Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#174940 01/19/10 08:21 AM
Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

4 rounds 12G double gun with sliding breech made by A.Forgeron in 1935.
Charles A. Leve(?) Patent. Can't find this patent.
Sliding breech block with top made from wood.
On-Off Ejector NOT(?) Auto Switch on both sides of sliding breech.
As I understand not fired shell stays in chamber in full length or will be ejected, if switch is on, and replaced by next shell from magazine. It seems this system is far from ideal.

Geno.
Geno #174944 01/19/10 08:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see now how the French invented Fries

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall many years ago A gun of this type being featured on the cover of an "American Rifleman" magazine with a story about it inside. I don't recall if this was the maker's name or not. I do recall it being stated its intended purpose was to "Replace" a matched pair of guns for driven bird shooting & do away with the need for a loader. The shooter himself could simply open & close the breech with no more time required than swapping guns.
PS; The gun featured in the Rifleman was built by a Belgian maker & I note this gun has Belgian proof marks. Love them "French Fries"

Last edited by 2-piper; 01/19/10 09:55 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Geno,

One of these DArne-style, four shot, repeater actions actions was featured in a gun magazine here, some time ago. Tho, this is not exact information, I do recall that the writer had test fired it and that despite it's unlikely looking apparatus, the gun functioned and re-loaded just fine.

Bye the bye, I have always remembered your engineer friend in Siberia, who owned a three bbl set for his IZH94. As you stated, he had it 'because it always worked'. Unfortunately, Remington, who is the current importer has little understanding of the 'utility and value' a basic IZH design offers, and insists on some stupid cosmetic and labeling effort to justify higher prices for the same basic gun. EEA, who was the former importer, just let the guns speak for themselves. And, here in the Great lakes region, they sold very well, as a useful firearm that is reliable.

I once was a duck hunters fair, Point Mouliee in Michigan, when a fellow strolled by with an IZH side by side, that had no finish and greyed worn wood. It obviously had little or no care. But the owner said it had worked reliably for as long as he could remember, as it was his Dad's only gun.

As for craftsmanship on high level Russian guns, the absolute best furniture restorer i ever met was from Russia. I asked him how he had developed such mature and encompassing skills at his relatively young age. He explained that he had been selected for and attended 'artist's training', beginning in grade school. There, all students were taught the Classical Western Canon, as well as there own traditional motifs.

Whether it was inlaid veneer, or acanthus leaf carving, or matching in missing parts, or building a case from scratch, or restoring an image, gilding, or applying a French polish his work was superlative. The education system supplied a steady stream of such graduates into the economy, at very compotent skill levels.

Another fellow from Hungary, Lukas Novotny, attended a similar education. He is skilled in all sorts of disciplines, but is mostly noted for his fine Asiatic bows -- Saluki Bows [website]. However, he forges Japanese-style steel, paints, carves, is a fine art glass artisan, and has all around skills. He's a well traveled scholar and was one of the founders of the horse archery movement in this country.

Again, there is the product of 'state schools', with a comprehensive education and training in the arts of Western civilization. Since Tsar Peter hauled in the Best of the West, and said "Teach and Build" Russia has created and executed as fine a work as hands could produce anywhere. One only requires the eyes to see it and the brain to comprehend it.

Then again, while not a ''fine gun, there is that failed and inferior product of one Mr Kalishnikov, too. You know, that AK-47? I hear that the user actually has to pull the trigger in order for it to fire. Ain't that an archaic concept?

Well, cheers in icy vodka, Geno. Don't let those rating stars mean nuthin' to you. While this board is home to scholars, and is a wonderful educational and information swapping tool, it tends to be like a small village where feelings, opinions, and disputes are way out of proportion to the rest of the good information. As the Hispanic saying goes, "Da Nada".

Relax; we're all experts here.
2-piper #174958 01/19/10 10:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Febuary, of 1977 "American Rifleman" cover story by Roger Barlow. The gun Roger saw and wrote about was in the Museum at Liege, and was built there by Charles Levy, circa 1928.
Roger noted the serial number was 204, and surmised that few had been built.

The gun didn't appear to be sleeved jOe, so, you can go back to your cornflakes.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting markings. Compressed Steel with an eagle belonged to Joseph Cape. I have seen his barrels on other Forgeron guns. If I am not mistaken the date code is for 1935.

I can not find anything on the patent holder, Charles Leve in any of my usual Belgian or French sources.

However, I did find the patent. It relates to new type of extractor / ejector. Leve was from Cannes, France. He filed a protective patent in the USA.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=c4tPAAA...;q=&f=false

He also filed his patents in France, Germany, Denmark and Belgium.

http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetai...36804E&KC=E

http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetai...14937A&KC=A

Pete

PeteM #174995 01/19/10 01:40 PM
Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good work, John!
As additional info... I've been told Charles Leve never made guns himself, he was inventor only. Gun #204 in Liege museum probably made by MAB or C.A.T. (CAT...I don't know what it is) or some sort of Belgium factory.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

The gun didn't appear to be sleeved jOe, so, you can go back to your cornflakes.

Best,
Ted

It takes being worth something to ever get sleeved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Uh-huh. Tell me, did you sell your sleever to a museum?

I mean, a museum outside of Tennessee?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun Roger Barlow had, I believe, was a 28 ga.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.