May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, Guy Ave, gil russell, Hugh Lomas, 2 invisible), 685 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,491
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks guys for all the responses! Being fairly new to doubles, I'm intrigued by the Darnes and Ljutic since these names are new to me. I guess my question should have been; if you were tasked with building and machining the strongest, most durable, action/frame for full power 3" 12ga loads, what existing model would you base your design off of? "Best" was the wrong word since that's a really subjective term and probably based on more factors than just strength. If you guys have pictures of any of these please post or feel free to email directly to me, sd.lister at hot mail.

Thanks again!

Last edited by lister1911; 10/27/09 01:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:

That's one of those - "If I only had the chance to do it over again" deals. I've got a few of those also.

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are lots of great actions that can handle such a load. I don't know how many people will agree with me but a simple underlug action with a Greener Crossbolt is the route I'd take.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

L1911,

Here is an article on Darne.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, good to know, just in case one pops up in these whereabouts at a lowly price.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Lister 1911:

I can remember reading in the early 60's that P.O. Ackley claimed that the Winchester 97 was the only shotgun that he would consider for a rifle cartridge. I think that he did indeed make up some 97's chambered for rifle cartridges at the time and they worked quite well. I always took what he said with a grain of salt!

Perhaps others may recall of him making this statement.

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would expect any well designed multiple lockup system, using modern strong alloy steels and oversize locking surfaces to hold up well. Oversize hinge pin, cross bolt, and underlug would seem plenty. Modern Merkels would seem to be good choice. Only "problems" I see with my 100 or so year old hammer doubles is the "soft", low-C steels they are made of, as well as, sometimes smaller locking surfaces than might be desirable.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the answer to lister1911's questions may be moot in practical application. The "best" to one person may be a ill fit to another that shoots for different reasons. For example: a Ljutic or Perazzi target gun of heavy weight would be a terrible chukar/quail gun. The reverse: A H&H or Purdey light game gun worth a couple hundred thousand dollars would be a bad choice for most target shooting applications that consume hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Once again, more evidence that many guns are needed (by me anyway). I'll tell my wife again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lister1911
Thanks guys for all the responses! Being fairly new to doubles, I'm intrigued by the Darnes and Ljutic since these names are new to me. I guess my question should have been; if you were tasked with building and machining the strongest, most durable, action/frame for full power 3" 12ga loads, what existing model would you base your design off of? "Best" was the wrong word since that's a really subjective term and probably based on more factors than just strength. If you guys have pictures of any of these please post or feel free to email directly to me, sd.lister at hot mail.

Thanks again!

We can only learn if we ask questions.

Strength is a relative issue in this case. You can build for strength, eg will survive 5x a proof load, or you can build for reliability, eg can go for 100,000 rounds without any parts wearing breaking. So often these discussions focus on one or the other. A truly good gun is a comprise that hopefully takes strength and reliability into account.

I am happy with a monobloc and greener cross bolt. Are there better designs around? Yes, but I will never need them.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall Roy Dunlap in his book "Gunsmithing" saying the 97 Win was strong enough to handle a .30-06. P O Ackley may have said something very similar, Dunlap just happens to be the one I read.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.