April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (buckstix, mel5141, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,002 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170614 12/17/09 02:53 AM
OP Offline

Does anyone know anything about this maker? It has Galand Paris on the rib in gold. The barrels are from Holland and marked with Haarlem S. Gravenkage - Amsterdam on the left barrel and N. V. Nederlandsch Wapen Magazijn on the right (Netherlands Armory?) and under that is V.h. S. de Jaeger

It has Belgian proof marks, premilinary black powder on the barrel and black powder proof and nitro proof and acier seiemens marten (open hearth steel). It is nitro proofed at 1 kg 488. The receiver is color case hardened and about 90+% remaining, it has fine engraving and in perfect condition. The triggers were replaced with a single Miller Trigger.

Last edited by Chic Worthing; 12/17/09 02:57 AM.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may have seen this already, but:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52159

Sidelock
Sidelock

Galand made some top of the line shotgun before WWI. Charles-Francois 1869-1920 was best known for his pistols, especially the very popular Velodog. He held 11 patents. His son Rene Charles took over business. He held 4 patents of his own. He ran the business until 1942. These dates are in question. Every source I have varies with different dating for them.

Galand guns won many expositions through out Europe in the early 1900's. He was respected enough that he sat on at least 1 jury to judge the entrants guns.

I seem to remember in my research that Galand had something to with the establishment of the gunmaking school in Liege.

I have a copy of a Rene Galand catalog circa 1910-1914.

Here is another I found.
http://www.prices4antiques.com/firearms-...nts-B174276.htm

This is from LittleGun, but you must remember Alain is a pistol collector who also documents other Belgian makers.
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20g/a%20galand%20gb.htm

Pete

PeteM #170648 12/17/09 11:59 AM
OP Offline

Craigster, I saw that last night in fact I bought it from Mike Caulkins who posted that on the firearms forum. We shoot together at a local club.

Mine is a box lock but it has some similarities to the sidelock in the photo. The sculpted portion of the barrel where it abuts the face of the receiver and the bottom is identical.
I will try to get some time to post some photos on here this weekend. My day is pretty full right now but thanks for all the information. What really surprised me is the condition of this gun. The stock has been altered with the adition of a Pachmyr pad and it was done incorrectly, they took most of the pitch out of the stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Chic, didn't know you were here at this forum, ever check the rifle section?

best, Rob Di Stasio

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking forward to more pics!

OP Offline

Hi Rob, I have been here for 5 years and made 5 posts. Pretty gabby.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Haarlem S. Gravenhage(The Hague??-I think I recall the Hague and Amsterdam trade the title of the capital every few years???) appears to be in the vicinity of Amsterdam and as noted the N. V. Nederlandsch Wapen Magazijn V.h. S. de Jaeger is something akin to a state run or nationalized arsenal/wearhouse(distributor??). I think the double was sourced from Liege with the name roll stamped on it. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but if someone has a copy or purchases a copy/original of http://www.antiqbook.nl/boox/steu/29792.shtml , I’d like to know what is in it. But at any rate I don’t think the tubes were made in Holland and for now without seeing some tube stamps, it could have been Liege or Germany, as in Berlin in 1847 Werner Von Siemens founded his firm and then in the mid 1860s Frenchman Pierre Emile Martin added his contribution of heating the intake to the process. To me “open hearth process” sounds like a bunch of indigenous fellas sitting around the fire watching the smoke rise. I think I can locate and post a pic of a depiction of the Siemens-Martin process. I’m leaning hard toward the fact that the name of the tube steel literally has nothing to do with location but rather a composition or recipe. Therefore, if a steel manufacture had a license to produce as well as the composition/recipe, the steel could be made just about in any country.

As posted, Charles Francois Galand was a Paris gunsmith and capitalized on the bicycle craze on the late 1800s and early 1900s. I guess the phrase “if you can’t beat them join ‘em” was put into action in the production of the Velo-Dog revolver, which was a compact/light firearm centered around the cyclist. The term possibly originated in France and the target group was the cyclist for use in dog neutralizing, or other animals posing a threat. It was the Browing Automatic Pistol that led to the demise of the ole Velo Dog.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.