March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Comment against the ban of lead in Montana sent, unless proven scientifically that it is a real problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the information listed in the first comment on this item, I cannot seem to find either the expanded information on the lead ban in the WMAs that is being proposed, nor can I find an area to comment in. Can someone lead me a bit ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

I noticed the proposal at the beginning of the opening page without any explanations or detailed plan. At the bottom they invite you to comment on the hunting season for 2010-2011 and that's where I left my opinion in the space dedicated for upland bird hunting. It might just go down the drain, but could not find any other area to leave my comments.
Serban

Last edited by Sliver; 01/04/10 04:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Comments sent (as Sliver described).

A similar ban was proposed and then dropped in MN a year or so ago. I believe due to a whole bunch of us writing and politely pointing out the facts (or lack there of).

Bryan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Minnesota is an interesting case. Their own "Nontoxic Shot Advisory Committee" states, in their report:

"The issues are extremely complex and conclusive data on wildlife populations is laking. Furthermore, it is unlikely that conclusive data can ever be obtained due to the cost of this type of research."

Translation: We don't have the scientific data and aren't going to have it, but we support additional lead shot restrictions anyhow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I talked to Larry Copenhaver, Local Issues Director, Montana Wildlife Federation today. For those of you who want to stay informed on this issue, I suggest you visit their website http://www.montanawildlife.org and get on their mailing list. Or, contact Larry directly lcopenhaver@mtwf.org Those of you who want to keep "drooling on your keyboards" impressing the rest of us with your knowledge, may do so.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

IMHO, the communication method for public comments having the greatest effect is a well written letter mailed to the department with copies to the members of the fish and game commission. FYI, here's the link to the webpage which lists the current members of the MT FWP Commission: http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/insideFwp/commission/members.html

This link http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/oppForPubCommentUGB.html takes the reader to the web page containing the proposed changes to the UGB hunting regulations.

The proposed regulation reads:
Quote:
Statewide

Non-toxic shot for all game bird hunting on all WMAs

That's all of the information FWP gave out to the public via their website. Go to the end of this posting to read some information I copied from an internal FWP document related directly to their lead shot ban proposal.

At the bottom of the UBG proposal web page is a link to FWP's public comment survey hosted on the SurveyMonkey website. That link is found under the section labeled
Quote:
Opportunity for Public Comment
with this text below:
Quote:
Click here to comment on this and other hunting season proposals.
The FWP link to the survey monkey website is colored in red; here's that survey link directly: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N2CCH9R

Once at the survey monkey page, scroll down to box/question number 15 to leave your comments on the proposed UGB regs. But what's really important is the number of comments submitted; more is better - no matter what the transmission method.

If you want more information about the lead ban, aka non-toxic proposal, ask FWP for their two page document entitled
Quote:
HUNTING SEASON / QUOTA CHANGE SUPPORTING INFORMATION
for Upland Game Birds. In it, there are four items/points discussed. Here are a couple for you to contemplate:

Quote:
2. Why is the proposed change necessary?

Lead poisoning via ingestion of lead pellets has long been associated with waterfowl mortality. Recently, this awareness has been expanded to other concentrations of lead to include traditional mourning dove hunting sites. As many of the state's WMAs have little or no waterfowl habitats & hunting opportunities and/or minimal upland game bird hunting, this proposal represents a programmatic approach to further limit the use and presence of lead shot on the landscape. Arguably for some specific WMAs with extremely limited (or no) consistent shotgun/upland bird hunting use, this proposal is as much or more about programmatic message and general intent as it is about specific resource protection or management need.

And another one:

Quote:
3. Provide information related to any weather/habitat factors that have relevance to this change (i.e., habitat security, hunter access, vegetation surveys, weather index, snow conditions, temperature / precipitation information).

Again, many WMAs have little to no waterfowl presence and/or upland game bird hunting. This requirement would require even very low density grouse hunters to use non-toxic shot on WMAs. Lead presence and accumulation under extremely low levels of lead shot shell use has not been established as a significant environmental concern.

Relative to lead, non-toxic shot often has less local market availability of smaller shot sizes and can certainly be more expensive than lead shot. Given the traditional use of smaller shot sizes for mourning dove, partridge and some grouse, it is not clear how or if hunting participation will decline as it did when steel shot was required for waterfowl hunters. Additionally, comparative comprehensive investigations of lead vs. non-toxic lethality on upland game birds have not been conducted as they have for waterfowl.

Folks, those words come straight out of an internal MT FWP document, which I believe was written for department management and their oversight commission.

Finally, in case anyone is interested, here's a link http://fwp.mt.gov/habitat/wma.html on the MT FWP website to a page showing all of the state WMAs in MT. Each one of the dots/WMA names shown on the map is *clickable* and will take the reader to a page of information (e.g., acreage, huntable species, etc.) about each specific WMA.

Remember, comments that are calm, rational and reasoned are much more effective than loud, obnoxious rantings. Please take time to comment, and IMHO, comments from non-resident hunters count just as much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if a lead shot ban would'nt have a greater effect on Motels, Restruants, and out of state sales than it ever could on birds. Don Hardin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my comment.

"There is no data to support a ban of lead shot. With a little research you will find there was no real data to support a ban of lead shot anywhere."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MT_DD_FAN

Lead presence and accumulation under extremely low levels of lead shot shell use has not been established as a significant environmental concern.

Sounds a lot like the MN Nontoxic Shot Advisory Committee. No proof that lead shot for upland game is a problem, but we're going to restrict it anyhow. I guess that passes for "good science", if what you're doing happens to be politically correct. And anything anti-lead is PC.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.