April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Gerry Addison, David Williamson, AGS, eightbore, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 467 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#175947 01/25/10 12:00 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like to build a try gun used in fitting customers in the field.I have a Beretta 682 12ga, that i would like to use as a platform.I have both a full pistol grip and an straight grip stock that i could uses.There is not much out there that i can find.Does anyone have any plans or some good pictures.anything will help.I want to get everything together before i start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to Google, type in try-gun or some variation like building a try-gun. Lots of things will come up. Here's one: http://www.csmcspecials.com/WINCHESTER_Model_12_Factory_Try_Gun_p/9275.htm

One thing made clear in one of the articles was that "simply having a try-gun does not make you a gunfitter". I'd certainly agree with that.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I gave some thought to this project a few yrs back. For the most part, an ajustable comb and fully adjustable buttplate should do the job. There's not much need for a traditional hinged wrist type stock, from what I could tell. It's do-able with off the shelf parts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're going to address cast on or off, I think you'll need the knuckle fitting

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a true/professional try gun. It has an adjustable comb, adjustable butt both for length and pitch, also it is adjustable at the nuckle

Regards

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

If by "nuckle" or "knuckle" you guys mean the wrist has a joint. I think that can be addressed with an adjustable comb and butt that allow for lateral adjustmment as well as LOP. That joint at the wrist in most traditional tryguns is a bugger in terms of making it and keeping it from moving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Chuck. A moveable butt will not change a solid comb's affect on cast but with both, I think you could simulate change cast and take your measurements from there. Some adjustable combs will only move laterally but I've been told they can be made to go higher/lower and right/left at one end by wallowing out the holes for the posts.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am thinking of building one also. Machining a knuckle would not be too difficult for this old retired machininst. As most have read my posts on stock duplicating, I have been on a project of building pattern stocks for rifles. I can duplicate rear stocks for a try gun, so if anyone gets to the point of building a try gun, maybe I can help out.

I recently received a book "Gunfitting" by Michael Yardley. Ordered it from Amazon. This book has photos of try guns and a chapter describing how to use the try gun. I highly recommend this book for anyone fitting shotguns!! Very well written, many photos, and even has chapters on fiting the rifle stock and managing recoil. Yardley is a gunfitter/stockmaker/shooting instructor in in Britain, so he is well learned in the London Tradition of fine gun fitting.

John, I would love to see photos of your try gun:

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I have a true/professional try gun. It has an adjustable comb, adjustable butt both for length and pitch, also it is adjustable at the nuckle

Regards

John Boyd

Sidelock
Sidelock

So is this a dead topic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The book "Plans and Specifications of the L.C. Smith Shotgun" by Brophy has a dimensioned drawing of the Hunter try stock on pp229 and 230. Those drawings might be a good place to start on the design of one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.