May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Tom Shaffer, LeFusil, R Reynolds), 583 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,415
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17211 12/28/06 09:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Uggie 3" 12 ga that I picked up to turn into a duck gun. It has f/m chokes that I'm having opened to ic/m and a chekered butt that I will have cut and a nice recoil pad added - I'll also install slings. That said, the gun is still a light weight, probably under 7lbs but close to it. My question is that I have looked at a Fabarms Classic lion, also st stock, dt, but a tad over 7 lbs, choke tubes . . . would this be a better candidate? I load bismuth so the choke issue is no problem. Is the Uggie strong enough?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need at least one full choked barrel to be a standard fare fowler. Why go to a gamegun set-up?

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 12/28/06 09:44 PM.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay . . .makes sense. I generally shoot ducks over decoys - so, my citori is left with the ic.m chokes in,

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you load your own, then the Uggie is strong enuff - as you can keep the pressure down if you think it should be to be on the safe side.
Over the last year, or so, I've bought two Philly Foxes for ducks. I wanted the traditional M/F chokes in both guns. I wish I'd load my own.
Sounds like it'll be a grand ducker!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, Not to be a smart-aleck, honestly, but what is to keep you from starting to load your own?
Curtis

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a PW for loading bismuth - works great. Also load some great7/8 once lead for practice.

How much do the Fox's weigh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They're both 12s, an AE with 28" barrels and a Sterlingworth with 30" barrels - no idea, but will give them a weight tonite.
I'm having a friend who reloads concoct some low pressure fowlers for me in the meantime.
Maybe next year I'll give it a go eh!

I have regularly shot 3 inch #4 Bismuth in my Model 30. Micheal Orlen did the chambers and forcing cones. I added a Pachmeyer Old English pad. Great gun for teal, wood ducks, and divers. It has worked for mallards as well. I would use it more if it had sling swivels. I can't seem to be able to teach my Lab not to shake off in the presence of my Parker.

"No man's property is safe when the Legislature is in session." NY Supreme Court
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great - thanksfor the feedback. I'm going to install swivels for next season.

Setter1, I actually have both a 3" Ugartechea and a Fabarm Classic Lion that I bought with similar thoughts in mind. My personal opinion is that the Fabarm Classic Lion looks like it is built extremely stout and would be a good choice for digesting heavy over the counter waterfowl loads like 3" magnum steel shot, and the barrels and chokes should handle those loads without any problems. My Ugartechea is built like a game gun even though it has 3" chambers, weighing 6.5 lbs., and I don't think I would like to fire the big magnums through it. I also wouldn't fire steel shot through mine without at least opening up its tight chokes. My Classic Lion weighs 8 or 9 oz. more. The only problem with the Classic Lion is that it is much prettier than the Uggie, and I hesitate to take it into the field.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.