March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 2 invisible), 367 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174394 01/14/10 04:35 PM
Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In addition to proof marks on the receiver flats, a few of these that I have seen recently will have a two digit number stamped on the flat such as 54 or 66. Could this be the manufacture date or proofing date? I didn't realize that these ZP (at least they look like the ZP 47/49 etc. series BRNOS') were made prior the the 1970's.
Jorge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jorge:

Typically the date is at the end of the proof data string and hyphenated(?). You can see the "77" at the end of the above date string on the left side of watertable. Also the date appears on the right flat atop the Shield "N" stamp. Some earlier versions didn't have the hyphen and I can't say just how many models there were but they seem to concide with the year of the change.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a ZP 47 and a 49 with dates in the early sixties. I've always figured that was the manufacture date...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

How many models were there and what are the differences, or at least the variation between the ZP 47 & ZP 49?

I guess the number before the date is the Nth longarm to pass in that year.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

49 had ejectors...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would probably be worth $12 U.S. of A. to Cornell Pub. to see the description of the different models up to 1975: http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=122

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to own one. The number after the dash is the year of manufacture. I have this this bit of info on one that was offered on Gunbroker a few years ago:

Česká zbrojovka a.s., Uherský Brod, (CZUB), is a firearms manufacturer established in 1936 in the small Moravian town in the Czech Republic. After World War II all the firearms manufacturers were managed by a single central agency which required that "Any firearm exported will bare the BRNO markings", this is why there are a great deal of CZ Uhersky Brod firearms with BRNO markings.
Throughout the Cold War CZ manufactured a wide variety of military small arms including the CZ 52 pistol, the CZ 58 assault rifle, the vz. 61 Škorpion, various .22 caliber training and target rifles and of course the CZ 75 family of pistols.
In 1991 the Czech weapons factories were "de-centralized" and began business as free market companies. CZUB was the first to move into the free world economy, establishing a small arms presence across the globe and dominating the market in over 60 countries.
In 1991 CZUB established a permanent presence in the United States with the founding of CZ-USA. CZUB and CZ-USA continue to expand and dominate the small arms market world wide, with military, police, defensive, sporting and recreational firearms of unparalleled design and quality.
The CZ factory employs some 2000+ highly trained engineers, craftsmen and business personnel, making it one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world.

Barrels are forged chopper lumps with third upper bite (Purdey design) made of Poldi electro steel, silver brazed with solid concave rib 28.3” (720mm) in length choked modified and improved. Actual stamping on the bottom of barrels reads: 17.6 diameter on left and 17.8 on right, then both barrels have 18.35 diameter throats, obviously in millimeters. Czech required proof mark is stamped –95, which means gun was made in 1995. Production ceased in 1998. Chambers are 2. ¾” and fitted with selective ejectors (fired shell eject, unfired extract). Ejectors are operated by Anson & Deeley type splinter forend latch. Action is of true sidelock with etched game scenes finished in silver, complimented with cocking indicators and automatic safety on upper tang. Double triggers, oval cheekpiece, LOP 14.1/4”, Turkish walnut, recoil pad. In fact this model was the only gun, that Brno factory never made any profit on. Its production was staggeringly expensive and required a small group of craftsmen to hand fit all those machined pieces together. Interestingly, Brno Arms was the largest small arms production in the world in early 60s, having about 10000 employees. Yet, only a few hundred of SxS were produced yearly. They are history now, Brno production buildings are empty and turned into warehouses. For those who wonder what designation Brno ZP149 means, it goes like this: Brno – city and manufacturer place in Czech republic, Z – zbrojovka (weaponry/ armament), P – Pavlicek (name of designer), 149 – first introduced in 1949.

Last edited by Gr8day; 01/15/10 12:17 AM.
Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks very much for the abundance of information. I owned a couple of these that were purchased in the late 70's. I'm looking at two now (one with ejectors and one with extractors)that are apparently dated in the mid fifties to early sixties according to my newly acquired education. I thought they were a good buy back then, but these older models have surprisingly sharp checkering as opposed to the flattened patterns that seemed to be the norm in the 70's. One of these seems to have lost a piece of filling at the muzzle where the rib is joined. Could a drop of solder in the cavity adequately fix this?

Jorge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,
Last night I located an old catalog from BRNO which was sent to me along with a letter from their sales manager at the time. He apologized that it was over 10 years old (in 1974) and a new one was scheduled to go to press. Had I found it sooner, I would have known that that ZP's were made, if not imported, earlier than the 70's. The "catalog" is more of a history of the company, but the ZP series is mentioned along with the various Model 98's etc. Thanks for the Cornell tip. I looked it up and it is definitely worth having. Do you recall the old C.L. Schindler that you helped me dissassemble back in September? I found a few markings and sent a letter off to the museum in Zella-Mehlis but have not received a reply. Would you mind if I forwarded it to you (or post it here) to see if you can make any sense of the few markings on the barrels? Thanks agains for your help on the BRNO's.
Best regards,
Jorge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jorge:
Any chance of posting the BRNO history? First, from what I've gleaned if your correspondence to the museums isn't in German, they pretty much blow it off. I could be wrong but this seems to be the case. Yes, go ahead and email me or a search should reveal the original thread and it could be posted there.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.