May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (steve f, Mike Harrell), 810 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

IMHO the issues the NID had with improper fitting of the bolt and the guns kicking open in recoil would take it out of the running. They certainly didn't last long in the well advertised Winchester proof loads test.

Chuck, I think her name is Christina, and she is a very accomplished saleswoman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, Hack,
I almost bought two different examples of a P-gun sxs. They seem to be rare and now have gone thru the roof on price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wasn't there one of those German 'clamshell' actions in DGJ a few years back that had every lock-up imaginable and a longer bar on the action.

Maybe not mass produced, but it sure had to be hell for stout.

Mike
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Back when I was importing them, I was thankful that pictures of blown up Darnes were not seen on any of the boards.

They built rifles up to .500 Express on the R action. There are multiple locks, including a rising bite off the lever that engages an extension on the barrels, and a compound wedge held under extreme force, when the action is closed, by a serious action spring.

I'd put the R Darne up against any barn hinge gun for durability.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that "Screwing the Barrels to the Action Flats" Doesn't really do anything to reinforce the bending of the breech to the bar. I would guess these Big Bore double rifles held up because of ample steel in the frame & had little to do with the method of bolting. Likewise the forward bolt of a double underbolt adds virtually nothing to the integrity of the bolting. The above mentioned Win 21 used only one underbolt with no top fastening. The one bolt was ample to keep the gun "Shut", the quality & quantity of steel in the frame was ample to take the load.
Of course a properly designed & fitted top fastener can increase the strength of breeching a great amount, as it gives the breech support both top & bottom.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I say the Darnes are in the running, Ideals pretty damn stout also.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Darne R-series hands down, and probably the most durable as well. I've seen many loose Webleys, screw grips and all, and I've also seen a couple of loose Manufrance Ideals. I have NEVER seen or even heard of a loose Darne or a Darne with blown barrels or damaged action. Only problem I've heard of regarding Darnes are the stocks.

Guns built using the Jones Underlever system would probably be next in line. I'm not talking about underlevers with a spring that "snap" back automatically, I'm strictly refering to the manual lever system that actually "SCREWS" the barrels down to the action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Collath. (Strong, not best.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Likewise the forward bolt of a double underbolt adds virtually nothing to the integrity of the bolting." Exactly right.

As for 'screw' type locks, we've all seen threads get sloppy over time and eventually wear out. They are also dependent on proper tightening for strength.

As for barn hinge guns, jealousy is never a suit that fits well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think you guys are even close. My vote would have to go to the Ljutic. (You never thought of that, did you?) Their life expectency is easily a million rounds. And then you might need a firing pin. There are so few parts in them, there is hardly anything to wear out. There was an article on Ljutic #1 a few years ago and it was used well past one million rounds. All that was put into it was a firing pin and maybe something else minor. I have been shooting mine pretty much for eight years and the only thing that I have had trouble with was the small pin that works the ejector broke. And I never wanted it to begin with. When it broke, I just kept it with extractors. But, the Ljutic sure gets my vote...... Perazzis are good too, but there are too many parts in them to go wrong. They are probably good for a few hundred thousand rounds.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.