatever else you might have.
They are calling it Cockerill special.

I have a few questions; When I went to pick up gun, I noticed it was slightly off-face. Got it home and checked it with feelers and is .003 loose. Looking at area of hinge pin, I see a center pin, so I get a drift and lightly tap it and feel that it is moving. Drive it all the way, and find out it releases the cocking levers. Take the fancy screw plates off, and see inside that the hinge pin has a slotted head also. Notice that I can turn it slightly, but what is holding it. Notice on end of receiver a retaining screw, take it out and now I can turn hinge pin and take it out. Mike it up and I can see about a .002 difference. Rotated pin 1/4 turn and marked for a new pilot hole for what I will call anti-rotation pin , Try barrels and no movement. Job done. Replaced the other hardware and assembled and everything is tight.
Question, is this common for European guns to have, and do any American guns have this feature. If not were the Europeans the only ones smart enough to know that wear will occur and the hinge pin will have to be rotated or replaced?

The more I look at this standard grade gun, the more I like the workmanship and quality.

Another question, in measuring the different pieces, and gong to my decimal/metric chart, the sizes are not even increments. Example retaining pin for cocking levers. .139=3.53mm, hinge pin diameter .334=8.48mm.

Many years ago I worked with machines set up with Metric dials because that's how the prints were. They gave the decimal in quotations, but in my opinion using the metric machines was easier. We had machines in both 1 for 1 and 2 for 1. The 1 for 1 was nice for close tolerance work.

I think I will like this gun, but I still like the "elsies".

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a picture of the FN factory that made the gun.
I got a lot of these pictures from Robert Chambers who used to post on this site.
I don't know much about the hinge pin, but I'll agree that it's a very well made gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another picture of the gun.
Pete

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.