April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Ken Nelson, Jtplumb, btbell, Stanton Hillis, graybeardtmm3), 856 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#175675 01/23/10 01:39 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see I am now at "full" choke. How is it we get these stars?? Can someone enlighten me please.

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know how you get them But I'm an expert on losing them. Notice I only have ONE star. Just state something here that's not politically correct and you'll lose stars in a heartbeat. Whether you actually know something about doubles and actually contribute to this forum is irrelavant. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not it just has to be politically incorrect. IMO It's a shame to see this on a firearms forum where we'll never be politically correct no matter what we do. Furthermore political correctness is just playing right into the hands of the enemy.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, I agree with Jim. At one time I had 3, then 1 now 2. I think you lose them if you post something that someone else thinks is a "dumb" question or post. They may not like the subject matter you comment on or if you disagree or correct someone on a subject. This may be their way of "getting back" at you. To me it's being in Kindergarten, you do good you get a star.

To be frank, I wish the board would eliminate these "Stars". Who really cares what you get, I don't.

This is a wonderful board with a well of knowedge that can not be duplicated. There are some folks here that will help, advise and encourge you, whatever your question. Then there are some who are just plain jerks. Smart answers, never having anything good or constructive to say. These individuals are few, but loud enough to discourge new members, who believe it or not can and do have some good things to contribute to this board.

The two other boards I belong to that are the most friendly and helpful to any and all is the "I Love My Spanish Guns" on SGW and the Smokers Fourm (this is a pipe smoking fourm). The members there treat you like family and are always willing to help. We all can learn from them.

Just my 2c worth. Now I'm down to 1 star, oh well.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, You have to buy "em". PayPal $20.00 to {NametheStar@MilkyWay.com}......

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Don't know how you get them But I'm an expert on losing them. Notice I only have ONE star. Just state something here that's not politically correct and you'll lose stars in a heartbeat. Whether you actually know something about doubles and actually contribute to this forum is irrelavant. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not it just has to be politically incorrect. IMO It's a shame to see this on a firearms forum where we'll never be politically correct no matter what we do. Furthermore political correctness is just playing right into the hands of the enemy.
Jim

X2 !!!!! especially the highlighted part !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since I retired as a colonel, I figure it's a promotion if even have just one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the "old" board, I invoked a utility and was able to remove my stars displayed.
About a year ago on this "new" board I mentioned that I got rid of my stars on the "old" board. Two clowns immediately hung two stars on me. Can't seem to find the utility on this "new" board where I can UNSTAR myself.
I wear my "gongs" on November 11, and would like to keep it that way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also would join in asking for the star system to be removed. They don't add anything constructive and actually create a bit of tension. Dave, are you listening?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The star system is retarded. How can a guy who tells lies, is extremely rude, a crybaby and an antagonist get four or five stars? Or a clown who has nothing positive to say and acts like the boards policeman have two stars? And then there's guys like PeteM, Ellenbr, Walt Snyder, Dr. Drew THE damascus guru, John Mann, and others who only have two or three stars when all those guys do is provide excellent research and information and never really have anything negative to say about anyone or anything? Ya, the system is jacked for sure. Well.....looks like I'm gonna be down to one star in no time flat. :-(

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 01/23/10 12:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How stars work: "Ratings of one's peers" or pissing match results (depending on your view and your chosen role) are AVERAGED. Could happen that "two clowns" might both rate you a two-star type guy but I doubt it. (2+2)/2=2. More likely that, assuming both have an interest in this back-room bashing, each would give you the old 1 or minimum rating in which case (1+1)/2=1. A much more likely genesis of your puny little galaxy is that one of your "peers" who values your contributions but prizes his rep for "stern yet fair" has given you a 4 and each of the clowns a 1. (4+1+1)/3=2.

Avoid friends who think that the stars are cumulative and want to start you on this journey with the smallest of merit badges, knowing that you should, and will, fight yourself to the top one star at a time. First rule of stars: Have a few family members or friends register and each rate you a 5 (assuming you can trust them to do so). After a while you will lose stars but also sink into the undifferentiated middle where a 5 or 1 doesn't do a lot to your little row of merit badges.

I think it's interesting that Steve thinks he's a "Full" based on the "Browning system". The old board, as opposed to the old, old board probably, had a lot of graphic bells & whistles and I think instead of stars you got double muzzles or muzzles of doubles. The ideal is that stars provide a shorthand for peer review and produce a "marked" hierarchy of wisdom and expertise. In some undisputed cases, it has done exactly that; most of the time it's just another way to take the piss out of somebody. We'd get along fine without it.

jack

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.