April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, bushveld, SKB, 2 invisible), 455 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired this vintage case and decided to see if I could make it usable again:

After cutting off the case top (the leather top will be re-used in phase II), yanking out the old felt and rebuilding the wood to fit the dimensions of my gun, I relayed new felt, and did a small oil painting on panel of chukars I shot last year (with the gun that goes in this case), to use as the compartment lid. I used an old Federal Monark 16ga. base as the compartment lid grip:

Next to come are the leather straps to hold the gun in, oil bottles, leather label, etc. I am planning on using red suede on the inside of the case top with cutouts to put hunting photos, photos of my dog, the gun, etc. as mementos, to remind me of great times every time I open the case. It also occured to me that the oil painting would be an easy upgrade on new cases as well.

This is a fun project!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice job so far. It does look like a fun project.
Make sure you post pictures when you progress further.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very cool! Keep us updated.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! I hope to have it done by the end of October or so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, if I had the gift to paint a picture like that, I'd not waste it by putting it in a gun case where nobody'd see it...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks George, but I don't mind. I get plenty of work hung in galleries so this is a nice diversion for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that Mark will be the first to agree but lining/relining a case with felt isn't all that difficult and actually kind of fun. I've built sectioned pistol cases over the years and I believe anyone with just basic skills can do a credible lining job. Also the improvement as you can see from Marks example is notable.
Here is a quick picture of a cased pair of vintage Colts. They are cased in the French style that follow the outline of the gun rather than using compartments.
Don't want to hijack your thread Mark and I'm awaiting the leather restoration part of this. I also wish I had your artistic talent.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

I like it, I like it a lot.....

I'm having a case reworked right now myself though I doubt it turns out quite like yours.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

My first case restoration was done using inexpensive felt. Do yourself a favor and get billiard cloth from a pool table restoration service. The felt is far superior and lasts a lot longer.

Use fairly thin leather if you are going to replace the leather covering. Don't use full thickness skins. It's just too thick. All good leather suppliers can split a hide for you.

Good luck.

Allan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good advice, thanks. I would like to retain the original leather top, but the sides are not salvagable. So, my plan is to make a new top with 1/4 x 1.5" oak sides with a 1/4" plywood top with the original leather glued on top, and butted up to the edge of the oak trim around the sides. Does that sound like a good plan? The original leather has lots of character as you can see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.