March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#167831 11/19/09 01:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was my first time go at this event. Met up with a couple other desperados from here to have a go at it collectively.

Certainly big. I'd be guessing that if you took the defunct Great Western and deleted all the non-gun stuff that you pretty much end up with Tulsa. Impressive that way for sure.
I was surprised at the general lack of crowds. The parking, entry line, aisles, etc, were notable for lack of bodies. After the better part of the first day I decided that it could be that most "buyers" weren't gonna pay the stupid prices and just didn't bother to show up. Not that there were not deals there, I did see a couple go down, but far and away the gross majority of sellers were in Fantasy Land with the prices. So much so tht I only inquired about three guns, and even they were so overpriced that I didn't bother trying to deal from so far a distance. Fortunately I was not at a "need" level on any of them. I mean, if I'm looking for something special and there are over a hundred of them at a single show, why do the dealers think top bluebook+ is a price that is gonna sell??? The folks I observed carrying guns all had the look of wanting to off what they had, not the proud new owner glow. But I could be wrong of course.
The disappointing thing to me was the overall lack of variety. This was something on the order of the monthly local gunshow x 20. That is to say, mostly not exciting.
Fortunately I had some really excellent company to socialize with. Def made the trip a worthy go.

So I'm sorta planning on the Vegas show to maybe fill a want that I have. At least its Vegas if nothing else happens hahaha

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

The lack of a crowd was due in large part to the fact that a large % of gun show people also hunt. It was opening day for deer in MO, OK, IN (where I'm from), KY (where some friends that were going to go are from), NM (I think), not to mention opening of Bird Season in many of the same places. I wish it were in October again, or at least like last year the weekend BEFORE all the hunting comes in.

I thought the show was a good time, but the worst I ever had was pretty good!

bsteele #167843 11/19/09 04:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually Deer (gun) opens in Oklahoma this weekend.But I did have a lot of buddies out of state for other hunts. Probably the smallest crowds I've ever seen. I can honestly say there was not anything I was tempted to buy (except some beef jerky) I saw no one carrying anything of interest. Dealer prices were STOOPID as usual.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bryndon, Caught you in the open. You emailed me eons ago and anything I sent came back undeliverable??? I'm off in a couple minutes for ND to see if the dogs can chase up a bird or two. Upland and waterfowl in my area the worst I've seen. Dogs put up two grouse all fall. Be back in a week or shorter if the birds out there are as lean as everyone says. Like to hear some exciting reports on your hunting this fall. I think your last note was at the start of dove. Randy

RMC
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bryndon, Caught you in the open. You emailed me eons ago and anything I sent came back undeliverable??? I'm off in a couple minutes for ND to see if the dogs can chase up a bird or two. Upland and waterfowl in my area the worst I've seen. Dogs put up two grouse all fall. Be back in a week or shorter if the birds out there are as lean as everyone says. Like to hear some exciting reports on your hunting this fall. I think your last note was at the start of dove. Randy

RMC
RMC #167863 11/19/09 07:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gosh, I guess it's "different strokes for different folks". I thought there were a number of interesting guns at the show. Saw a very high condition Horsley on the lower level that anyone would have been proud to own. And then the little W&C Scott Monte Carlo B that could easily be a favorite bird gun. And on and on. I bought a very high condition W.W. Greener 'Self-acting Striker' hammer gun that is as close to mint original as we'll ever find in this lifetime--and it was made in the late 1860's. Jones underlever and nonretracting hammers. Picture to come before long.

I agree the crowd was the smallest I've ever seen but from a buyers standpoint that made it pleasant. And the aisles were wider than in the past.

I'm sure I missed a lot of neat stuff--I never got around to seeing all the tables.

And best of all, there were a lot of interesting folks to visit with!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Joe Wood #167868 11/19/09 08:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe-

What was the story with the Scott & the Horsley? Who had them?

And lets see the Greener! Sounds neat.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

A dealer friend (mainly Colts & Winchesters)( did Tulsa and sold very well. It was the same weekend as Reno. Two very different shows. Reno is a great buying show and dealers are the main buyers. Tulsa is a selling show and few dealers buying.

My selling at Reno was mainly gun stock blanks and spare ammo.

Pete #167896 11/20/09 12:38 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Wonko the Sane!! My gosh dude. How the heck have you been? Hope things are going well for you. Hope to hear from you more often. Best wishes.

Jimmy W #167902 11/20/09 01:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ill second Jimmy - glad to see you Wonko.

Have you perchance heard from Tex?

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.