May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,753
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was French company Monoblock and at Intl. Gun Show in Paris in 1900 this company show double barrels made from one piece of metal. Author of this article noted, that these barrels been known since 1880.

Geno.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Production costs also come strongly to mind as well as the Wt problem Don mentioned. There would of course be several areas where un-needed metal would have to be left which would add useless wt as Don suggested, but machining costs would be astronomicl in comparsion to conventional methods. Just not much of a way to run a Railroad.

I don't understand where the extra weight would come from? A modern multi-axis machine can contour a solid billet to match the external appearance of a conventional double. And running a machine for a production run is cheap compared to extensive handfitting.

Originally Posted By: eightbore
A double shotgun barrel is not neccesarily straight. It needs to be adjusted a bit for both barrels to shoot to point of aim. It would be nearly impossible to do this if the holes were drilled in a piece of steel that includes all the parts you mention. Yes, it is being done, but not neccesarily successfully.

I thought the whole reason for regulating doubles was because the barrels were two separate units? I would think that precision machining both bores in near perfect alignment relative to each other would allow a simple CAD operation to determine the appropriate angle each needs to be for a given convergence point?

Please keep in mind my ignorance when it comes to double guns (not machining--much experience there) so be gentle! I have no idea how double gun barrels are joined so I'm guessing when some of you refer to weight that there must be hollow sections under the ribs and between the barrels?

Thanks to all of you for participating and taking time to answer the crazy questions of a novice!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Solid, Solid[ One-piece double barrels] are not a new inovation!In 1870 the Joseph Whitworth Company, the foremost U.K. mechanic of the day, was issued a patent covering one-piece barrels!Examples of these barrels sometimes surface on guns made in the U.K. A fine example of these barrels was found on a 12G hammer double, by Ingram.This gun was covered in series of articles in the Shooting Times, circa 1986, by the late Geoffrey Boothroyd. Investigations carried out included X-Ray examination that clearly shows the one-piece construction.
So far as Mr Lippard,s work is concerned, despite being an excellent example of C.N.C machining, I could see no evidence in the process patent [not a design patent] that was not pre existing & established Tool design/manufacturing technology.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, there is a considerable amount of "Air Space" between the bbls & under the ribs on a conventional bbl set. I too worked for 35yrs as a machinist & put in quite a bit of time on CNC Milling Machines. Thet are marvelous machines, but all machines have their limits. Bores would have to be put in on precise angles & even the best of gun drills will veer a little sometimes from a perfectly straight line (I have been exposed to them also). Conventional bbl machining is also much different from what it was in the late 1800's. I don't know how many makers are using it but the "Roto-Forge" method of making bbls Ithaca began using in the early 80's could spit a perfectly straigt, round & concentric bbl out in seconds, starting with a blank tube about 12" long as I recall which wasted no metal at all. Tubes produced by such a method & combined with a CNC machined Mono-Block would be vastly more economical than machine the entire bbl, "+" it allows a different mat'l to be used for the lug area giving a different heat treat from the bbls, another consideration of some importance.
There are simply a lot of factors to be considered, no doubt the companies which build them have considered most of them.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the Las Vegas show several years ago, I tested one sample of Lippard's gun with one-piece barrels and found them to be of typical weight, balance, and MOI. I did not test them for regulation.

I'd surmise thw main factors on current level of acceptance. One, they are still costly relative to current maker's product cost. And, two, makers and their customers still have a lot of inertia in the direction of current current barrel assembly practice. I'm sure one-piece barrels will come, I'm just not sure when.

No one has mentioned yet that one-piece barrels appear very limited in repairability. Of course, if they become cheap enough, that would be a mote point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
When Builder and I visited Galazan's facility a few yrs back, he showed us at least one maybe more roto forge barrel machines. None were up and running at the time, but it looked like he'd acquired them secondhand. Maybe Ithaca?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck;
I recall in the late 70's early 80's Ithaca was advertizing these bbls big time. They stated how the cold forming process incressed the strength & hardness, producing a "Vastly Superior" bbl but the machinery was "Extremely Expensive", but they were "Willing" to utilize it to bring the customer the best possible product.
Then in about 1981 I read an article (By Ithaca) in one of the machining Trade Mags where different corporations wrote up how different processes had affected them. In this "Rag" they explained how the process had allowed them to drop the grade of steel used from 4140 as I recall to something on the order of 1030-1130 & the process resulted in the final product having essentially the "SAME Strength" as their previous bbls had. They further stated that with the savings in both mat'l & labor they expected to completely amortize the new equipment in approx 3 years. Beyond that time savings would be tremoundous.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.