April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (susjwp, SKB, Lloyd3, Argo44), 1,083 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,698
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mschoes Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Learning the values of this german gun. Would like your opinions and expertise.

Make: Sauer and Sohn 3 barrel gun with hammers.

Looks like your 'drilling' two side by side 16 guage smooth bore shot gun barrels with one more rifled barrel underneath. Individual triggers below for each 16 guage and a switch to allow rifled barrel to be shot. It has two flip up sights on top. seems one is for farther distance shooting, and when you flip it down, the second one is shorter for close range shooting.

Has articulate marks on the stock, with a thin grip handle, and a cheek support on the stock. It is found under US patent 505006 (1893), but has patents from England, duetchland and 3 other countries.

This gun is in solid condition, some usage scratches on the stock, iron is faded blued, but otherwise in perfect working condition. I could take this gun and shoot it today as solid condition as any good working gun from the 70s.

Could you tell me more about this gun ? Possibly a value range ? How many made?

Thanks you in advance, Mike

I could possible share pictures. This 3 gun barrel company gun I found on line is a gun very similar to the one I have, except mine is german made and stamped with many german markings:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=514256

Last edited by mschoes; 11/27/09 01:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 505006 Patent is an expensive means of attaching the tubes. Sounds like a Model XIX. Send me some pics and I'll post them. I'm out of town at the moment, attempt to retrieve info at a distance and away from my source material, but the patent was valid for 15 years and that would narrow the date. Also it should have a Sauer serial number which would even more narrow the date.

Seeing it is a hammergun values range from $1000 to say $2200, possibly more depending on rifle calibre. I'm curious if it has sling swivels and is a Daly or VL&D import. Any idea of the calibre(38-55/0.30-30)?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

mschoes Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

raimey ! thanks for jumping right in, I just updated the post - yes it has hammers for the top two barrels, I do not know the rifling on the bottom barrel. I will get the serial # next time I visit, but the elegant lever to break it open seems pre 1900.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So are you saying it is a sidelever? I think they made those examples post WWI. The top lever should be a selector between ball and shot. The bore diameter may be stamped on the underside of the rifled tube.

It is similar to either one of these:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=86671
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148209437

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

mschoes Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I do owe you some homework. You have a pic of the same type of gun, so we are now in the same row of the same ball park (so to say). The hammers, switches triggers, stocks are the same. I do not have any of the markings shown such as the empire crown, nor the numbered stampings. These all seem to point to pre-1890s law where the stamps were not required ? Could that be ?

It does not have the flip up sight behind the barrels, but does have two small flip up sights forward in the middle of the two barrels - seemingly for two distances, the forward dovetail is just taller than the rearward, they open and close toward each other like farm cellar doors (sorry to be so primative in my description.

Also the stock has the cheek rest same as your first thread, except it does not have any engraving for Charles Daly. However as you travel down that thread, Finn Collector posted two guns, and the one he has for the grman market, 16 X 16 X 11.5 seems closest, yet I just cannot remember the flip up sight on the stock !! Also - my great grandfather has kept it clean, and there is nooo pitting or goldish iron, its all silver or blue. Would you need more info, or is this putting us closer ?

Last edited by mschoes; 11/27/09 02:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

mschoes, the hammers are for all three barrels. When you top lever selects the rifle barrel, the right hammer will fire the rifle barrel. My Sauer drilling of the same type is serial number 118,117 and the rifle barrel seems to be 11.15X65. I don't know how to get brass, but 2 1/2" .410 shotshells work just fine and make for a three shot shotgun for hunting birds. The shallow rifling does not seem to affect the pattern too much. When a bird gets up close, the .410 barrel is shot, followed by the left 16 gauge barrel. If birds are still getting up, the top lever is quickly pushed back to the middle position while the right hammer is recocked and the remaining 16 gauge barrel is fired. It really is easier done than explained.

mschoes Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

absolutely as I thought it would be fired ! This one is set up for a left hand trigger, meaning, the forward trigger is on the RH side, so the left finger fires it first, falls back to the LH trigger. Seems difficult to fire RH but so simple LHed

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mschoes
I do not have any of the markings shown such as the empire crown, nor the numbered stampings. These all seem to point to pre-1890s law where the stamps were not required ? Could that be ?

Very easily could be and fret not that it doesn't have post 1891 German proofhouse marks. If it has a cheekpiece, much like Eightbore's, I'd guess it to be an 11mm variant. 11mm ammo isn't too difficult to locate and I think some folks are use 405 brass as a starter. I'm searching for some 11mm answers and have some 11mm Mann. that might just work also.

If the right tube trigger is of the French stecher variety, you can press if forward and it will set.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine does not have a set trigger.

mschoes Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

so based on what we have talked about, if pre 1900, does this value fall in the $2000 - $3000 or the $4000 $5000 range ? Guesstimate as I look to retrieve the ssn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.