April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (80dubya, Hammergun, ClapperZapper, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 410 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,215
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Print Thread
#171234 12/23/09 10:10 AM
Imatger Offline OP
OP Offline

Any info on this gunmaker would be appreciated. I have a 16ga. boxlock built by or for him. Would like to know their history.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

George Gale established his firm in 1869 at 6 Joy Street, Barnstaple, Devonshire.
In the mid-1870s he moved to 20 Joy Street. He died in the mid-1880s and the firm traded as Annie Gale (presumably his wife) until about 1904.

In about 1905 the firm's name changed to Edward Gale (son?). Reportedly, Edward Gale was apprenticed with James Purdey.

The firm is known to have bought guns at this time from Birmingham (Midland Gun Co) and London makers.

Between about 1936 and 1938 the firm was re-named Edward Gale & Son, and by 1948 it was named E Gale & Son Ltd. The directors were G E Gale and E Gale.

In the early 1970s the company moved to 59 High Street, and in 1984 they moved to 2-3 Mill Street.

Increasingly, the firm became a sports shop also selling games and toys, and reportedly by 1988 they had ceased trading in guns and were selling men's clothing, but the firm only closed in the mid-1990s.

As E Gale & Sons (Ltd), the firm sold cartridges under the names "The Flag", "The Field", "The County" and "The X L".

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Hinton from the same part of the country. Bought it from Cape Outfitters, and it came in a Gale hardcase. Later on, a friend of mine had a Gale 12 bore BLNE. Unfortunately, by then I no longer had the Gale case.

Imatger, I'd guess that the gun was actually built in Birmingham for Gale, or perhaps finished by Gale. That's the case with most of those provincial "gunmakers".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish I had some Devonshire cream for my tea this snowy afternoon!

Craig

Imatger Offline OP
OP Offline

Larry, The gun was imported from John Powell Gunmakers to British Game Guns in Kent Wa in 1993. I bought it from a man in Texas in 2005. A member on the 16 ga. board knew Dale Tate, who co-owned
BGG and confirmed it. I thought it was most likely a "trade gun"
because of so few E.Gale's around. I would really love to know who really made it.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Imatger have you got some pictures I would like to see the gun Pete m is spot on with the info, I live in the town where gales had their shop and new them well my grandfather finished their barrels for years I have seen many gale guns but only one Anie Gale, one of the family is still around in the area and I am in the process of making contact with them, hopefully the records may still be around I will update when I get more info Hinton I think was in the taunton or exeter area and the guns were simmilar to gales, its about an hour from here, you do also see muzzle loaders with the Hinton name on in fact I believe one was listed on guntrader

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a Beesley overunder, one of two, which was the actual first Beesley overunder [pre shotover] started in 1911 or so. It was so expensive to make and finish and was eventually sold to an American in 1921 or so at way over the price of a new Purdey. The second of these two guns was eventually finished up by Gale about two decades later. They must have been good gunsmiths.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an E. Gale 12 Ga 2" BLE. Nice gun.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.