April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, CJ Dawe, SKB), 1,011 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabelas did send some pics of the underside of the tubes but I don't think they are worth posting.

1889 - Outing, Vol. 13 Daly Advert.(page xxx): http://books.google.com/books?id=1BugAAA...;q=&f=false

Recreation - 1906

“Messrs. Schoverling, Daly & Gales write to us as follows: “Charles Daly hammerless shotguns are a high-grade hand-made gun and are made in our Suhl factory, where Daly guns exclusively have been made for the past thirty-five years. Sauer hammerless shotguns, Sauer-Mauser rifles, Charles Daly three-barrel hammer and hammerless guns and combined shot and rifle are all made in the Factory of Messrs. J.P. Sauer & Son, Suhl, Germany. The Daly three-barrel shotgun and rifle has always been made by them under contract for Charles Daly, in later years has borne the name of both concerns.”
(The last sentence is interesting)

The following quotes are out of a 1907 S,D&G catalogue:

"Charles Daly Guns have the genuine Anson & Deely System action, Charles Daly pattern, which means that the frame is one inch longer than the regular Anson & Deeley frame, making the leverage greater; this, with the fine fitting accounts for Daly Guns seldom shaking loose."

"Charles Daly Diamond Quality Guns. Grades 500, 375, 325, 275, 225 Are made by artisans who have for years worked exclusively on "Diamond Quality." As it takes from six months to a year to finish one of these guns, it can be readily seen what great care is taken in their production."

"Sauer Hammerless Guns Are made with Anson & Deeley system locks, but with an inch longer frame, which makes the leverage greater. The lock parts are highly finished and the fitting is simply perfect."(Mr. Cate notes on page 283 of his text: "Note: It was about 1902 or early 1903 when Sauer introduced a true Anson & Deeley hammerless action." Where Daly was offering an Anson & Deeley verions(1" longer frame????) in 1889( http://books.google.com/books?id=lLzQAAA...889&f=false with Daly advert on page xxx )????

I've read it before but it didn't really sink in, but I'm sure S,D&G invested pretty heavily into Heinrich August Lindner's venture and this is the shop that they refer to as "our Suhl Factory." There's another reference regarding the boring of their tubes being at the same factory and the advert uses terms that one would see in a Sauer Advert.

1902 Recreation - http://books.google.com/books?id=lPAXAAA...;q=&f=false

"Barrels of Krupp Genuine Fluid Steel. Barrels equal to or better than used in many guns costing 3 times as much. Bored on the same system that has made the Daly Gun renowned for its wonderful shooting qualities."

Apparently the Diamond Quality reached all the way down to the Model 225 and early on the Lindner's could have made these in their own shop from sourced components or finished them in their own shop. But if production numbers were near 100 longarms per year, and seeing who connected S,D&G and Sauer were, it only seems fit that Heinrich August Lindner had to spend some time at the Sauer plant. In my mind all the quality references in the S,D&G adverts points solely to the ability of Heinrich August Lindner. Also I'm curious if the "Charles Daly Pattern" was a joint venture of Georg/Heinrich August Lindner and Charles Daly?

Anyone guess the country of origin of the Charles Daly "Extra Close and Hard Shooting guaranteed for 12.00 extra" in this 1874 advert: http://books.google.com/books?id=8DwZAAA...;q=&f=false ???

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

My WM Schaefer barrels and my Lindner Daly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb87:

Thanks for the post. Interesting stamp of "HAL 352". There's little doubt in my mind that Henirch August Lindner fitted the tubes to the action on this one. Also your post may give some insight into that additional number seen on Lindner Daly doubles, if the "352" isn't the serial number. Are the initials "A.S." on the opposite side on both sets of tubes?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the pics of the Cabela's Sauer Model 8(not Model 1 Daly?) Daly #133766 which I guess to be circa 1912:

There looks to be the initials of a script "L.L." under the left tube near the serail number and "295 C".

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leon Leclercq used LL. However, I never recall seeing script being used.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

For now I can only think of Ludwig Langebarthel, but I think him to be long expired by 1912, but I guess there's still a chance.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reb 87, the similaity of engraving on our two Lindner made guns is incredible, yet there are subtle differences. I do believe the engraver cut these guns freehand. Notice a little bit of the gold wash remains on the engraving near the hinge pin. The serial number on mine is 3624.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
Could you show a pic of your stock? Ive always thought mine was restocked because the checkering on the grip didnt match the quality of the rest of the gun. I never really liked the big game on the bottom either, birds would be better but the guns are stunning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the only one I have loaded right now. It does seem strange that yours does not have drop points behind the side panels or the horn grip cap that all of the ones I've seen have.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 10/04/09 10:30 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you believe the text on the top rib here, http://www.bobjonesguns.com/details.asp?id=C4510S , not only did Charles Daly make Damascus tubes in his Suhl factory, but also Krupp steel tubes. I'm curious though how many Lindner Daly's have the "Charles Daly Krupp Fluid Steel" stamp?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.