March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (mel5141, Jimmy W, Mike Harrell, fallschirmjaeger, Argo44, 1 invisible), 853 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172941 01/04/10 11:51 PM
4125670 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a 16 gauge sxs double barrel made by Franz Kettner it is a very light gun with engraving and it has places for a sling it has a monte carlo stock and every screw is engraved also serial num is 21525 its on about every piece of the gun will put some pics of it on here tommorow would like some history about the maker michael4125670

Sidelock
Sidelock

How much do you want to read or do you want just the highlights and info about your example?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

4125670 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

well I love to read so give me what you can and I greatly apprecate it ty michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eduard Kettner retailed out of Cologne(Koln) and claimed a shop in Suhl, which I think to believe just an office to source the craftsmen of Suhl. Some sources give that businessman Franz Otto Julius Kettner founded Eduard Kettner with the business man Eduard Kettner being Franz Otto Julius Kettner's father. Any way it was founded in 1884 I think with Franz Kettner, a 1st cousing, being the master gunsmith. There was some friction, maybe Eduard the business many wanted to field test and peddle the examples while master gunsmith Franz did all the work, so master gunsmith Franz Kettner left to fun his own business. Eduard Kettner was a vendor that offered about anything needed by a hunter. In 1925 the Dornheim Company absorbed Eduard Kettner.

4125670:

Numeric are we? I haven't forgotten about you but haven't taken the time to compose the info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi Raimey,

Was wondering if you recall the information that you sent me and the pics of my Franz Kettner S&S 16. Sounds as though it could be another example of his work. Although mine is only a 4 digit serial number. Description sounds the similar.

(4125670):

Can you post some pictures please?

Kind Regards,
Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob:

To be honest I don't remember it right off as I look at so many but if you can give me a date I most likely can retrieve them and post a few.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Raimey,

I e-mailed the pics to you on 10-28-09 through 11-4-09.

Kind Regards,
Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob:

I now remember it and have found the pics.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank you Raimey.

Michael,(4125670)

Any similarities to your example and this?

Kind Regards,
Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Franz Kettner for whom the Frank Kettner gunshop in Köln was named was born in 1808 and more than likely became a master gunsmith in 1834 as he founded the business on May 15th 1835. His walk-about must have taken him to distant master gunsmiths and that was what added a few years to the typical time for a gunsmith to acquire their master sheepskin. His father, Karl Franz Josef Kettner, was a top/head forester and his brother was businessman Eduard Kettner and he was born 3 years after Franz in 1811. Master gunsmith Franz Kettner had a son named Franz Kettner as well as a grandson named Franz Kettner and the next master gunsmith heir was named Eduard Franz Kettner who was born 100 years after Franz Kettner in 1908, more than likely became a master gunsmith during tough times circa 1932 and expired in 2006. I’m sure each and all passed thru several of the Suhl gunsmith shops on their respective walkabouts. Franz Otto Julius Kettner, son of Eduard Kettner and nephew of Franz Kettner, was only listed as a businessman as I can find, but Axel Pantermühl of Germany and contributor/member of the GGCA( http://www.germanguns.com ) notes that Franz Otto Julius Kettner worked a stint at Christan Sturm, who I would guess to be the son of Wolfgang Heinrich Sturm(Daniel Sturm was also a master) who didn’t Ghee-Haw with Sauer in the mid 1830s and it may have been the fact that Sauer & Ferdinand Spangenberg had buddied up but by the time Franz Otto Julius Kettner was born in 1852 Sauer & Sturm had had some sort of “come to Jesus” meeting and resolved their differences. I’d guess the time period to be in the 1870s and Franz Otto Julius Kettner may have also worked at the Sauer facility, as well as others in Suhl. July 23rd of 1884 witnessed the founding of the Eduard Kettner firm and there had to be a master gunsmith on staff and it may have been one of the Franz Kettners because some family centered dispute led to stiff competition between the Kettner klan of Köln. Eduard Kettner advertised as Gewehrfabrik in Köln a. Rh.(on Rhine River) und Suhl i.(in) Th.(Thuringia) which is sort of deceiving as Suhl was sourced, many times it was Bernhard Merkel( I think him to be a huge filed frame or example in the white source for almost all non-Suhl retailers) as well as the Sturm folks, who was also sourced by Franz Kettner and during WWI in 1916 Sturm’s widow was managing the company and taking orders. I’ve wondered for some time with the rules/guidelines of the gun maker’s guild if widow’s were allowed to continue their husband’s business without their being a master gunsmith on staff. This seems to be the case. Anyway, about 1920, Franz Kettner absorbed/purchased Sturm’s widow’s firm and expanded and the firm employed the following craftsmen:
½ dozen actioners, a couple of engravers(this is the main difference in Eduard & Franz Kettner examples) and a few less than a ½ dozen stockers. 5 years later Eduard Kettner sold his business to Dornheim and the bombing on June 30th, 1943 pretty much leveled everything sending Franz to Suhl for the remainder of the war. Post WWII he had a small shop and supplied examples to BuHaG. In 1971 Kettner heirs began opening stores with Hemer followed by Ratingen, Hamburg, Münster, Oldenburg and later Vienna. I think Kettner went under but someone has started anew. By the way the use/re-use of the same first name is what really complicates retracing the history of gunmakers.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.