April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bbman3, RWG, LGF, eeb, Skeeterbd, 1 invisible), 1,070 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173251 01/06/10 08:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Below photos show a duplicator I have just completed a rebuild on. If there is any interest I will post some text to describe what is going on. And more photos.

No, I am not soliciting work. I only work on my personal stocks and guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't tell from the pictures if the stock being copied is a wooden one or something else. My question, if the stock being copied is wood is in injured in anyway? Does the pantograph (sp?) leave any marks?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stock being copied is a pattern, that was copied and modified from a Brno602 stock on a 375 H&H: Cheeck piece added, length of pull added and a little more drop. And I put in 3/8" cast off. This pattern stock has been painted with a high strength black polyurethane paint for a slick, tough surface for the stylus to run over.

The stock being carved will be another pattern stock, with a change to the grip: Grip lengthened and moved back, a few changes in the cheek piece, and more wood all around. This stock will be inletted for the Mauser actions. Actually, I have completed it and will make a longer post later today showing the details and an explanation of what I am doing. This wood is Maple, makes a good pattern wood as it is harder than walnut.

The stylus doesn't damage the wood in any way on the pattern, but will put rub marks in a nice oil finish.

If I am tracing an existing stock, I use a teflon stylus and wax the stock, this prevents marking. The butt plate/pad must be removed, and I screw a dowel down into the front of the barrel channel to have something for the front spindle of the duplicator to grab.

I have several barreled actions to stock, so I am making a pattern in each style that I need, with my dimensions. After the patterns are completed I will carve the final stocks. Most of the rifles are big bores, with sights, so the stocks will have the correct drop and cast off, and I will extend the grips back for the high recoil guns, this keeps from bruising the fingers behind the guard. Most big bore stocks are made incorrectly, especially factory stocks.

The advantage to owning a duplicator is I can change stock dimensions by the setup in the machine, cutter selection vs stylus size, and cutter depth setting. Opens up a whole new world in stockmaking!

When I ordered your book, this is why I asked you about stock dimensions. In a couple of weeks I will start on a 500 Jeffery, and I will be styling the stock very similar to Schuler's original stocks. And I plan on copying some of the stock lines in your book. I have Whelen's full scale drawing, so I will be making a stock to his dimensions also.

Last edited by Altamaha; 01/07/10 12:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Altamaha
Most big bore stocks are made incorrectly, especially factory stocks.

Amen, brother! Absolutely the worst of the rifles with great reps is the pre-64 M70 458. I've built some light 458s, lighter than the M70, but the first M70 458 I ever shot convinced me that it would also be the LAST! The 375 is almost as bad and the bolt knob smacks my big fat index finger 'cause my hand is crowded by the grip. BAH!

Thanks for the informative post!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yep, I had a M70 338 push feed with a tiny short pull stock. After 3 rounds, my trigger finger was cut by the bolt handle and I had a cut on my cheek from the cheek piece. Absolutely the worst stock design I had ever used!!! And the 338 does not have a lot of recoil.

I will have photos up later today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So stocks on big boomers should have a more open pistol grip so the hand can be to the rear and the index finger is stretched forward?

Have a picture of a proper grip?

Is this too short?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is a good one, nice grip. I like a little more distance on my stocks. The Original Schulers had the grip a little more to the rear and less curve. The photo stock also has some drop at the heel and comb. Probable has cast off if it was made by an experienced big bore guy.

The key is to fit the grip to the shooters hand. This is where a nice selection of pattern stocks is handy, just stick the barreled action in a stock and head to the range. Then back to the duplicator and make a few changes.

One of my ambitions is to build a big bore "try" stock so it may be adjusted at the range to fit the shooter. Then measure everything and start carving.

Last edited by Altamaha; 01/07/10 11:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to you for sharing your thoughts and experience on stocks and stock making.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a different model duplicator by the same manufacturer as yours. Do you have an email address you wouldn't mind sharing with me so we might carry on some more lengthy discussions off the bbs? You can respond directly to me at kinglarr@knology.net

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

here is one I ran today.....only my second and I can see this is going to be like most things in gunsmithing....it is going to take some practice to get good at.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.